logo
Old 10-17-2006, 07:26 AM
Find More Posts by SleepyC
USA, OH, Aurora
Joined Jan 2006
30,070 Posts
Flood of new planes..... STOP IT!!!!!!

Ok.. so I picked up the new issue of Fly RC yesterday...
Got home, and headed for the ..Ahh Hummmm "Reading room".

Flipped open the mag and did the initial flip through...

There are SOOOOOOOO many new planes available...

WTF... come on! How can I deal with this...

Great Planes has a new 41" little electric YAK for $99, and so do like 3 other companies have new yaks, and then there was an electric CAP and OMG... just WAY toooo many planes...

I went into the reading room thinking I had what I needed... I came out (feeling refreshed) but now I have a list of panes that I "NEED".

I need to not buy the magazines.. the advertising works WAY too WELL...

SleepyC is offline Find More Posts by SleepyC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 10-17-2006, 07:32 AM
BAS
Find More Posts by BAS
BAS
ALTOONA , IOWA
Joined Jan 2006
891 Posts
Re: Flood of new planes..... STOP IT!!!!!!

Yea iits a frustrating isnt it . You wish you had the bucks to get them all. I have found that i got to many now to keep up all the little maintenance items in sink. Seems like i get one fixed and then its on to the next one. Out of my numerous planes something like 15 only 5 or 6 are ready to fly at any given time. I guess its good though that we have choices to pick from and the more that come out the cheaper in price they seem to get and quality gets better to.
BAS is offline Find More Posts by BAS
Old 10-17-2006, 07:37 AM
Find More Posts by Jaybird
Jay Florida
Joined Jan 2006
3,713 Posts

That GP Yak looks pretty good. I wonder if the guts from an EF Extra would be too big?
Jaybird is offline Find More Posts by Jaybird
Old 10-17-2006, 07:42 AM
USA, OH, Aurora
Joined Jan 2006
30,070 Posts

Don't get me wrong... its amazing how the manufacturers are making quality planes for the prices they are offering them... but being that this hobby is an addiction... controlling said addiction is SOOO hard when there are so many choices!

I keep saying.. OK this is the last plane I need... I have enough... I'm good... I'm done for a while...
and then... I open the magazines, or see an ad here on the FG.. and BAM.. the sickness sets in...
it starts as a small dot in the back of the brain.. "nice plane, but I don't need it"...

then that dot grows into a spot..."Hmmm... thats a nice plane... I may get one someday"

Then the spot becomes a pretty big ball.. "Hmmm... that plane may need to be bought soon"

Then the Ball consumes the back half of the brain and " Ok.. I get paid Friday, this much pays the bills, and such and I'll have just enough extra "play cash" to get it." (Not thinking that the $99 plane will cost you $400 before your done"

The next thing I know I "come too" with the new kit in my hands covered in CA, with a bag of "accessories" to put in the little sucker... some how during my "black out" I have purchased the plane, a new motor, 4 servos, and anything else I needed to make it work...

MAN.... sometimes... I really think there needs to be a BETTY FORD program for RC.
Old 10-17-2006, 12:16 PM
BAS
Find More Posts by BAS
BAS
ALTOONA , IOWA
Joined Jan 2006
891 Posts

Man i thought i was the only one who felt that way , you hit it on the head exactly. Even if i pay cash for the plane it seems like i call online distributors for parts and use my C C man that is where i go wrong. Should just send a money order when i have the actual cash to buy all the parts and ect.
BAS is offline Find More Posts by BAS
Old 10-17-2006, 02:31 PM
Find More Posts by wizard
It will fly!!!
Washington, Indiana
Joined Jan 2006
13,374 Posts

Sleepy, I know the drill. It seems like almost every almost every week I'm trying to decide what to order for the week. Yesterday my new RC skydiver kit came in. Today was the rest of the covering, tubing for the struts, and a Perry pump for the drop plane. Also a new covering trim iron, new iron socks, a new hot glove, more CA and kicker, a new high start. . . I made the mistake of totaling up what I had spent from just one supplier this year, Over $2000. When you consider that I have ordered from Tower, Horizon, DA, Aviation Models, Donald's hobby, RC skydiver, Dymond RC, Radical RC, ebay, and others, plus what I have spent at local hobby stores.... I don't even want to think about it
wizard is offline Find More Posts by wizard
Old 10-17-2006, 02:55 PM
Find More Posts by Redneck Shaun
"GIT ER DONE"
Gainesville,Texas
Joined Jan 2006
1,323 Posts

Quote:
I keep saying.. OK this is the last plane I need... I have enough... I'm good... I'm done for a while...
Man you have just read my mind.
I also was busy doing some paper work last night. When I took out the newest RC mag and there are at least three 35%'ers that caught my eye. I just got a new 28%, and told myself this would be good enough for now.
Dang.where does this addiction stop? Do I need to just go ahead and go pick up a airliner?
RS
Redneck Shaun is offline Find More Posts by Redneck Shaun
Old 10-17-2006, 03:21 PM
Find More Posts by Biff
South Carolina
Joined Jan 2006
3,223 Posts

New airplanes are just like all the women who pop up after you're married. Better to look and lust than sample. Come to think of it, airplanes are like wives. Stay with the one you got until such time as you can't stand it anymore, then just rotate your stock. Replacing a wife is the only thing a bit LESS costly than an airplane. Love the one you're with!!
Biff is offline Find More Posts by Biff
Old 10-17-2006, 04:19 PM
USA, OH, Aurora
Joined Jan 2006
30,070 Posts

Quote:
Come to think of it, airplanes are like wives. Stay with the one you got until such time as you can't stand it anymore, then just rotate your stock. Replacing a wife is the only thing a bit LESS costly than an airplane. Love the one you're with!!
Biff I'm trying... I've finally done this with my big planes. I have a few I'm happy done deal...
gonna fly those until I HAVE to get another...

But the smaller ones are like Lays potato chips... they are cheap enough that you can't just have one... BUT I am restraining.... but MAN the MANUFACTURERS sure do make it hard.

Allthough, it's much better to be complaining about TOO many quality decently priced planes than not enough!!
Old 10-17-2006, 07:16 PM
Find More Posts by hillmanr2
Joined Jan 2006
828 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff
New airplanes are just like all the women who pop up after you're married. Better to look and lust than sample. Come to think of it, airplanes are like wives. Stay with the one you got until such time as you can't stand it anymore, then just rotate your stock. Replacing a wife is the only thing a bit LESS costly than an airplane. Love the one you're with!!
thats kinda what I try to do but I need one wife plane and a whole bunch of girlfriend planes. At least planes don't care if you play with other planes.

2 foamies one outdoor one indoor/front yard
1 small heli (cause it's fun to crash)LOL
1 trainer for kids
1 40 size winter smasher/ crasher
1 giant scale next year it will be 2 (one for backup)

everything else has long been trashbaged
I am trying to stay away from the vast assortment of small electric "park flyers"
hillmanr2 is offline Find More Posts by hillmanr2
Old 10-17-2006, 08:07 PM
Find More Posts by 66stang
Fly it like you hate it!
Collinsville, IL
Joined Jan 2006
4,925 Posts

Man I feel your pain... Plus it doesn't help that building season is here!. Doh
66stang is offline Find More Posts by 66stang
Old 10-17-2006, 10:09 PM
Find More Posts by rede2fly
GRAVITY SUCKS
florida
Joined Jan 2006
4,821 Posts

hey good to know their are others out there. i think the hardest thing is trying to figure out what is good and bad . you read sooooo much about planes that are good and then you read all the things that are bad. it way too hard to figure out whats what heres what i do alot. 1st buy the plane and look at it for a while and DONT touch it just look. after a week or 2 i figure i really dont want it and resell it. all i loose is my time. then after a few planes you find the one that just says BUILD ME. and BAM its a winner sometimes i loose a little on the transaction but its better than paying full price on a plane you dont want. (talking 20 or less) its like a nicorett patch, and its gets me over the wants for a while speaking of which know anyone that wants a n.i.b. spirit elite 2 meter arf for 100.00 shipped
rede2fly is offline Find More Posts by rede2fly
Old 10-17-2006, 10:24 PM
Find More Posts by Uncle Brett
Huntington Beach CA.
Joined Jan 2006
1,318 Posts

Quote:
Come to think of it, airplanes are like wives. Stay with the one you got until such time as you can't stand it anymore, then just rotate your stock.
LOL
Biff, I thought you were going to say "untill you put her into the ground".
Uncle Brett is offline Find More Posts by Uncle Brett
Old 10-18-2006, 12:00 AM
Find More Posts by GremlinX
Father of the Scale Furum
Chapel Hill, TN
Joined Jan 2006
4,595 Posts

Quote:
Find a woman you hate, buy her a house. Now, go enjoy the hobby and buy lots of planes... its cheaper in the long run ehh?
Sleepy, I have to quit reading mags, they make me impulse buy...
GremlinX is offline Find More Posts by GremlinX
Old 10-18-2006, 12:16 AM
Find More Posts by 66stang
Fly it like you hate it!
Collinsville, IL
Joined Jan 2006
4,925 Posts

Yeah it's amazing how that $20 subscription to a mag, in the long run cost you thousands.
66stang is offline Find More Posts by 66stang

Quick Reply