logo
Old 02-26-2012, 04:34 PM
Find More Posts by kerwin50
cameron mo
Joined Oct 2010
1,471 Posts
Guys speaking as an old guy, I can honestly say that people like Mode 1 bash the ARF people because they can no longer go to the field having the nicest looking plane out there and pat them selves on the back.
Before the ARF's, there were lots of ugly planes at the flying field and people like Mode 1 poking fun at them.
Now people like that just hate it when there is a whole flight line full of good looking planes and it's they're planes that look so god awful ugly.

Now while I'm not any good at covering, when it comes to building and designing aircraft, I've forgotten more than most of these ARF bashers ever knew. So when ever they bash me I ask how many planes have you ever built with out a set of pre drawn plans and just a box of balsa. My self I can count 20 such planes, but then again I've been in this hobby since 1964
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 02-26-2012, 04:47 PM
Find More Posts by zzw26n
United States, MI, Shelby Charter Township
Joined Mar 2006
2,033 Posts
Man, I Love Threads like this ......
zzw26n is offline Find More Posts by zzw26n
Old 02-27-2012, 07:37 PM
Find More Posts by bbrown2828
Team Futaba
United States, AR, Paragould
Joined May 2010
2,512 Posts
Well I got one of my crankcases in today from the usa Distributer and Guess what the same problem as the last crankcase they sent me...but with the last crankcase the Rod bottomed out so bad you couldnt turn the crank when everything was tighted down well on this one you can just feel a small bit of rubbing going on when you turn the crank.... with the old crankcase on there was about a 1/8 inch of clearance.. with the new one you cant even get a small picece of paper inbetween the Rod and the Crankcase with out it hitting.. here are some picture
bbrown2828 is offline Find More Posts by bbrown2828
Old 02-27-2012, 09:37 PM
Find More Posts by MODE 1
Joined Jul 2008
4,715 Posts
Split the case and see where the scuff marks are you may be fortunate enough to dremel of a few thou in a localized area without compromising the case thickness or sealing surface.
MODE 1 is offline Find More Posts by MODE 1
Old 02-27-2012, 10:13 PM
Team Futaba
Joined May 2010
2,512 Posts
Yeah had done though bout that but shouldnt have to do that parts should fit
If I have to do that will be the last Resort ya know that have some ****** tolarances on they cnc machines in china I guess
Old 02-27-2012, 10:20 PM
Team Futaba
Joined May 2010
2,512 Posts
I had this happen to another dla engien about 6 months ago and the crankcase they sent out then did the same thing it bottomed out also the dealer replaced that engine
Old 02-28-2012, 04:25 AM
Find More Posts by a1pcfixer
Counter agent of B.S.
La Porte, IN
Joined Sep 2006
657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerwin50 View Post
Guys speaking as an old guy, I can honestly say that people like Mode 1 bash the ARF people because they can no longer go to the field having the nicest looking plane out there and pat them selves on the back.
Before the ARF's, there were lots of ugly planes at the flying field and people like Mode 1 poking fun at them.
Now people like that just hate it when there is a whole flight line full of good looking planes and it's they're planes that look so god awful ugly.

Now while I'm not any good at covering, when it comes to building and designing aircraft, I've forgotten more than most of these ARF bashers ever knew. So when ever they bash me I ask how many planes have you ever built with out a set of pre drawn plans and just a box of balsa. My self I can count 20 such planes, but then again I've been in this hobby since 1964
Another thing often heard from many who scatch build is the cost of covering material alone has greatly dampened those who do/did scatch build. Like you mentioned, most ARF's now days have a pretty good quality to them rivaling what you used to do from scatch.

I greatly respect those who can still do such (I sure can't), but alas it's becoming a lost art, one relegated to models long out of production and now solely a love of a job well done.
a1pcfixer is offline Find More Posts by a1pcfixer
Old 02-28-2012, 09:02 AM
Find More Posts by PropsnWings
AMA LM CD IP
Joined Jul 2011
4,385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1pcfixer View Post
Another thing often heard from many who scatch build is the cost of covering material alone has greatly dampened those who do/did scatch build. Like you mentioned, most ARF's now days have a pretty good quality to them rivaling what you used to do from scatch.

I greatly respect those who can still do such (I sure can't), but alas it's becoming a lost art, one relegated to models long out of production and now solely a love of a job well done.
I have to agree with some of your points. I have only come to the ARF world recently (fully) due to the lack of kits available, the cost of materials has greatly went up, making scratch building less desirable, and the fact I just cant compete with the ARF pricing unless I go El Cheapo on all my hardware.... and even then I still come out over what the ARF version costs.

I do miss the days of building everything.... but times change, and so must I.
PropsnWings is offline Find More Posts by PropsnWings
Old 02-29-2012, 08:10 AM
Find More Posts by mighty9
Joined Sep 2008
1,285 Posts
I see the aussie engine man had more great advice again.He always has a way to share knowledge without making it a big deal like other SO CALLED experts that spout off here.Thanks for being civil Steve. Theres a reason all the others have their own forum now where they can all slap their dicks on the table and brag how big they are when they cant actually piss without getting their zippers wet.Im glad when i was in the learning stages people actually took the time to teach me the hobby. They didnt just insult me into using a search function to read through 1000s of pages of non relevant material.
Now to the op what kind of sealer are you using between the crank halves? Also are you sure the front crank isnt walking back and forth?
mighty9 is offline Find More Posts by mighty9
Old 02-29-2012, 09:54 AM
Find More Posts by astrohog
movin' on
Bellingham, WA
Joined Jul 2007
2,191 Posts
I am not sure how this thread got sidetracked to yet ANOTHER build vs. ARF thread, but it seems clear to me that it should be ANOTHER "ya get what ya pay for" thread!

There are a plethora of engine options available to us now, more than enough to satisfy each and every one of us, whether we are looking for the lightest, cheapest, highest revving, most torque, best warranty/factory support, etc., etc.

No matter what brand you might be a fan of, there has been enough information (propoganda?) presented here in these forums, that each of us ought to KNOW the potential shortcomings of the particular engine that we decide on.

In this particular instance, the OP chose to buy what I consider a "budget" brand engine that in some instances has proven to be a reliable engine, but not without POTENTIAL quality and warranty/service issues. There have been enough threads on this brand as well as others to put at least a REASONABLE DOUBT into ANY potential buyers mind, can you say, "Caveat Emptor"?

What I don't get is when one purchases said engine that has POTENTIAL KNOWN ISSUES (in order to save a bit of $$), then comes to the forums and pronounces their "unhappiness" with that engine!

After being a loyal, "name brand" owner for years, I decided to try a "budget" 50cc engine. Turns out, it was a total POS! Did I come on the forums and slam the brand and express my disappointment? NO, because I was aware of the potential pitfalls!

I DO applaud the OP for trying to figure out a "home-brew" solution to his issue in order to make the best of his situation, but I would hope that he (and others that have experienced this) would post a "You get what you pay for" thread, or a "I learned my lesson" thread, instead of a "I am disappointed" thread.

After all, there has been MORE THAN ENOUGH threads here to at least plant the seed of doubt in anyone's mind that is considering the purchase of a "budget" engine.

Regards,

Astrohog
astrohog is offline Find More Posts by astrohog
Old 02-29-2012, 11:06 AM
Team Futaba
Joined May 2010
2,512 Posts
yes the cranks isnt going back and forth its in there and thats just a dry fit before I put the sealer in... also the case can only go together one way there is an alignment pin that lines them both up
Old 02-29-2012, 05:05 PM
Find More Posts by aussiesteve
Clothed Account
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined May 2008
2,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohog View Post
I am not sure how this thread got sidetracked to yet ANOTHER build vs. ARF thread, but it seems clear to me that it should be ANOTHER "ya get what ya pay for" thread!

There are a plethora of engine options available to us now, more than enough to satisfy each and every one of us, whether we are looking for the lightest, cheapest, highest revving, most torque, best warranty/factory support, etc., etc.

No matter what brand you might be a fan of, there has been enough information (propoganda?) presented here in these forums, that each of us ought to KNOW the potential shortcomings of the particular engine that we decide on.

In this particular instance, the OP chose to buy what I consider a "budget" brand engine that in some instances has proven to be a reliable engine, but not without POTENTIAL quality and warranty/service issues. There have been enough threads on this brand as well as others to put at least a REASONABLE DOUBT into ANY potential buyers mind, can you say, "Caveat Emptor"?

What I don't get is when one purchases said engine that has POTENTIAL KNOWN ISSUES (in order to save a bit of $$), then comes to the forums and pronounces their "unhappiness" with that engine!

After being a loyal, "name brand" owner for years, I decided to try a "budget" 50cc engine. Turns out, it was a total POS! Did I come on the forums and slam the brand and express my disappointment? NO, because I was aware of the potential pitfalls!

I DO applaud the OP for trying to figure out a "home-brew" solution to his issue in order to make the best of his situation, but I would hope that he (and others that have experienced this) would post a "You get what you pay for" thread, or a "I learned my lesson" thread, instead of a "I am disappointed" thread.

After all, there has been MORE THAN ENOUGH threads here to at least plant the seed of doubt in anyone's mind that is considering the purchase of a "budget" engine.

Regards,

Astrohog
You are absolutely correct but I will add a few things.

There are a number of earlier posts in this thread that have been removed by (I am guessing here) the admin of this site. Those posts reinforced exactly what you are saying but (again, it is a guess - but an educated one) the admin of this site probably were worried that the sellers of the latest "Best buy" might be upset.

Whilst such things occur on forums there can only be doubts about the validity of what you read. If you see a group of sellers advertising their latest wares through multiple threads on a site - beware of that btrand. I learnt a long time ago to go with the 2 or 3 best brands and pay a little more for them. I have saved a LOT of money in the longer term by doing that (And the DA's and BME's are shiny so they help satisfy that particular "need" for some).
aussiesteve is offline Find More Posts by aussiesteve
Old 02-29-2012, 05:43 PM
Counter agent of B.S.
La Porte, IN
Joined Sep 2006
657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohog View Post
.................. it seems clear to me that it should be ANOTHER "ya get what ya pay for" thread!
Hmmmm, maybe you didn't read this entire thread? I hinted at as much in posts # 10, 29, and 31.
I doubt the OP needs more reminders of the same.

Quote:
....................can you say, "Caveat Emptor"?
Astrohog
Must be an echo in here.....post #31
Old 02-29-2012, 05:48 PM
Counter agent of B.S.
La Porte, IN
Joined Sep 2006
657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiesteve View Post
You are absolutely correct but I will add a few things.

There are a number of earlier posts in this thread that have been removed by (I am guessing here) the admin of this site. Those posts ..........
Post(s)?........I only noticed #79.
Was there others? None appear as such.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:31 PM
Find More Posts by aussiesteve
Clothed Account
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined May 2008
2,366 Posts
Yes - post"s"
A number of them from the first page. Some of which had specifics of the OP's engine and cases of a similar brand doing the same thing.

It is why there appears to be some people replying to things that aren't there.

To FG admin - if your advertisers are stopping your members posting facts, then they gotta wonder who they are advertising to. - It doesn't take long beofre the only people posting will be those associated with the selling.
aussiesteve is offline Find More Posts by aussiesteve

Quick Reply