logo
Old 01-21-2013, 03:52 PM
Find More Posts by Salam
Springfield, VA
Joined Jan 2011
40 Posts
I have put together a Hangar 9 Saratoga 40 for my friend (Adrian) and mounted the new Evolution 10GX onto it. I ran it this morning for the first time and it ran pretty well. I will run it for some more time on the ground and will fine tune it before its maiden flight. This is going to scream this Saratoga.

Here are some photos and a video of the first run. I have an 8oz Fortitude RC gas tank with 20:1 fuel mix with a 2S LiFe on RX and another one on the ignition. The plane still needs some finishing touches and needs to be balanced.

Evolution 10GX 10CC Engine - First run (2 min 36 sec)
Salam is offline Find More Posts by Salam
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 01-23-2013, 07:37 AM
Find More Posts by Brunofporto
Flyin' Around
Joined Jan 2013
3 Posts
It sound really nice for a first run! On the manual they recommend to do the break in during flight. Do you feel that this engine is reliable enough to flight at the very first fuel tank?

Thanks!
Brunofporto is offline Find More Posts by Brunofporto
Last edited by Brunofporto; 01-23-2013 at 11:30 AM.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:21 AM
Find More Posts by Salam
Springfield, VA
Joined Jan 2011
40 Posts
I ran one full tank on the ground with breaks in between and it did not stop after I adjusted a nice idle. I kept it slightly rich. Next tank I am going to fly it and will see how it goes. It feels and sounds very reliable to me.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:27 PM
Find More Posts by fabmaster911
United States, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Apr 2008
460 Posts
subd
fabmaster911 is offline Find More Posts by fabmaster911
Old 02-01-2013, 08:15 PM
Find More Posts by RappyMan
Help - I like helicopters
United States, IA, Elk Horn
Joined Jan 2006
1,353 Posts
I just put one on Funtana 40 and gave it a first flight with the motor this evening. Looks like it will be a great little motor. Has anyone else had the black exhaust oil coming out of the screw in the front of the muffler? It seems tight and also seems like it should come out the exhaust pipe. The bottom of the plane is pretty covered in black oil as well. Hope this trait clears up some.
RappyMan is offline Find More Posts by RappyMan
Old 02-01-2013, 09:48 PM
Find More Posts by rcpilot82
KAD Laser Cutting
Western, pa, usa
Joined Mar 2006
3,084 Posts
Mine was delivered today. It is going on a scratched out Omp katana profile.
rcpilot82 is offline Find More Posts by rcpilot82
Old 02-01-2013, 10:48 PM
Find More Posts by derdude
Joined Jul 2008
44 Posts
Yes. We I have had a ton of the black junk. Talked to Horizon rep at the AMA show. They say in time it will go a way. Mine is not as bad as it used to be put it is still a mess after each flight. Simple Green after each flight. The muffler has keeps coming loose since first flight. I have about 10 flights on it. I put some J&B weld on it and will try it this weekend.
I have the engine in a Pulse 40. A little to much engine for the Pulse but it was a plane I had sitting.
derdude is offline Find More Posts by derdude
Old 02-01-2013, 10:50 PM
Find More Posts by derdude
Joined Jul 2008
44 Posts
Yes. Manual does say to break it in, in the air. Full bore doing Cuban 8's. That is how I did mine. No problems other then the mess...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunofporto View Post
It sound really nice for a first run! On the manual they recommend to do the break in during flight. Do you feel that this engine is reliable enough to flight at the very first fuel tank?

Thanks!
derdude is offline Find More Posts by derdude
Old 02-01-2013, 11:38 PM
Find More Posts by Salam
Springfield, VA
Joined Jan 2011
40 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RappyMan View Post
I just put one on Funtana 40 and gave it a first flight with the motor this evening. Looks like it will be a great little motor. Has anyone else had the black exhaust oil coming out of the screw in the front of the muffler? It seems tight and also seems like it should come out the exhaust pipe. The bottom of the plane is pretty covered in black oil as well. Hope this trait clears up some.
I saw some black oil dripping from the muffler so I tighten the flat head bolt on the muffler and that is gone. Black residue is okay but it should come of the exhaust pipe.

Old 02-01-2013, 11:44 PM
Find More Posts by Salam
Springfield, VA
Joined Jan 2011
40 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by derdude View Post
Yes. We I have had a ton of the black junk. Talked to Horizon rep at the AMA show. They say in time it will go a way. Mine is not as bad as it used to be put it is still a mess after each flight. Simple Green after each flight. The muffler has keeps coming loose since first flight. I have about 10 flights on it. I put some J&B weld on it and will try it this weekend.
I have the engine in a Pulse 40. A little to much engine for the Pulse but it was a plane I had sitting.
Torque the two muffler bolts after you run the engine and when the muffler is hot. They will not come loose. Or use Red RTV (gasket maker) on the bolts and they will be secured. You can use the Red RTV between the muffler and cylinder as well to make them secured but in that case you need the supplied gasket.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:12 PM
Find More Posts by RappyMan
Help - I like helicopters
United States, IA, Elk Horn
Joined Jan 2006
1,353 Posts
Yep - the bolt down the length of the muffler had come a little loose. I put it together with the high temp orange RTV stuff on all joints and it is doing a bunch better. The amount of black seems to be getting less too. However I crashed the Funtana... so flying is out for a bit while I rebuild.
RappyMan is offline Find More Posts by RappyMan
Old 02-06-2013, 10:20 AM
Find More Posts by jspauld2
Horizon Hobby Employee
Joined Dec 2012
38 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salam View Post
I have put together a Hangar 9 Saratoga 40 for my friend (Adrian) and mounted the new Evolution 10GX onto it. I ran it this morning for the first time and it ran pretty well. I will run it for some more time on the ground and will fine tune it before its maiden flight. This is going to scream this Saratoga.

Here are some photos and a video of the first run. I have an 8oz Fortitude RC gas tank with 20:1 fuel mix with a 2S LiFe on RX and another one on the ignition. The plane still needs some finishing touches and needs to be balanced.

Evolution 10GX 10CC Engine - First run on Vimeo
Salam,

How's the Saratoga going? Has you or your friend gotten a chance to fly it yet?

Jimmy
jspauld2 is offline Find More Posts by jspauld2
Old 02-06-2013, 12:18 PM
Find More Posts by Salam
Springfield, VA
Joined Jan 2011
40 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspauld2 View Post
Salam,

Jimmy
Jimmy, it is all dressed up, is at a go status and only waiting for a nice flyable weather. Most probably this coming Sunday we will fly it.

I only ran one tank on the ground and the rest of the break-in will be done in the air. Looks a very stable and strong engine for its size.

Will keep you posted!
Old 02-06-2013, 12:36 PM
Find More Posts by PontiusPilot
Flyin' Around
Joined May 2012
3 Posts
Hey Jimmy, this is Adrian. I was trying to figure out if I met you when I visited last June. John Redman gave me a tour of the facility and later we played with Gary Katzer with a few boats. The following day we went out to Eli Field and flew some of John's planes.

I met Pete Bergstrom there and he's the one that let me fly his Saratoga with the then unreleased engine. I loved it so much I got back home and ordered a Saratoga and waited for the engine to come out. Now we're just waiting for good weather.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspauld2 View Post
Salam,

Jimmy
PontiusPilot is offline Find More Posts by PontiusPilot
Old 02-06-2013, 12:43 PM
Find More Posts by Salam
Springfield, VA
Joined Jan 2011
40 Posts
Do I know you Adrian? Just kidding. LOL

Sunday might be a problem for you to come to the field (Church) but that is the day I am hoping the weather would be better.

Some photos of your plane.

Quick Reply