Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 12-09-2011, 08:12 AM
Find More Posts by boggintuff
Sigh...really?
United States, KS, Overland Park
Joined Dec 2009
2,993 Posts
@ Wrongway, I was informed that the MPI arms fit better on the MKS HV-767 servos because of the slightly shorter spline length...any input there?
boggintuff is offline Find More Posts by boggintuff
Old 12-09-2011, 08:19 AM
Find More Posts by zajo
skopje macedinija
Joined Sep 2007
159 Posts
Question:
Are the MKS servos at Hobby king the same quality as at the Troy Build Models for example?
zajo is offline Find More Posts by zajo
Old 12-09-2011, 08:24 AM
Find More Posts by 1bigben
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Nov 2008
769 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zajo View Post
Question:
Are the MKS servos at Hobby king the same quality as at the Troy Build Models for example?
Doesn't seem to matter any longer as HK can't get restocked from MKS. I bought their HK 767'S and they are great.
1bigben is online now Find More Posts by 1bigben
Old 12-09-2011, 08:38 AM
Sigh...really?
Joined Dec 2009
2,993 Posts
Anything from HK is/can be questionable in my book. They are likely made with cheaper electronics....thus the lower cost. At least that's what I was told by a rep from MKS...which is another reason HK isn't getting anymore.
Old 12-09-2011, 09:25 AM
Find More Posts by RCToon
Dubai, UAE
Joined Dec 2009
880 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WrongWayRC View Post
Here is the dreaded DS1210 on throttle on A123 with almost 4 hours of run time. Flawless...

On each aileron on this plane the DS 660+ on rudder and elevator the HV-767.(watch the servo speed of elevator in hover, I am loving these)

Why do I sell SWB arms? Because I have tried them and they are good and I only sell Servos, Arms, props, kits.. whatever.... that I have tried and believe in.
Now this is confusing...
There was a poster on this thread who burned two DS1210s using them with A123. I burned one DS1210 within a couple of mins of powering it with A123. One of the spokespersons for MKS on this thread kept insisting that they will burn on A123 as they are not rated for more than 6 volts and its all about knowledge and education. And yet you have hours of flawless runtime on the same setup. What does it all mean?
RCToon is offline Find More Posts by RCToon
Old 12-09-2011, 09:53 AM
Find More Posts by WrongWayRC
Dot Com-ing it...
Ormond Beach, FL
Joined Sep 2008
4,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boggintuff View Post
@ Wrongway, I was informed that the MPI arms fit better on the MKS HV-767 servos because of the slightly shorter spline length...any input there?
I don't have any MPI to compare. The SWB fit perfect. I am running 2 inch and 1.5 inch SWB
WrongWayRC is offline Find More Posts by WrongWayRC
Last edited by WrongWayRC; 12-09-2011 at 09:53 AM. Reason: typo
Old 12-09-2011, 10:10 AM
Find More Posts by WrongWayRC
Dot Com-ing it...
Ormond Beach, FL
Joined Sep 2008
4,091 Posts
Here is another DS1210 that I mounted in a test box on A123 power (that is all I use)

It has maybe an hour or more of run time besides this vid. I have another in the rudder of a small profile and it is on A123 power no problem.

These servos have the same size box as the big hitec next to them...I know the hitec is rated at 333 torque and the DS1210 is only 138 so I only use them in locations that dont require more than that...

Recently, in a separate test I loaded an A123 - 2300 with a 15 amp draw on the Powerlab 8. I let it draw out about half the pack and noted the voltage before and after I took the 15 amp load off of it... After giving off half of the pack the difference between the loaded and unloaded voltage was about .2v What that tells me is anywhere you put an A123 you need to consider what kind of load any brand servo is capable of and required in the location because the A123 wont let up. I imagine I could re do the servo video and ask that $36 servo to lift a 20 pound load and burn it up in short order.

Any input on you guys who have burnt them what was the placement? What part of flight was it in?

I had one customer burn up a 1210 servo... then he promptly burned up a hitec, then his receiver... seems he mistakenly plugged in his 3 wire balance tap to the receiver on the bench...servos didnt like that.....

FWIW, I am pushing these beyond the recommended 6v and wont be looking for warranty if something goes bad... we will see, time will tell...

Ds1210.MOV (5 min 14 sec)
WrongWayRC is offline Find More Posts by WrongWayRC
Last edited by WrongWayRC; 12-09-2011 at 10:11 AM. Reason: edit - add in vid
Old 12-09-2011, 12:12 PM
Find More Posts by JCFLYR
Team Chaos
United States, MI, Mason
Joined Apr 2011
913 Posts
Thanks boggintuff for pointing me here. I just purchased 8 MKS-767hv servos and a DS-1210 from TBM for a 104in AJ Slick 540 project. The DS-1210 was gonna be my throttle servo and I was going to run it unregulated with an A123 6.6 volt nanophosphate. It is a bit disheartning that you have to regulate it but I wont lose a plane because of it. TBM also said to use the MPI futaba arms as they fit better than the SWB arms on the MKS servos. I found that to be a bit odd, but went with their recommendation as they are one of the few distributors to test the products they sell. My slick won't be airborn until spring of the first 50 degree day we have in 2012, but I will let you know how they work. Thanks for all the input and help guys, these forums have saved thousands of airplanes and saved countless marriages from guys like me having to tell my wife I gotta work more overtime to finance and build another airplane.
JCFLYR is offline Find More Posts by JCFLYR
Old 12-09-2011, 02:35 PM
Dubai, UAE
Joined Dec 2009
880 Posts
"Any input on you guys who have burnt them what was the placement? What part of flight was it in?"

My servo failed on the ground, barely a min after I had started the engine. It was placed in the engine box, yes it was subject to a lot of vibrations, I had a ZDZ80 running there.
Old 12-09-2011, 02:42 PM
Dubai, UAE
Joined Dec 2009
880 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCToon View Post
"Any input on you guys who have burnt them what was the placement? What part of flight was it in?"

My servo failed on the ground, barely a min after I had started the engine. It was placed in the engine box, yes it was subject to a lot of vibrations, I had a ZDZ80 running there.
Also wanted to ask you, I am using your voltage reducers for the ignitions. What is the current rating for the diodes? On a plane with 4 X DS1210's would I be able to use a voltage reducer between the switch and the receiver to drop the voltage? I am just worried that if I have all 4 servos in full deflection like in a flatspin, if the current draw is so high that the diodes burn, that will be a sure shot disaster.
Old 12-09-2011, 02:54 PM
Find More Posts by Eganwp
Jesus saves!
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Feb 2009
1,025 Posts
You would need a larger current diode for what your asking. MUCH larger.

The ones we use on the ignitions are IN4007 rated at 1amp. Fine for ignitions but no where near for RX/servos. Look into Smart Fly or any other quality brand voltage regulators for you rx/servos instead.
Eganwp is offline Find More Posts by Eganwp
Old 12-09-2011, 03:02 PM
Dubai, UAE
Joined Dec 2009
880 Posts
OK thanks!
Old 12-09-2011, 08:30 PM
Find More Posts by Bikman
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2011
854 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCToon View Post
Every servo advertised as 6volts can run on A123 (except DS1210). Ok I change my statement, they are crap for aeromodelling.
+1 if they don't support 6V they should be rated to 4.8V only

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarks View Post
Not true. Some Hyperion servos are rated at 6v and will fry on A123s
Which ones ? I have some Hyperion servos rated 6V and have been running them with a 6.6V Duralite A123 pack over 2 years and never had a problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by boggintuff View Post
Anything from HK is/can be questionable in my book. They are likely made with cheaper electronics....thus the lower cost. At least that's what I was told by a rep from MKS...which is another reason HK isn't getting anymore.
cheaper electronics ? can you prove it ?
Turnigy does not manufacture any servo they are made by MKS, the lower cost means they get them directly from the factory in Taiwan nothing else, but there will be another MKS distributor in China very soon with lower prices than american distributor.. oh YA!

HK wont get them anymore because they were selling them under the MSRP and MKS USA did not like that because they want the biggest margin porofit for them.
rep MKS = fanboy = discounts or stuff for FREE.

few examples:

BLS950 119$ (dealer price under 67$) http://www.mksservosusa.com/product....7&cat=2&page=1
BLS980 125$ (dealer price under 68$) http://www.mksservosusa.com/product....9&cat=2&page=1
Bikman is offline Find More Posts by Bikman
Last edited by Bikman; 12-09-2011 at 08:35 PM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled) Quick reply to this message (Disabled)
Old 12-10-2011, 06:48 AM
Sigh...really?
Joined Dec 2009
2,993 Posts
Bikman your reading comprehension needs some work...read my post again. I CLEARLY said that's what the rep told me.
Nor did I even remotely come close to saying that Turnigy made the servos. So no I cant prove it. No I am not a fanboy either. Fanboys = disappointed customers at some point in time example: Hitec

Prove the dealer price...because those links don't prove chit.

Quick Reply