logo
Old 09-20-2012, 02:46 PM
Find More Posts by skeets
Joined Jul 2012
4 Posts
Question
EQ10 Charging

Hi all, I have a couple questions about charging A123 batteries connected to the eq10. This is my first time setup and so want to make sure. I do about the common ground, so have one question on that.

First: When charging through the charge jacks connected to the eq10, what is the max amps it can stand? I realize that normal servo connectors are only good for 3 to 4 amps. Does the eq10 handle that much.

Second: Electro Dynamics Inc. has A123's that are charged through the balance port. That said, if you leave the deans connections attached to the eq10, hook up the charge jacks to the balance leads, seems to me like you now bypass the common ground issue and can charge both packs at the same time and with one charger. Am I right, or does the eq10 create the common ground effect the the deans. Afterall, that is output only, correct???

Just curious, as I don't wish to cause an explosive situation and destroy my 35% YAK.
skeets is offline Find More Posts by skeets
Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 09-20-2012, 02:51 PM
Joined Jul 2012
4 Posts
My Mistake

Sorry, should have proof read first. I meant to say that the battery balance lead is also the charge lead. Therefore, you charge them through the balance lead.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:09 AM
Find More Posts by rrritchey
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Sep 2006
447 Posts
Hi,
Normal RC connectors are only good for 2.5 amps continuous current. At this current you are going to see significant voltage drop across a connector. Anywhere from 1/3V to 2/3V depending on the quality of the connector. We are only limited by the connectors. If you charge at higher currents up near 2.5 amps your batteries may not fully charge because of the voltage drops of standard R/C connectors.

No, you do not bypass the common ground problem. If the two batteries are connected to a single point (even if it was a receiver through switches and not our unit) you will have a common ground and this is present no matter what connector you charge the batteries through, the grounds are still connected through the system wires. If you unplug one battery from the system and then charge through the balance leads you will have broken the ground and will be OK.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeets View Post
Hi all, I have a couple questions about charging A123 batteries connected to the eq10. This is my first time setup and so want to make sure. I do about the common ground, so have one question on that.

First: When charging through the charge jacks connected to the eq10, what is the max amps it can stand? I realize that normal servo connectors are only good for 3 to 4 amps. Does the eq10 handle that much.

Second: Electro Dynamics Inc. has A123's that are charged through the balance port. That said, if you leave the deans connections attached to the eq10, hook up the charge jacks to the balance leads, seems to me like you now bypass the common ground issue and can charge both packs at the same time and with one charger. Am I right, or does the eq10 create the common ground effect the the deans. Afterall, that is output only, correct???

Just curious, as I don't wish to cause an explosive situation and destroy my 35% YAK.
rrritchey is offline Find More Posts by rrritchey
Site Sponsor
Old 09-22-2012, 11:29 PM
Joined Jul 2012
4 Posts
Got it! I just wanted to make sure if that common ground was still in play with both batteries connected to the board and you answered my question. Looks like I should just charge through the deans then and not the rc connectors. Looking forward to using your product and know from reading on here the reputation for support. I have another friend who I hope will be using your products. Thanks for the info!
Old 09-23-2012, 09:48 AM
Find More Posts by rrritchey
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Sep 2006
447 Posts
Hi,
I charge through the Deans anytime I charge at over 1 amp, you get a more accurate charge. Ideally you have the least resistance possible in your charge path.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeets View Post
Got it! I just wanted to make sure if that common ground was still in play with both batteries connected to the board and you answered my question. Looks like I should just charge through the deans then and not the rc connectors. Looking forward to using your product and know from reading on here the reputation for support. I have another friend who I hope will be using your products. Thanks for the info!
rrritchey is offline Find More Posts by rrritchey
Site Sponsor

Quick Reply