logo
Old 07-26-2015, 02:39 PM
Find More Posts by tigger52
Joined May 2012
39 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorheli2 View Post
he already said he was running 92 octane.

cheers
Thanks

I get your point ken crane, but when I watch this video
GP-176 EVO on Pro Flow Canisters - YouTube
and I see that I have the same combo (3W 3D prop, GP176 evo and proflow 3D) I expect to have same RPM.
Instead of this, I'm 700 RPM lower so I have looked for an explanation.
I don't have the exact explanation yet, as I don't understand why these canisters would be a problem but I know that the engine doesn't have any trouble! And this was my main concern!
tigger52 is online now Find More Posts by tigger52
Old 07-26-2015, 04:34 PM
Find More Posts by ken crane
SUNNY CAPE COD MA.
Joined Dec 2007
1,711 Posts
funny dave and I talk every day. we spoke last night and we just discussed how many hours he has on that motor. hes had that for near 3 years and has hundreds of flights. I am getting ready to send him some parts to freshen it up. have faith. you bought a Ferrari give it some time and burn gas. it will come around. mine is so powerful its detuned in my radio.
ken crane is online now Find More Posts by ken crane
Old 07-26-2015, 05:11 PM
Find More Posts by daytonarc
United States, FL, Port Orange
Joined Oct 2012
1,190 Posts
Ken, I have an 88 Evo I got new from kole when he was selling them. Has not been run except started by Kole prior to shipping. Almost have the plane ready, just need servos and some misc.stuff. is high octane recommended for the 88 Evo as well? Will be starting with a Falcon carbon 27 x 10.
daytonarc is online now Find More Posts by daytonarc
Old 07-26-2015, 06:47 PM
Find More Posts by ken crane
SUNNY CAPE COD MA.
Joined Dec 2007
1,711 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daytonarc View Post
Ken, I have an 88 Evo I got new from kole when he was selling them. Has not been run except started by Kole prior to shipping. Almost have the plane ready, just need servos and some misc.stuff. is high octane recommended for the 88 Evo as well? Will be starting with a Falcon carbon 27 x 10.
my personal experience is yes. I noticed a slight denotation at idle with 89. shell 93 was the best so far. on the standard motor like the 61 and 123 no
ken crane is online now Find More Posts by ken crane
Last edited by ken crane; 07-27-2015 at 05:18 AM.
Old 07-26-2015, 06:58 PM
Joined Oct 2012
1,190 Posts
Thanks. Higher octane can't hurt an engine that doesn't need it but helps if the compression dictates it so high test it will be. In my 2500 HD Silverado running higher octane than needed would be very expensive but $0.30 a gallon for an 88cc engine used for a toy plane is irrelevant.
Old 07-26-2015, 07:06 PM
Joined Oct 2012
1,190 Posts
I'm thinking 100LL from the local FBO. Less smell. Any down sides other than the State of California has determined it causes cancer.
Old 07-27-2015, 12:55 AM
Find More Posts by planebender
www.planebenderproducts.c om
Sacramento,Ca.
Joined Jan 2006
2,838 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigger52 View Post
Thanks

I get your point ken crane, but when I watch this video GP-176 EVO on Pro Flow Canisters - YouTube and I see that I have the same combo (3W 3D prop, GP176 evo and proflow 3D) I expect to have same RPM.
Instead of this, I'm 700 RPM lower so I have looked for an explanation.
I don't have the exact explanation yet, as I don't understand why these canisters would be a problem but I know that the engine doesn't have any trouble! And this was my main concern!
I'm sorry your engine is down on power. I would be happy to take your Canisters and test them on my engine if you would like and report back to you. If I find them down on power I will replace them FREE. I have done the same test that you just did by installing the stock mufflers on my engine. Once it was the exact same RPM and another time the cans were 50 rpm higher.
I'm happy to pay the shipping if the test produces a reduction in power at all. I sure wish we could take a look at that engine, I'm sure we could spot an issue if their is one. Just want to help.

Dave
planebender is offline Find More Posts by planebender
Old 07-27-2015, 07:07 AM
Find More Posts by Capt. Roll
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Oct 2011
1,024 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daytonarc View Post
I'm thinking 100LL from the local FBO. Less smell. Any down sides other than the State of California has determined it causes cancer.
You MAY see an increase in deposit formation. Most of the two cycle oils today are not formulated for use in low lead gasoline. I'd check with the manufacturer of the two cycle oil you will be using to see if they have any reservations regarding the use of their oil in LL gas.
Capt. Roll is online now Find More Posts by Capt. Roll
Old 07-27-2015, 09:47 AM
Joined May 2012
39 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by planebender View Post
I'm sorry your engine is down on power. I would be happy to take your Canisters and test them on my engine if you would like and report back to you. If I find them down on power I will replace them FREE. I have done the same test that you just did by installing the stock mufflers on my engine. Once it was the exact same RPM and another time the cans were 50 rpm higher.
I'm happy to pay the shipping if the test produces a reduction in power at all. I sure wish we could take a look at that engine, I'm sure we could spot an issue if their is one. Just want to help.

Dave
Hi Dave,

thank you very much for your offer!
I would be more than happy to send the canisters to you as I don't expect to investigate more on them right now.
I really don't know how "simple-10,5'-headers" could be responsible for 700 RPM loss so I imagine that my problem should be in the canisters, even if I don't know how it is possible either!
Could you give to me the postal adress where I should send it to you?

Regards
Old 07-27-2015, 01:41 PM
Find More Posts by planebender
www.planebenderproducts.c om
Sacramento,Ca.
Joined Jan 2006
2,838 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigger52 View Post
Hi Dave,

thank you very much for your offer!
I would be more than happy to send the canisters to you as I don't expect to investigate more on them right now.
I really don't know how "simple-10,5'-headers" could be responsible for 700 RPM loss so I imagine that my problem should be in the canisters, even if I don't know how it is possible either!
Could you give to me the postal adress where I should send it to you?

Regards
Sure, Just send me an e mail at planebender@sbcglobal.net

I will be out of the country from 8/3/2015-8/11/2015 for an Airshow in Canada.

Dave
planebender is offline Find More Posts by planebender
Old 07-27-2015, 01:57 PM
Joined May 2012
39 Posts
Thanks! PM sent
Old Yesterday, 03:12 AM
Find More Posts by Zi-Chun Lin
TAIWAN Kaohsiung
Joined Jun 2006
657 Posts
I has exactly same setup as you on my Katana before and power was excellent just same as with muffler!!!
Zi-Chun Lin is online now Find More Posts by Zi-Chun Lin