logo
Old 01-14-2012, 01:02 AM
Find More Posts by frank99
United States, AR, Sheridan
Joined Oct 2009
4,069 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jraycut View Post
Going back out tomorrow for somemore flights. i dont think it will be perfect for trimmingcause i am expecting some wind at a pretty good clip tomorrow.

I may add a tray just behind the wing tube for one of the batteries in the morning before heading out....and see what it does at the field. Im actually really interested to see how she will perform in the windy conditions.

I will report back with an update after tomorrows flights. here are some pics of the tail servos and another few shots of my layout.
best lay out to date thanks frank
frank99 is offline Find More Posts by frank99
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 01-14-2012, 03:22 PM
Find More Posts by sherman89
Ocala Fl
Joined Feb 2007
2,988 Posts
I got my DA-170 back from Da and got a few flights in today, the 170 on pipes sure has that extra power on the up lines. I am used to flying it with cans and a 28.5X12-3 but the pipes just finishes off the top of the line so much better---you can make the figures as big as you want.
sherman89 is offline Find More Posts by sherman89
Old 01-14-2012, 07:36 PM
Find More Posts by jraycut
Joined Jul 2009
744 Posts
okay - went out with Wayne today to maiden his new EF Extra (200 on pro flows and 30-13 mezzy). He was able to get i 4 flights and all went well! Good job, Wayne!

I was able to get 4 flights in as well, again the skies were blue but the winds were up. I cannot say enough how well this plane tracks and handles the wind =)

So far, I am still happy with where my CG is currenlty located and have no intentions to move it. I will start to dial this thing in each time I go out to the field. I have always been the type of guy where I get the plane to the point to where I can compete with it - but never really dial them in - I making it a point to do just that with this one.

I have confirmed that the plane does want to ever so slightly want to roll out of the downline to the left. No where else in the flight envelope can I see a trimming concern - so I will go ahead and set up a throttle to aileron mix for the downlines - only will this mix kick in when the throttle is all the way back to idle.

I also went in on the high end needle of the engine - I have crossed over to SPL oil from using Royal Purple as a another friend pointed out that DA does not recomend RP at all with their engines...with SPL, after the the 2nd flight and going in on the needle a little bit - the engine started to kick in a little more power! As mentioned in the above post, the verticals are really, really nice - with the combo I am flying, the uplines are pretty dang close to the same speed of the downlines. The uplines do not require full power.

I am going to have to work with the negative snaps on the downline - they really wind up...I havent noticed it so much on the horizontals, but will more than likely take out some of the elevator and some aileron. Positive snaps look really good in all attitudes, could use maybe a little more elevator, but not much.

Rolls still seem to be pretty axial from what I can tell in all the wind - I am longing for a nice calm day to check the plane out for any type of aileron differential it may need, but from what I can tell so far, I am not going to need any as I see no 'woller' in the aileron rolls going up or down. Try to cheat in the rudder to soon on the half rolls on a line and it will tell on you, lol.

Started on the elevator to rudder and elevator to aileron today. The plane required some UP elevator in knife edge and just a smidget of aileron roll out was noticed. Rolling circles are great, but I need to slow the ailerons down some more. The current rudder throw I have seems good where it is as well as the elevator rate.

Thats about it, I just flew the plane becoming more comfortable with it and determined that the CG is good where it is at. The power combo is really good on this plane and extremely quite! Here some shots from today.
jraycut is offline Find More Posts by jraycut
Last edited by jraycut; 01-14-2012 at 07:45 PM.
Old 01-15-2012, 04:13 AM
Find More Posts by drewbags
Norwich, UK
Joined Mar 2006
502 Posts
Got mu Sukhoi out for the first flights of this year yesterday. Swapped out the A123s for straight 2S lipo power, which seemed to work out really well and also moved the CG back. Had my A123s up by the tank and it was too nose heavy and carrying quite a lot of elevator up trim, now the batts are behind the wing tube and it is almost spot on where I like it. Hands off inverted, maybe could go back a little for 3D stuff but will keep it like this for a while.

Forgot how smooth this plane is to fly
drewbags is offline Find More Posts by drewbags
Old 01-15-2012, 06:41 AM
Ocala Fl
Joined Feb 2007
2,988 Posts
jraycut,
If you have a 28.5X12-3 Messy try it on the Suk I would like to hear what you think. Are you on pipes or cans---I can't remember? I need to spend some time getting the knife edge mix set up as it does pull to the gear ever so slightly---it won't take much and I do need to add 1 point to the down elevator as it pulls slightly to the canopy on the throttle off down line.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:40 AM
Joined Jul 2009
744 Posts
I am running the RE3 pipes w/ 14" headers. I know the plane has more power to spare as I only have 8 flights on the motor, didn't run break in oil this time, but rather straight to synthetic which will take a bit longer to break in...so far, no regrets.

If I can find somebody close by, I will try the 28.5 three blade. I used to fly that prop a good while ago, but never on pipes, just canisters.

The amount of up trim I am carrying is less than 1/8, being measured at the counterbalance leading edge and the leading edge of the stab. The downline mix didn't take much at all to get hands off, same as knife edge...very minimal in my opinion.

Today would be a great day to go out, but I got too much to do today, so more than likely this upcoming Friday I will be at it to complete the mixing...just hope the wind stays away to get a good idea of what is really going on and what the plane needs.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:28 AM
Ocala Fl
Joined Feb 2007
2,988 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jraycut View Post
I am running the RE3 pipes w/ 14" headers. I know the plane has more power to spare as I only have 8 flights on the motor, didn't run break in oil this time, but rather straight to synthetic which will take a bit longer to break in...so far, no regrets.

If I can find somebody close by, I will try the 28.5 three blade. I used to fly that prop a good while ago, but never on pipes, just canisters.

The amount of up trim I am carrying is less than 1/8, being measured at the counterbalance leading edge and the leading edge of the stab. The downline mix didn't take much at all to get hands off, same as knife edge...very minimal in my opinion.

Today would be a great day to go out, but I got too much to do today, so more than likely this upcoming Friday I will be at it to complete the mixing...just hope the wind stays away to get a good idea of what is really going on and what the plane needs.

Yes, I remember now, I am running the same pipe with a 16" header and my DA-170 got 2 flights yesterday---also running Syn oil (Stihl HP Ultra) for break-in. We are flying float planes at the lake today.
Old 01-19-2012, 02:01 PM
Joined Jul 2009
744 Posts
heading back out tomorrow, supposed to be a calm day, so I will be sure to get the plane dialed in on knife edge for pattern and roller modes. Roller mode should be able to get fine tuned as well. Mix in some aileron on the vert downline and we should be set!

I will report back what I settle in on. I will try to get an all up weight of the airplane just for comparsion to other peoples reports.
Old 02-20-2012, 11:40 AM
Find More Posts by Kevin B
Oklahoma
Joined Aug 2006
647 Posts
Anyone know the correct size axles and tires to buy for the Sukhoi? I forgot to measure them and I am at work right now. I am thinking of the White rose tailwheel and Airman wheels. Suki needs a little bling.

Also, has anyone had any problems with the hatch mounting system? I have had two of the inside blocks of wood come off, like unglued, and the little hook at the front of the hatch is also loose. Love the airplane and the DLE is starting to really come alive.
Kevin B is offline Find More Posts by Kevin B
Old 02-20-2012, 12:26 PM
Find More Posts by Robotech
United States, AR, Pine Bluff
Joined Aug 2006
3,872 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin B View Post
Anyone know the correct size axles and tires to buy for the Sukhoi? I forgot to measure them and I am at work right now. I am thinking of the White rose tailwheel and Airman wheels. Suki needs a little bling.

Also, has anyone had any problems with the hatch mounting system? I have had two of the inside blocks of wood come off, like unglued, and the little hook at the front of the hatch is also loose. Love the airplane and the DLE is starting to really come alive.
I've had the blocks and front hooks come loose also. A little dab of epoxy here and there and it never happened again.
Robotech is offline Find More Posts by Robotech
Old 02-20-2012, 03:46 PM
Find More Posts by Kevin B
Oklahoma
Joined Aug 2006
647 Posts
Yeah, hooked the blocks back up no problem. Will use zap or goop or something for the hooks. Still curious about the tire and axle size. Anyone know?
Kevin B is offline Find More Posts by Kevin B
Old 02-20-2012, 04:01 PM
Find More Posts by Super08
Who put that tree there?
Fort McMurray AB
Joined Mar 2008
7,126 Posts
Mine came with 5" wheels on aluminum rims. I think the axels were 6mm but don't quote me on that. I had to change my wheels to 4.5" as the wheels hit the top inside of one of the wheel pants.
Super08 is offline Find More Posts by Super08
Old 02-20-2012, 04:11 PM
Find More Posts by Flatlandman
Your my boy Blue!!!1
Lexington Kentucky U.S.A.
Joined Jan 2006
4,698 Posts
I had to re-drilled to larger diameter holes for dubro 0.250" axles. I would do it again as I like the dubros. The wheels I replaced with 4.75" www.airmanwheels.com wheels. I never used the wheel set that came in the kit instead gave them to a friend for his project and they only lasted him a few flights before they malfunctioned.
Flatlandman is offline Find More Posts by Flatlandman
Old 02-20-2012, 04:14 PM
Joined Jul 2009
744 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin B View Post

like others said - i used zap a dap a goo on the hooks in the front before even flying the thing. I also applied epoxy to the blocks inside the fuse...no problems out of them at all.

hard to believe that i only have 8 flights on the plane...amazing how life can get in the way of our hobbies I hope to get out this weekend and fine tune the plane for the first contest next month, the plane doesnt lack much...just need to practice the sequence.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:03 PM
Ocala Fl
Joined Feb 2007
2,988 Posts
I got some time on the Suk today and I am still impressed with how well it flies. The stock tires fell apart and have been replaced with 4 3/4 Airmans, the tail wheel fell apart today and has been replaced, the Chinese tires are junk----the rubber is very poor quality----Dubro does not have to worry about the Chinese tires taking their market away. Mike has done a great job with the 3.1m Suk, it flies so much like my Carden's of past, now if Hangar9 would put good quality parts (tires) in the kit they would have a winner for sure!!!!!

Quick Reply