logo
Old 06-13-2015, 05:30 PM
Find More Posts by pootman
Goleta, CA
Joined Sep 2007
11 Posts
Question
Weighted prop washer

Well, it look like I may need to add some nose weight for CG. Since I'm new to gas, are there negative effects to using weighted prop washers? Does it ware on the engine with the extra weight that it has to swing, especially during tumbling maneuvers? Also, does it slow the throttle response any? With the weight right at rotation axis, I figured it would affect throttle response, but was worried about the weight damaging the bearing on the crankshaft during hard tumbles.

Lance
pootman is offline Find More Posts by pootman
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 06-13-2015, 05:43 PM
Find More Posts by Truckracer
Des Moines, Iowa USA
Joined Nov 2007
7,492 Posts
I believe that if you ran the numbers to compare the gyroscopic effects of a large diameter propeller compared to the small diameter weighted prop washer, you'd find the washer adds minimal effects to the rotational mass.

I use them on a couple of warbirds and have noticed minimal differences in how the engine performs with or without the heavy washer. Never needed one on an aerobatic plane.
Truckracer is offline Find More Posts by Truckracer
Old 06-14-2015, 12:31 AM
Find More Posts by pootman
Goleta, CA
Joined Sep 2007
11 Posts
Cool. Thanks for the info.
pootman is offline Find More Posts by pootman
Old 06-14-2015, 10:40 AM
Find More Posts by rooman
They're get'n lower mate.....
United States, PA, Home
Joined Nov 2006
3,941 Posts
The boost tabs may be affected if the weighted prop washer is not in proportion to the gyroscopic radian
rooman is offline Find More Posts by rooman
Old 06-14-2015, 01:36 PM
Find More Posts by Low_Cal
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Dec 2009
2,624 Posts
You might get a slightly more reliable idle with the added flywheel effect - and we all know that's a good thing!
Low_Cal is offline Find More Posts by Low_Cal
Old 06-16-2015, 07:09 AM
Find More Posts by wfield0455
United States, MA, Holliston
Joined Oct 2007
3,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckracer View Post
I believe that if you ran the numbers to compare the gyroscopic effects of a large diameter propeller compared to the small diameter weighted prop washer, you'd find the washer adds minimal effects to the rotational mass.

I use them on a couple of warbirds and have noticed minimal differences in how the engine performs with or without the heavy washer. Never needed one on an aerobatic plane.

Of course it all depends on the weight of the prop washer. I was considering one for my Aeroworks Ultimate that is quite tail heavy and a friend mentioned that he had tried one in the past and it was the only time he ever jacked a crankshaft. While he said he wasn't 100% certain the weighted prop washer was the cause, he never ruined one before trying the weight or after removing it.

If you look back at the DLE 222 threads, several guys were busting front crank case housings and the only ones that seemed to be having the problem were guys flying lots of highly gyroscopic aerobatics with 3 blade props..
wfield0455 is offline Find More Posts by wfield0455
Old 06-16-2015, 07:14 AM
Find More Posts by 3d ondaedge
United States, TX, Whitehouse
Joined Feb 2015
127 Posts
You aren't going to hurt anything, as long as its not like a 3lb washer. Look at the difference in weight on the crankshaft from say a carbon prop/aluminum spinner and a wood prop/carbon spinner. That's a pretty significant weight difference, but generally the concern about weight out on the end of the crankshaft is non existent. And my guess is that throttle response will not be affected a measurable amount.
3d ondaedge is offline Find More Posts by 3d ondaedge
Old 06-16-2015, 07:31 AM
Find More Posts by g257945
United States, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Oct 2014
767 Posts
http://whiteroseeng.com/products/pw.html

Scott
g257945 is offline Find More Posts by g257945

Quick Reply