logo
Old 08-12-2012, 05:25 AM
Find More Posts by JIMZACH
WELLINGTON,FLORIDA USA
Joined Mar 2006
567 Posts
Discussion
Spektrum DX-18 (Hows it going ?)

Well, this past week I finally pulled the trigger on the new DX-18. I received the radio on thursday and got my H9 Extra 300 setup on it for some flying this weekend. After I made the first flight I came down and started pluggin away some mixes for KE, downlines, and an idle up and throttle cut as well. After I got this all done it was time for another flight and to adjust my mixes and idle up mode. After a few moments of being dumbfounded I saw what was confusing me. The rudder was not centerd. Long story short, after some playing arpound and trouble shooting with Tech Suport it seems that the POT on the rudder will not center. It thinks that the rudder is deflected to the left by 33%. So my local dealer that I ordered it from ordered another one and will replace which is great. Just wanted to know how others are doing with this radio. Has anyone encounterd a problem like this or any problem with the radio for that matter. As it is a new product and there are bound to be some issues. Any info is greatly appreciated so thanks in advance.

Zach Bloomquist
JIMZACH is offline Find More Posts by JIMZACH
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 08-12-2012, 11:30 AM
Find More Posts by erjpilot
Quakertown, PA USA
Joined Jan 2006
883 Posts
There is a lot of information here. Even talk about the pots as well as other problems that are being worked thru. A lot of reading though....

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...highlight=dx18
erjpilot is offline Find More Posts by erjpilot
Old 08-12-2012, 06:42 PM
Find More Posts by Bikman
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2011
854 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMZACH View Post
Has anyone encounterd a problem like this or any problem with the radio for that matter. As it is a new product and there are bound to be some issues. Any info is greatly appreciated so thanks in advance.
they have not learned the lesson with their previous radios, spektrum is still junk
don't really know why did you get one over the XG11... Futaba or JR is the way to go!
Bikman is offline Find More Posts by Bikman
Reply With Quote  (Disabled) Quick reply to this message (Disabled)
Old 08-12-2012, 06:56 PM
Find More Posts by erjpilot
Quakertown, PA USA
Joined Jan 2006
883 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikman View Post
they have not learned the lesson with their previous radios, spektrum is still junk
don't really know why did you get one over the XG11... Futaba or JR is the way to go!
Wow! New world record! It only took to the third post for the bashing to start
erjpilot is offline Find More Posts by erjpilot
Old 08-14-2012, 05:19 PM
Find More Posts by Steve Graham
Your OTHER Left
Denver, CO
Joined Apr 2008
393 Posts
I just happened to walk into the LHS a little over a month back when he got the first one in. I handled it for quite awhile and decided to take it home. So far it has been flawless in operation. Programming is ok. The worst feature of the radio is the manual or lack thereof. HH has steadfastly maintained that the manual is adequate. For this user the complete lack of explanations for many basic functions as well as examples of programming for various common setups and mixes is unforgivable. I just heard through the grapevine, possibly reliable... possibly not, that there were some arguments inside the development team regarding the scope of the manual and those wanting a more comprehensive document lost the battle, along with the end users

Likes: DSMX, Sailplane and helicopter functions, quality is good so far, user upgradeability, HH support, Innovative trainer functions, servo balance functions, complete switch and RX channel assignment options, etc. etc.

Dislikes: Manual.

I have a 4 year old JR12X, not converted yet to DSMX, that if all goes well with the DX 18 will end up being sold. I'm currently dealing with one of my biggest gripes with that radio. The need to annually replace the $83.00 proprietary NIMH battery cartridge that should be at the most a $20.00 Life pack.

I recently had a chance to handle the new JR 8XG. My initial impression was not too good. Cheap plastic with a black chrome plating that will show every finger print and blind you if the sun ever hits it just right. Whats up with all the shiny TX's guys. (Hint: Next time you fly commercial stop in the flight deck and note the non reflective black coloring of the glare shield) I blame things like this on marketing departments making too many decisions and end product that is "style over substance" With JR's history of quality I hate to say it but I really think recent choices are going to hurt them bad in the market place.
Steve Graham is offline Find More Posts by Steve Graham
Old 08-14-2012, 05:52 PM
WELLINGTON,FLORIDA USA
Joined Mar 2006
567 Posts
I agree that the manual is atrocious. Luckily the programing is very similar to that of my 11x. I am very sad that this happend but I hope it to be a freak accident and not somthing that will occur again or to others. I am very pleased over all with the radio. Its very easy to use and does everything I wanted it to do. I chose it voer the XG-11 because its basically the same radio I had. An 11x , with some new features. Not to mention having to buy all new receivers for all my planes. I am not disappointed in the radio overall. On the contrary I am very pleased with it. Just upset with the malfunction two days after buying it. For me, I have big plans for next year. I have made many sacrifices in my personal life for flying. I want to compete, I want to be good at it, and I want to go to the top. I cannot do that with faulty and or un reliable equipment. That is where my frustration comes from. The situation will be rectified shortly and Ill be back flying soon. Thanks guys for your input even you Mr.Negativity.

Zach
Old 08-14-2012, 06:26 PM
Find More Posts by Tlisotta
Joined Apr 2011
599 Posts
Guys - thanks for those posts. I am leaning towards this radio. I have a 10 + year old 8103. I fly 35% on it. Looking for a new radio. I got to hold it yesterday and scroll through some of the menus. Feels pretty good in the hands (not as good as 8103). I am encouraged to hear the radios you have and you went to the DX18. Sounds like if you had it all over to do again - you would still buy the DX18. Sounds like my wallet is about to get skinnier.....

Tony
Tlisotta is offline Find More Posts by Tlisotta
Old 08-14-2012, 08:27 PM
Find More Posts by Swerv
Flyin' Around
Joined Jul 2011
9 Posts
dx18

beside the manual i love this thing so far happy i spent the money.
Swerv is offline Find More Posts by Swerv
Old 08-26-2012, 05:44 AM
Find More Posts by STATUS
Victoria Australia
Joined Nov 2010
180 Posts
I love mine, its intuitive and had all my models setup in minimal time... yet to find a mix i cant do!!! Like it much better than other radio ive owned.
STATUS is offline Find More Posts by STATUS
Old 08-26-2012, 08:12 AM
WELLINGTON,FLORIDA USA
Joined Mar 2006
567 Posts
Well, after flying with it for the last few weeks...I love it! I have set up my 42% Carden Extra 300 and it was a cinch. Also my H9 35% Extra 300 was very easy. I love the mixing on this radio. I like being able to mix anything to anything, with this radio I have my Carden that I use for IMAC setup better than it was before on my 11x. I did have some issues with the first one I had but so far this new one they gave me is perfect. I am thinking of gettting another one.

Zach
Old 08-26-2012, 11:26 AM
Find More Posts by rcbrucelee
United States, WA, Ridgefield
Joined Jul 2009
106 Posts
I flew futaba for 20+ years then went with spektrum and JR for all the promotional buy 1 get 1 free rec's ect, better marketing. I never had so much as a hickup with the sysems I used, I flew 9303 and used match boxes on my large planes. When I saw the acual pilot programing or to me usable stuff such as being able to asign all the switches to anything, mixing any servo to a control with or without trim on any channel, balance for multi servo apps, no more match boxes, step up to dsmx, I'm loving telemetry, alot of confidense in seeing low frame fade, good cylinder temps, the servo menu and expo dual rate menu are very easy to use and right together take care of 85% of your setup with just a little scrolling, the first setup screen lets you choose wing and tail configs and then shows you the channels to plug in your servos for the default setup where everything just works and for me even more important is the feel. I have big hands and this baby feels good, it also changes flight modes as I am a stick mode 4 pilot, I taught myself 40 years ago and I don't have to tear it apart and do a physical change like with my JR. I am pretty much retired and fly 4 or 5 times a week and really love this radio so far. There is alot more but I get tired of typing, I think I conveyed my general feeling.
Bob
rcbrucelee is offline Find More Posts by rcbrucelee
Old 09-01-2012, 09:55 AM
Find More Posts by Tadman11
Loctite that thingy majig
United States, VT, Royalton
Joined Aug 2011
848 Posts
Expecting mine in a few days...I have the 11x now so Im hoping the programming will be similar.
Tadman11 is offline Find More Posts by Tadman11
Old 09-01-2012, 10:00 AM
Find More Posts by STLAV8R
Team Twisted!
United States, MO, St Louis
Joined Mar 2006
5,907 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadman11 View Post
Expecting mine in a few days...I have the 11x now so Im hoping the programming will be similar.
Let us know how you like the DX18 compared to the 11X.
STLAV8R is offline Find More Posts by STLAV8R
Old 09-01-2012, 11:11 AM
Joined Aug 2011
848 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLAV8R View Post
Let us know how you like the DX18 compared to the 11X.

Will Do!!
Old 09-07-2012, 02:34 PM
Joined Aug 2011
848 Posts
Well, I got my DX18. I programmed two 35%er's yesterday at the field with it. Flew 6 flights with no issues. Setups were very simple and didn't take long at all. I didn't even need the manual for anything. I like how the DX18 binds too. No switch or button to push and power on. The Bind feature is great and easy!
Im lovin the radio so far and thinking about selling the 11x now

Quick Reply