Old 07-12-2013, 03:26 PM
Find More Posts by Magenta
United States, VA, Merrifield
Joined Jun 2011
172 Posts
Discussion
precise cutting

hello,

is there a great tool for cutting the fiberglass cowl other than a dremel. i am trying to cut muffler holes and cutout the air exit holes of my cowl. need a tool that can make fine round corners.

thanks in advance for your time.
Magenta is offline Find More Posts by Magenta
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 07-12-2013, 03:41 PM
Find More Posts by Glyder
United States, OH, Canton
Joined Sep 2011
873 Posts
Usualy a dremel can make just about any cut you want with the right bit/attachment. Its all Ive ever used.
Glyder is offline Find More Posts by Glyder
Old 07-12-2013, 03:44 PM
Find More Posts by husker
Riley O'Brien
United States, NE, Lincoln
Joined Oct 2008
2,813 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magenta View Post
hello,

is there a great tool for cutting the fiberglass cowl other than a dremel. i am trying to cut muffler holes and cutout the air exit holes of my cowl. need a tool that can make fine round corners.

thanks in advance for your time.

Use the dremel sanding drum for corners.
husker is offline Find More Posts by husker
Old 07-12-2013, 03:51 PM
Find More Posts by wfield0455
United States, MA, Holliston
Joined Oct 2007
3,013 Posts
I use a dremel and a combination of purpose made sanding blocks for all my cowl work.
I normally do the rough shaping with the dremel and one of the sanding drums and then once I have the holes close but slightly smaller than needed I will use various sanding blocks made from things like PVC pipe, etc with self adhesive sandpaper stuck to them. A hard wooden block with self-stick sandpaper can made a nice straight edge and a piece of PVC pipe of the correct size
with self stick sandpaper can leave a beautiful radius or a nice round hole. All you really need to do is mark the openings carefully and work slowly to get a great looking job..
wfield0455 is offline Find More Posts by wfield0455
Old 07-12-2013, 03:53 PM
Find More Posts by husker
Riley O'Brien
United States, NE, Lincoln
Joined Oct 2008
2,813 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfield0455 View Post
I use a dremel and a combination of purpose made sanding blocks for all my cowl work.
I normally do the rough shaping with the dremel and one of the sanding drums and then once I have the holes close but slightly smaller than needed I will use various sanding blocks made from things like PVC pipe, etc with self adhesive sandpaper stuck to them. A hard wooden block with self-stick sandpaper can made a nice straight edge and a piece of PVC pipe of the correct size
with self stick sandpaper can leave a beautiful radius or a nice round hole. All you really need to do is mark the openings carefully and work slowly to get a great looking job..

I don't go that crazy with it because I usually hit a big junebug or something on one of the first few flights and it cracks and starts looking crappy anyway.
husker is offline Find More Posts by husker

Quick Reply