Old 02-04-2016, 04:33 PM
Find More Posts by jersey flyer
United States, NJ, Millville
Joined Sep 2015
375 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey View Post
Run it to an external charge jack
I think Im Still going need a regulator, not sure and cant seem to find out what the out put is going to be to the servo's, I have older JR 8411's and I believe they can only take 6 volts
jersey flyer is offline Find More Posts by jersey flyer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 02-04-2016, 04:42 PM
Find More Posts by BarracudaHockey
Multi Platform Pilot
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Dec 2007
10,876 Posts
Output of a power safe is the same as the input.

Run A123 packs and you're good. LiPo's you need a regulator
BarracudaHockey is online now Find More Posts by BarracudaHockey
Old 02-04-2016, 04:55 PM
Find More Posts by loopandroll - Ozzy
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2016
60 Posts
Quote:
There's a switch but it's a soft switch, if the switch fails the power stays on. Many folks just run a charge jack and plug in a bind plug to turn it off that way there really is no physical switch.
That depends on how the switch fails though remember.
loopandroll - Ozzy is offline Find More Posts by loopandroll - Ozzy
Reply With Quote  (Disabled) Quick reply to this message (Disabled)
Old 02-04-2016, 04:59 PM
Find More Posts by BarracudaHockey
Multi Platform Pilot
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Dec 2007
10,876 Posts
Enlighten me
BarracudaHockey is online now Find More Posts by BarracudaHockey
Old 02-04-2016, 07:00 PM
Find More Posts by wfield0455
United States, MA, Holliston
Joined Oct 2007
3,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by loopandroll View Post
That depends on how the switch fails though remember.
While I guess all things are possible, some, such as the switch failing shorted out, which is the exact opposite of the typical failure mode for swtiches, are pretty unlikely.
wfield0455 is offline Find More Posts by wfield0455
Old 02-04-2016, 08:46 PM
Find More Posts by Rick1999
United States, WI, Milwaukee
Joined Sep 2008
1,767 Posts
https://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/...d.php?t=192405
Rick1999 is offline Find More Posts by Rick1999
Old 02-04-2016, 09:21 PM
Joined Sep 2015
375 Posts
Quote:
Enlighten me

Well gave it try, works nice, I cut the ec3 connectors off the power safe and put deans on cause I use the ions from troy built and they come with deans and I prefer the deans over the ec3, hooked up a servo extension and stuck a bind plug in and it shut off, cool, thanks for the info, its reading a round 6.86 volts coming out with two 7.4, 3400 mah batteries hooked to it, low charge on the bats, should be good, thanks again
Old 02-04-2016, 09:43 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2016
60 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfield0455 View Post
While I guess all things are possible, some, such as the switch failing shorted out, which is the exact opposite of the typical failure mode for swtiches, are pretty unlikely.
Exactly, but saying if a switch fails the power stays on builds false security, a switch failure is a failure.
Old 02-05-2016, 07:48 AM
Joined Oct 2007
3,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by loopandroll View Post
Exactly, but saying if a switch fails the power stays on builds false security, a switch failure is a failure.
But if the switch fails in flight, the airplane lands safely and you discover that you can;t turn if off, I think that's much better than the regular switch failing in flight and the airplane crashes. You're right that a failure is a failure but the trick is to design the system so that if a simple failure occurs you don't loose the airplane.

Failsafe switches tend to be better in this regard but of course, nothing is perfect..

Wayne
Old 02-05-2016, 07:54 AM
Joined Oct 2007
3,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersey flyer View Post
Well gave it try, works nice, I cut the ec3 connectors off the power safe and put deans on cause I use the ions from troy built and they come with deans and I prefer the deans over the ec3, hooked up a servo extension and stuck a bind plug in and it shut off, cool, thanks for the info, its reading a round 6.86 volts coming out with two 7.4, 3400 mah batteries hooked to it, low charge on the bats, should be good, thanks again
Not sure what servos you tested with but if you are going to use the 8411s you mentioned earlier, you shouldn't run unregulated Ions or Lipos into the Powersafe. Either switch to A123 packs direct to the Powersafe or use your Ions with a regulator as you planned before.

Also, while the bind plug functions perfectly as a switch for the powersafe, if you don't mind making a hole for the switch, the one that comes with the powersafe is perfectly fine too. Personally, I don't mind mounting a switch so that is what I do. I also tend to loose the bind plug and end up fumbling around looking for it when it's time to shut the plane down. I also lazy and don't like the idea of removing the canopy to power the plane on and off. Of course if you don't feel any of those things will be a problem for you, then a bind plug is a good solution. The bind plug vs a switch is largely a trade off of convenience vs mounting a switch in the side of the airplane..

Wayne
Old 02-05-2016, 12:11 PM
Joined Sep 2015
375 Posts
Quote:
Not sure what servos you tested with but if you are going to use the 8411s you mentioned earlier, you shouldn't run unregulated Ions or Lipos into the Powersafe. Either switch to A123 packs direct to the Powersafe or use your Ions with a regulator as you planned before.

Also, while the bind plug functions perfectly as a switch for the powersafe, if you don't mind making a hole for the switch, the one that comes with the powersafe is perfectly fine too. Personally, I don't mind mounting a switch so that is what I do. I also tend to loose the bind plug and end up fumbling around looking for it when it's time to shut the plane down. I also lazy and don't like the idea of removing the canopy to power the plane on and off. Of course if you don't feel any of those things will be a problem for you, then a bind plug is a good solution. The bind plug vs a switch is largely a trade off of convenience vs mounting a switch in the side of the airplane..

Wayne
I have some Life, 3200, 6.6v laying around, How about them? Whats wrong with using the ions
Old 02-05-2016, 01:18 PM
Find More Posts by fixedwingonly
Watch This!
United States, ID, Meridian
Joined Nov 2009
410 Posts
Someone mentioned not running unregulated lipos thru a power safe receiver. I have 2- 5000 mah 2 cell lipos on my 37.5% yak with a 91xx or whatever spektrum receiver. Am I at risk of melting the system down? FYI I just switched from a123's to get every last bit of power out of my servos. I haven't been to the field with it yet, however I plugged everything in and powered it up in the garage...
fixedwingonly is offline Find More Posts by fixedwingonly
Old 02-05-2016, 02:44 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2016
60 Posts
Quote:
But if the switch fails in flight, the airplane lands safely and you discover that you can;t turn if off, I think that's much better than the regular switch failing in flight and the airplane crashes. You're right that a failure is a failure but the trick is to design the system so that if a simple failure occurs you don't loose the airplane.

Failsafe switches tend to be better in this regard but of course, nothing is perfect..

Wayne
Yes but it could fail on, not disagreeing with you but a fail safe switch does not exist, it's just a poor choice of wording which makes people complacent, a bit like organic food, all food is organic no matter how it is grown.

This just needs to be explained to noobs that is all, switch and batteries are the weakest link in the RC chain, but I agree running a regulator these days is silly. Regulators produce heat and that is not a smart way to power a models avionic systems.

Not being nasty but you use the word loose where you should be using the word lose, it is a very common mistake over here with local bogans on Facebook. Just thought I would let you know as you seem like a good helpful person.
Old 02-05-2016, 02:48 PM
Joined Oct 2007
3,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersey flyer View Post
I have some Life, 3200, 6.6v laying around, How about them? Whats wrong with using the ions
The 3200 Lifes will be fine. There is noting wrong with the ions, they are just higher voltage than your 8411s can handle without regulators. Ions have similar voltage to a 2S Lipo. Life and A123 have similar voltage characteristics as 5 cell NiMH. If you want to

Wayne
Old 02-05-2016, 02:49 PM
Joined Oct 2007
3,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fixedwingonly View Post
Someone mentioned not running unregulated lipos thru a power safe receiver. I have 2- 5000 mah 2 cell lipos on my 37.5% yak with a 91xx or whatever spektrum receiver. Am I at risk of melting the system down? FYI I just switched from a123's to get every last bit of power out of my servos. I haven't been to the field with it yet, however I plugged everything in and powered it up in the garage...
There is nothing wrong with running 2S Lipos into a Powersafe receiver as long as your servos can handle 2S Lipos.

Quick Reply