logo
Old 12-15-2015, 10:40 PM
Find More Posts by Super duke
Joined Feb 2015
63 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slim jim View Post
Hi

I have the Edge with a Hacker Q80 in the front through a CC120HV and 2x6s 5000 40c flightmax packs,prop is a Mejzlik 24X10TH and I have ripped out the exhaust tunnel and anything that's not needed to save weight,soft bored the motor box to help get air round the batteries and did an exit for air under the rudder servo
I have 3 Edges
1 has a DLE 55 bowman ring and a Zimmerman can 3blade Mejzlik 21x11N
2 has a ZDZ 60 bowman rind and a JMB can 2blade Mejzlik 24X10
the Electric one is the lightest of the bunch and if you dropped down on the C rating you could get the weight down even more as the 40c flightmax are not the smallest or lightest packs about but good and cheap (well over here at least )
the one with the ZDZ is the heaviest but its still flys nice and light
out the 3 the best power and instant power is the Hacker but 7.30 flight times is the down side
DLE 15 mins and half a tank left the ZDZ has very good power but a bit thirsty to the DLE
not sure can pick a fave as even though the same plane there all so very different to fly
all-round nice one I think is the DLE
smooth is Hacker
nuts is the ZDZ as its the MK2 one the dam elevators are insane and still haven't worked out why there so big as on the MK1 you don't need full movement
but a great plane what ever you stick in the front off it
don't think I could not have one
and that's coming from a guy that did not even like the look of the Edge as was an Extra fan
Not now
Thanks very much for the informative reply and the pictures do you have any pictures of your motor box? The only down side I see to going electric now is the flight time. But there are number of big advantages no need to worry about the engine stopping in a hover or harrier (I had this happen a couple of times before), clean, vibration free and no noise curfew at my club with electric planes. I haven't had a 88" Edge before but the 60" has been my favourite plane just so rock solid in harriers.
Super duke is offline Find More Posts by Super duke
Old 12-16-2015, 05:44 AM
Find More Posts by slim jim
England
Joined Apr 2007
46 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super duke View Post
Thanks very much for the informative reply and the pictures do you have any pictures of your motor box? The only down side I see to going electric now is the flight time. But there are number of big advantages no need to worry about the engine stopping in a hover or harrier (I had this happen a couple of times before), clean, vibration free and no noise curfew at my club with electric planes. I haven't had a 88" Edge before but the 60" has been my favourite plane just so rock solid in harriers.
Sorry haven't got any pics of the motor box,i just got a hole cutter and set to work
after taking most the insides out it wont be petrol again with out a fair bit of work
was surprised it came out lighter than the other 2 but it was amazing what I cut and removed the exhaust tunnel is very big in that plane and there is a lot of balsa and bits in it,as you can see in mine has gone for ever more
My club is only ic/petrol 4 days a week so being electric gets round that easy
but like you said short flight times are the down side to it all
but its a price a few off us are happy to pay
amazed me how much less per flight (same time flights ) the electric uses
just through lack off vibration
that on the air frame and servos has got to be worth it
my next build is a old 3W Yak 37% with a Plettenberg Predator 37/6 in it
hope to stick with a12s setup but can go to 14 if I need to
that's next years build if I can free up my building table that is :-)
slim jim is offline Find More Posts by slim jim
Old 12-16-2015, 09:18 AM
Find More Posts by jdracing3
I like pancakes
Otsego Michigan
Joined Jan 2008
1,822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyheli View Post
Any one having to baffle there DA 70 to get a good tune. I have about 20 flights on my new motor. Just can't get it right.
can you give us some specifics as to what type of engine issue you are seeing? We run a 70 in ours with no baffles however we do have the pipe tunnel opened up to allow plenty of exit air. It's been run hard with this set-up during some hot days with no heat issues. ...the tune on your engine however plays a big role in keeping things cool.

I don't have any photo's of it but you can see what we did in this video.

Extreme Flight 88" Edge 540T Powered by...
jdracing3 is offline Find More Posts by jdracing3
Last edited by jdracing3; 12-16-2015 at 09:31 AM.
Old 12-17-2015, 06:52 AM
Find More Posts by slim jim
England
Joined Apr 2007
46 Posts
Not had any issues with either off mine
even though there singles not a twin
I have the tunnels fully closed just a few slots and they run cool with no issues at all
would say the 60 runs hotter than the 55 but think that's more because the exhaust in bigger in diameter and length as well so fills the tunnel more so less air around it
saying that its a lot cooler here in the UK for one and I don't like this flat out style of flying think it looks messy so that's got to help no end as well I would think
a good oil and mix plays a massive part to engine temp and set up
not to lean either
if you have only had about 20 flights would think there is still some more running in yet as its surprising how long some motors take to bed in nice
that makes a big difference to temp
would suggest if its still hot close the front in a bit at a time and open the tunnel up as much as you can
as with most planes now we always end up with way more air getting in than we can get out
stuck air holds one hell of a lot off heat s less in really dose help
slim jim is offline Find More Posts by slim jim
Old 12-19-2015, 04:53 PM
Joined Feb 2015
63 Posts
Dose anyone know the weight difference between the stock aluminium gear and the Graph tech carbon gear?
Old 12-19-2015, 05:29 PM
Find More Posts by atchfoot
United States, KS, Atchison
Joined Feb 2008
59 Posts
I used the 3DHS carbon gear and it fits perfectly and has proven itself to be durable. I saved 4.1oz using the CF gear.

The stock aluminum weighs 297g, CF gear weighs 181g., savings of 116g or ~ 4oz.
atchfoot is offline Find More Posts by atchfoot
Old 12-19-2015, 05:59 PM
Joined Feb 2015
63 Posts
Is this the landing gear that you used - Landing gear for 91" Yak 55, 92" Edge, 89" Slick. It looks to be about 3/4" taller than the Graph tech gear that shouldn't matter and is also cheaper too.
Old 12-19-2015, 06:12 PM
Find More Posts by atchfoot
United States, KS, Atchison
Joined Feb 2008
59 Posts
Yes, that's it. Works great and is durable. I had Graph Tech, but tends to delaminate easily at the top of the gear where the angle of the gear is sharpest.
atchfoot is offline Find More Posts by atchfoot