Old 09-22-2015, 12:57 PM
Find More Posts by LegalVideoDude
President - NeST-RC
United States, IN, Fortville
Joined Aug 2015
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jahatton View Post
How did you bend the wing tube in flight?
After pulling up fairly hard to do a few snap rolls, my camera-man noticed that the airplane had some "dihedral" in the wing as it was coming toward us. I promptly landed and pulled the wings off. I'd estimate that the aluminum tube was bent about 5 degrees on the left side, maybe 1 or 2 degrees on the right. It was a bear to get out of the fuse. I was actually able to straighten it and flew another couple of (subdued) flights. We have a fun fly coming up and I wanted to get some landing practice in with it.

I just placed the order for a 25mm x 23mm x 1000mm carbon fiber tube from Fly Carbon USA. $32.50 plus $11 shipping. They will cut it for another $1, but I have a power miter saw. It needs to be cut to about 35 inches (890mm).
LegalVideoDude is offline Find More Posts by LegalVideoDude
Old 09-23-2015, 01:24 AM
Find More Posts by jahatton
Bad-ass Super Contributor!
Hope, British Columbia
Joined Sep 2007
523 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalVideoDude View Post
After pulling up fairly hard to do a few snap rolls, my camera-man noticed that the airplane had some "dihedral" in the wing as it was coming toward us. I promptly landed and pulled the wings off. I'd estimate that the aluminum tube was bent about 5 degrees on the left side, maybe 1 or 2 degrees on the right. It was a bear to get out of the fuse. I was actually able to straighten it and flew another couple of (subdued) flights. We have a fun fly coming up and I wanted to get some landing practice in with it.

I just placed the order for a 25mm x 23mm x 1000mm carbon fiber tube from Fly Carbon USA. $32.50 plus $11 shipping. They will cut it for another $1, but I have a power miter saw. It needs to be cut to about 35 inches (890mm).
That is scary! I read the latest review on HobbyKing and really wonder where they get their stock? Not consistent!
jahatton is offline Find More Posts by jahatton
Old 09-23-2015, 10:56 AM
President - NeST-RC
Joined Aug 2015
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jahatton View Post
That is scary! I read the latest review on HobbyKing and really wonder where they get their stock? Not consistent!
Pretty sure mine is the Aeroplus ARF with aluminum spar and landing gear subbed in for the carbon fiber parts. While the build "heft" is a bit light for a model of this size, the build quality is excellent. My Yak 55M of the same size was built with heavier plywood on the "main" structure members. I'm a bit concerned how it will hold up long term, or if (heaven forbid) I have a hard landing. All in all, for what I paid, I am still very happy.
Old 09-23-2015, 01:15 PM
Find More Posts by Wefinance01
United States, GA, Roswell
Joined Jun 2010
87 Posts
Quote:
Pretty sure mine is the Aeroplus ARF with aluminum spar and landing gear subbed in for the carbon fiber parts. While the build "heft" is a bit light for a model of this size, the build quality is excellent. My Yak 55M of the same size was built with heavier plywood on the "main" structure members. I'm a bit concerned how it will hold up long term, or if (heaven forbid) I have a hard landing. All in all, for what I paid, I am still very happy.
Did yours come with the stripes on the bottom of the wings. i believe mine is also an Aeroplus or maybe goldwing...my wings is standard black with the logo. So far i have spent $ on spinner, elevator tube, main spar, and landing gear...it would have been nice to get all these things at one location to save on shipping. In my opinion it is a good airframe, but i would have just gone with all those parts already included to save time and headache. It would have been around $569 total. I just dont see how this kit could fly with the thin aluminum spar. Its a dissaster waiting to happen as mine was close to breaking with one high speed banking turn.
Wefinance01 is offline Find More Posts by Wefinance01
Last edited by Wefinance01; 09-23-2015 at 01:24 PM.
Old 09-23-2015, 02:26 PM
President - NeST-RC
Joined Aug 2015
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wefinance01 View Post
Did yours come with the stripes on the bottom of the wings. i believe mine is also an Aeroplus or maybe goldwing...my wings is standard black with the logo. So far i have spent $ on spinner, elevator tube, main spar, and landing gear...it would have been nice to get all these things at one location to save on shipping. In my opinion it is a good airframe, but i would have just gone with all those parts already included to save time and headache. It would have been around $569 total. I just dont see how this kit could fly with the thin aluminum spar. Its a dissaster waiting to happen as mine was close to breaking with one high speed banking turn.
Bottom of the main wings are black with a white "Sbach 342" on one side. Bottom of the stabs are red. I bought a $22 spinner from China. I am running with the aluminum gear. Main spar is costing me $46. I'm still at around $400 total for the airframe.
Old 09-24-2015, 08:57 PM
Find More Posts by molive
Joined Aug 2014
3 Posts
Hi Wefinance01,
I have installed an eme 70 in my sbach also. Have you had an problems with over heating. What have you done for air exits on the fuse? Are you able to post photos. Thanks in advance.
Matt
molive is offline Find More Posts by molive
Old 09-25-2015, 10:56 AM
President - NeST-RC
Joined Aug 2015
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by molive View Post
Hi Wefinance01,
I have installed an eme 70 in my sbach also. Have you had an problems with over heating. What have you done for air exits on the fuse? Are you able to post photos. Thanks in advance.
Matt
There is an opening below the cavity for the muffler canister, about 4" x 2.5". It is covered over with monokote, but I cut away the monokote and cut up a DVD case to make a rectangle of plastic about 1/4" larger than that opening. I cut vent slots in that part and screwed it to the bottom of the fuse. I will post a picture when I get home tonight.
Old 09-25-2015, 06:11 PM
Joined Aug 2014
3 Posts
Quote:
There is an opening below the cavity for the muffler canister, about 4" x 2.5". It is covered over with monokote, but I cut away the monokote and cut up a DVD case to make a rectangle of plastic about 1/4" larger than that opening. I cut vent slots in that part and screwed it to the bottom of the fuse. I will post a picture when I get home tonight.
That is a great idea, thank you. might have to steal one of my daughters dvds
Old 09-25-2015, 10:03 PM
Find More Posts by Wefinance01
United States, GA, Roswell
Joined Jun 2010
87 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by molive View Post
Hi Wefinance01,
Matt
I have no problems with overheating. The EME is a great choice and fits perfect inside the cowl. Its got a great vertical acceleration and low in vibration. What prop are you using.?
Wefinance01 is offline Find More Posts by Wefinance01
Old 09-28-2015, 09:21 PM
Joined Aug 2014
3 Posts
I'm looking forward to flying with it. Perfect fit in the model. I'm running a 24x 10 at the moment and will see how that goes. Its my first gasser and I'm loving it so far. Love how easy the engine starts and it sounds awesome.
Old 10-11-2015, 08:40 PM
President - NeST-RC
Joined Aug 2015
24 Posts
I bought a 25mm carbon fiber tube to replace the aluminum wing spar that bent. It's about .2mm too large in diameter. I found that steel 3/4" electrical conduit has a diameter of about 23.5mm. I place 2 layers of gaffers tape at several places along the length of the conduit and it fits perfectly. The steel tube is about 6 oz. heavier than the aluminum, but I don't think it will bend under g-stresses.