logo
Old 05-22-2015, 10:37 PM
Find More Posts by gohighflyrc
Joined Feb 2008
465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by funboy View Post
I flew the ultra micro as3x planes and understood why they were stabilized. Putting them on something bigger, you might as well fly a 6 axis stabilized quad. I still think they are gay. Stay home and fly the sim.

Lack of education
gohighflyrc is offline Find More Posts by gohighflyrc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 05-22-2015, 10:44 PM
Find More Posts by funboy
Denver
Joined Aug 2006
4,622 Posts
Que?
funboy is offline Find More Posts by funboy
Old 05-24-2015, 03:51 PM
Find More Posts by MugMan
Joined Jun 2011
5 Posts
I find it odd that some people who use mixes to have a smooth knife edge or to adjust for coupling or whatever reason, speak so negatively about e-stabilization. The comments I have seen say the pilot should be flying the plane. Well, if you give an aileron input and the aileron, rudder and elevator move, you are not truly piloting the plane, the computer in the radio is doing it for you. I refuse to use mixes in my planes. If I have a sloppy knife edge or 4 point roll, that is on me. Makes me wonder watching some competition flying videos, if the winner is the guy who programs his radio the best? If you want true completion to see who the best pilot is, eliminate all mixes too! Just my 2 cents worth.

For anyone tuning in late, I am all for gyros/e-stabilization, just confused at some of the comments I've seen saying why mixes are ok but stabilization isn't. I will use gyros for some smaller planes because it adjusts for wind gusts that us RC pilots cannot "feel" since we are not in the plane.
MugMan is offline Find More Posts by MugMan
Old 05-24-2015, 05:29 PM
Find More Posts by wingburner
Canada, AB, Beaverlodge
Joined Jan 2006
604 Posts
+1.
wingburner is offline Find More Posts by wingburner
Old 05-24-2015, 11:35 PM
Find More Posts by littlecrankshaft
Joined Dec 2007
2,457 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MugMan View Post
I find it odd that some people who use mixes to have a smooth knife edge or to adjust for coupling or whatever reason, speak so negatively about e-stabilization. The comments I have seen say the pilot should be flying the plane. Well, if you give an aileron input and the aileron, rudder and elevator move, you are not truly piloting the plane, the computer in the radio is doing it for you. I refuse to use mixes in my planes. If I have a sloppy knife edge or 4 point roll, that is on me. Makes me wonder watching some competition flying videos, if the winner is the guy who programs his radio the best? If you want true completion to see who the best pilot is, eliminate all mixes too! Just my 2 cents worth.

For anyone tuning in late, I am all for gyros/e-stabilization, just confused at some of the comments I've seen saying why mixes are ok but stabilization isn't. I will use gyros for some smaller planes because it adjusts for wind gusts that us RC pilots cannot "feel" since we are not in the plane.
Well said
littlecrankshaft is offline Find More Posts by littlecrankshaft
Old 05-25-2015, 09:05 AM
Find More Posts by funboy
Denver
Joined Aug 2006
4,622 Posts
One is static and one is dynamic. Surely trimming an airplane isn't electronic stabilization. Getting thrust angles and cg correct are as much a part of setup as trimming. Programable mixes are set values that do not correct for dynamic real time flight conditions. A mix helps take workload off the pilot, a gyro does it all except maneuver. Now, flight conditions are a step closer to what a gyro does as they can be turned off and on in flight. I never used those either. One rate (3D), one mix (KE), two thumbs. That's me.
funboy is offline Find More Posts by funboy
Old 05-25-2015, 04:36 PM
Find More Posts by theKM
needs more yaw authority
Central PA
Joined Oct 2008
1,748 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MugMan View Post

you can correct the coupling on the airplane without a mix... if it has roll coupling, break your wing in half and adjust the dihedral, possibly change the shape of your rudder and/or fuselage. If it has pitch coupling, either tweak the CofG, or break the stab and wing out of the model and reposition them.

if it's an accurate flying model specifically intended for precise aerobatics, these issues will be mostly done for you. if not, it's generally easier to add a mix than rebuild the airplane
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old 05-25-2015, 06:57 PM
Find More Posts by jdracing3
I like pancakes
Joined Jan 2008
2,098 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1 Rocket View Post
Hopefully you did not really throw it in the trash. Hopefully you gave it to someone who could benefit from it. That would be the hope that the "rep" (me) has.

Danny
DemonAero.com
North American distributor: bavarianDEMON

lol... No, still have it but it's free to whoever is willing to pay shipping
jdracing3 is offline Find More Posts by jdracing3
Old 05-25-2015, 07:13 PM
Find More Posts by N726AC
Seven.Four Liters
United States, FL, North Fort Myers
Joined Sep 2006
7,552 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdracing3 View Post
lol... No, still have it but it's free to whoever is willing to pay shipping

Me. me, me !!!
Shall I PM you my address?
N726AC is offline Find More Posts by N726AC
Old 05-25-2015, 07:21 PM
Find More Posts by jgsticks
Its Just Business
United States, AR, Hensley
Joined Jan 2011
202 Posts
Technology and change is the future, those who don't embrace it usually get left behind. Its much more entertaining to see planes fly perfect than all over the place because of a crosswind in a show or demo. You will still have to be real good to push the limits like todays top pilots even with a gyro. So whats the big deal. If you stink without a gyro you will still stink with one. The gyro will not replace stick time.
jgsticks is offline Find More Posts by jgsticks
Old 05-25-2015, 08:21 PM
I like pancakes
Joined Jan 2008
2,098 Posts
Sending out the cortex to N726AC tomorrow
Old 05-25-2015, 08:49 PM
Find More Posts by N726AC
Seven.Four Liters
United States, FL, North Fort Myers
Joined Sep 2006
7,552 Posts
Neighbor is building a Comp-Arf Corsair for Top Gun,, got a feeling that that is where the Cortex will reside. Thanks John !
N726AC is offline Find More Posts by N726AC
Old 05-25-2015, 08:49 PM
Find More Posts by theKM
needs more yaw authority
Central PA
Joined Oct 2008
1,748 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdracing3 View Post
Sending out the cortex to N726AC tomorrow
dang, I had an idea for that thing
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old 05-25-2015, 09:44 PM
I like pancakes
Joined Jan 2008
2,098 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by N726AC View Post
Neighbor is building a Comp-Arf Corsair for Top Gun,, got a feeling that that is where the Cortex will reside. Thanks John !
Very cool
Old 05-25-2015, 09:49 PM
I like pancakes
Joined Jan 2008
2,098 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theKM View Post
dang, I had an idea for that thing
Sorry Arron :-(