logo
Old 03-11-2014, 01:06 AM
Find More Posts by RcManChild
Joined Feb 2014
52 Posts
Discussion
Radio setup

So breif and short is that I used to be in the hobby and got back into it 2 months ago. I recently got the Trojan T-28 by parkzone just to make sure I could remember how to fly. Off of some recommendations I got the Yak 55 from twisted hobbies. It is a great little foamie.. However I am curious as to what most fly with their expo set at on a fomaie like this as I am thinking of getting a 3d hobbyshop 58" Edge 540... and I would like to know how I will know when I'm ready for a plane like that or how to train with a foamie for a plane like that...
Thanks
RcManChild is offline Find More Posts by RcManChild
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 03-11-2014, 07:16 AM
Find More Posts by BarracudaHockey
Multi Platform Pilot
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Dec 2007
10,875 Posts
Whatever is comfortable to you
BarracudaHockey is offline Find More Posts by BarracudaHockey
Old 03-11-2014, 09:05 AM
Find More Posts by futile flight
stick banger
United States, FL, Plant City
Joined Jul 2011
1,627 Posts
it's a a personal pref .
futile flight is offline Find More Posts by futile flight
Old 03-11-2014, 09:10 AM
Find More Posts by rcakropilot
What... Weather sucks again!!!
Hyannis, Massachusetts
Joined Jan 2007
5,648 Posts
All of us have our own preferances form setting up our radios, some like really sensative some not so much. Start out with what the manufacturer recommends and then work from there. You will quickly develope your own ideas.
rcakropilot is offline Find More Posts by rcakropilot
Old 03-11-2014, 10:42 AM
Find More Posts by BarracudaHockey
Multi Platform Pilot
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Dec 2007
10,875 Posts
If you want a starting point try 30 percent
BarracudaHockey is offline Find More Posts by BarracudaHockey
Old 03-11-2014, 01:29 PM
Find More Posts by bobzilla
United States, NV, Henderson
Joined Apr 2006
2,541 Posts
positive expo 30-40 low rates, 50-60 high rates (jr/spektrum)
negative expo 30-40 low rates, 50-60 high rates (futaba/hitech)

beginnners who never used expo and are just now experimenting, 20-30 starting out. move up or down according to your own feel/preference.
bobzilla is offline Find More Posts by bobzilla
Old 03-11-2014, 11:13 PM
Find More Posts by patroller
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Sep 2013
779 Posts
I am back to flying from a relatively long break from the hobby. Last spring I started with the aerobatic trainer (Great Planes Trainer 40) that I built back in the 90's and a brand new Spectrum DX8. This lasted a couple weeks before it was just as boring as I remembered. I replaced it with a larger plane, Great Planes Escapade with a Saito 115 engine. I thought it flew great compared to the GP trainer 40, but it was slow and heavy compared to the Super Sportster that I used to fly that I unfortunately sold.

Within a month or two I bought a 48 Edge from Extreme Flight. It took me a couple flights to get used the electric vs the nitro, but the plane flies and lands easier than the Escapade. Over last summer I also picked up a couple Horizon Hobbies foam planes. I quickly started flying the Edge more than the rest combined.

By Fall I had a 78" EF Extra and over the winter I added both their 60" laser and now I am just finishing the 104" Extra. I think I can say I like their planes. I also bought a 32" crack Yak.

If I were to do it over. I would keep the Trainer 40 in my plan because I already had it on the shelf. I would have also started with the twisted hobbies Yak and fly that until I was comfortable. Then I would pick up either a 48" plane or a 60" plane and fly that instead of the nitro based Escapade. The 60" Laser is as big as my Escapade and is a 100 times better plane, especially if you like aerobatics.

The Extras, Edge, Yak and Lasers from EF or 3DHS are pussy cats when the rates or throws are set low, and the throttle is not pegged. The Expo is also helpful in taming these planes. In order to get a feel for it, try a switch or mode on your current Yak and learn what it does and what you like.

The only hurdle for me was getting used to the altered glide slope of electric vs either gas or nitro when the throttle is brought back to idle. In a gas or nitro plane the engine/prop always has some power. In an electric the prop will stop and the plane will slow down faster. To compensate you have to bump the throttle a little.

If you can comfortably fly the T28 and perform rolls, loops, etc, and can land with gentle sidewind using the rudder, you are ready for a 60" plane.

I am running 40% Expo on the 32" crack Yak. This is with maximum throws.
patroller is offline Find More Posts by patroller
Last edited by patroller; 03-11-2014 at 11:42 PM.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:55 PM
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Sep 2013
779 Posts
Here is some video of me flying both my twisted hobbies planes including the crack yak. I am still learning how to fly these planes, but I am getting decent at hovering them.

Twisted Hobbies fun (9 min 56 sec)
Old 03-13-2014, 02:05 AM
Joined Feb 2014
52 Posts
I can do flips and rolls really easily with the trojan and landing has not been a problem for three weeks now (although only the last week i've used rudder to help land)... Last time I flew the foamie it was windy and i had no expo set and landed twice fine but third crashed...I perhaps am misunderstanding your last post , so you do or do not recommend the 3DHS and EF planes?
I also just got the horizon hobby carbon z-cub, have yet to fly fly it because I am on vacation but we will see how that goes next weekend... I guess that will answer my own question!!
Thanks guys
Old 03-13-2014, 12:04 PM
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Sep 2013
779 Posts
Yes, I think the 60" Extras are a fine plane to transition to. I was nervous as hell on my first flight, and my hand shook almost violently, but as soon as my nerves settled I realized the Extra is an easier plane to fly and land than either the T-28 or the cub. This is because it is more maneuverable,has a wider flight envelope and the wing loading is very low. Now if you peg the throttle or if you are really close to stall speed bad things can happen very quickly. But at a modest throttle with the rates toned down, these planes are almost easier than a trainer.

That said you do need to be familiar with all aspects of flight. So once you are familiar with the planes you have and can comfortably fly them, I think you would be fine with this upgrade. If you are a little nervous about it I would suggest getting the 48" Edge or Extra from Extreme Flight. The biggest reason....They are cheaper if you mess up.
Old 03-14-2014, 12:50 AM
Joined Feb 2014
52 Posts
Thanks again patroller
Old 03-23-2015, 06:45 PM
Find More Posts by ronaldopn
Brazil, RJ, Rio de Janeiro
Joined Dec 2014
338 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by patroller View Post
The only hurdle for me was getting used to the altered glide slope of electric vs either gas or nitro when the throttle is brought back to idle. In a gas or nitro plane the engine/prop always has some power. In an electric the prop will stop and the plane will slow down faster. To compensate you have to bump the throttle a little.
You can set a throttle curve to around 10% or so and assign a switch to it. I fly electrics only and all my planes go to idle when I throttle down, never to zero (unless I flip the switch back or use throttle hold). The main advantage is instant response when accelerating from full down stick.
If throttle goes to full zero the ESC has to re-synchronize with motor and this takes a small but noticeable time.
ronaldopn is offline Find More Posts by ronaldopn

Quick Reply