William Storzuk is offline Find More Posts by William Storzuk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 06-14-2012, 01:44 PM
Find More Posts by Revy
Revelstoke, BC
Joined Dec 2009
988 Posts
Well, I wanted to wait a bit to update you on the state of my issue. Two months since there has been no real further communication so far as Ray promised. I know he is busy with his store, but the effort to rectify this is far below what you'd expect from a company, imho. How long has Andreas been on vacation for?

Buyer beware. A few planes to succumb to this is not an epidemic, but maybe a QC issue. Like I said earlier, we all make mistakes every now and then. The tail had to many signs of sloppy work that I feel contributed.

I guess they think their planes are always perfect and if there is a problem it's the pilots fault. Nice set of blinders they have on. Once bitten twice shy.

End of rant...

Good luck with yours guys!
Revy is offline Find More Posts by Revy
Old 06-14-2012, 01:54 PM
Find More Posts by Super08
Who put that tree there?
Fort McMurray AB
Joined Mar 2008
7,126 Posts
Not the outcome one would have hoped for...
Super08 is offline Find More Posts by Super08
Old 06-14-2012, 04:20 PM
Find More Posts by rooman
They're get'n lower mate.....
United States, PA, Home
Joined Nov 2006
3,941 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rooman View Post
I too am done with comp arf......
Its only the small things but when you have to ask & ask - reading an email is a very simple thing
See what I mean -
rooman is offline Find More Posts by rooman
Old 06-14-2012, 05:53 PM
Find More Posts by Hibrass
Farmington WV
Joined Oct 2007
325 Posts
Not the kind of customer service you want to hear about from a manufacturer with this type of product... Pilot RC is certainly an excellent example of what one would hope for on the service side... (And they have had their issues as well.)

I have to admit I have double checked the rear of my bird and all seems well but I haven't had a chance to finish it as of yet..

Ed "My 1st CARF" Harley
Hibrass is offline Find More Posts by Hibrass
Old 06-15-2012, 08:15 AM
Find More Posts by rking
Manila, Philippines
Joined Mar 2006
188 Posts
mine is underway

rking is offline Find More Posts by rking
Old 06-15-2012, 10:20 AM
Find More Posts by Solo 56
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2009
173 Posts
Sorry to hear that Revy........

Kind of puts a new meaning to "checking your six", but I guess I'll need to watch my Edge 540 for possible signs of a problem.

Hopefully your new endeavor (airplane) will work out much better. Please keep us posted on how that goes.
Solo 56 is offline Find More Posts by Solo 56
Old 07-12-2012, 11:25 PM
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2009
173 Posts
So, was out flying the Edge 540 the other day and the smoke system is a big hit with the local flyers. I'm impressed with the airplane and the smoke system is a bonus. It still lands a little quick but I can deal with that. The plane just floats in when you pull the power back, I'm hoping that when the motor gets a little more broken in I can get the idle a little lower. Still having fun!
Old 08-06-2012, 03:39 PM
Find More Posts by reyn3545
United States, FL, Mulberry
Joined Oct 2006
10,499 Posts
Is anybody running this plane with a DA85? I'm thinking about building one and using the 85, but not sure if there's enough room on the motor dome to mount the motor... also, prop clearance is a question. Any suggestions?
reyn3545 is offline Find More Posts by reyn3545
Old 08-06-2012, 03:55 PM
Find More Posts by Revy
Revelstoke, BC
Joined Dec 2009
988 Posts
I think it would pull it along, just not have the power for some 3D stuff.

Stay away from Ray if you get one. Dude still hasn't called me back. I should have taken it to the next level when I first had my doubts about the incident.

Go over the entire thing with a fine tooth comb...put a work light in the fuse searching for cracks in the foam sandwich. They open up enough to weaken the structure. It is these cracks I think are my culprit.
Old 08-06-2012, 04:00 PM
Joined Oct 2006
10,499 Posts
Oops..sorry, you guys are talking about the 100cc size, and I'm thinking about the 2.3M.

I can't find many people that have bought the 2.3, probably for the same concerns that I have. I guess I could step up to the 2.6 and get the hinged ailerons, molded on motor dome and other niceities... but I'm just trying to build a relatively small overpowered toy right now!

Thanks for the quick reply.
Old 08-06-2012, 04:03 PM
Joined Oct 2006
10,499 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revy View Post
I think it would pull it along, just not have the power for some 3D stuff.

Stay away from Ray if you get one. Dude still hasn't called me back. I should have taken it to the next level when I first had my doubts about the incident.

Go over the entire thing with a fine tooth comb...put a work light in the fuse searching for cracks in the foam sandwich. They open up enough to weaken the structure. It is these cracks I think are my culprit.

I was building my 3.0M Extra 330 and also noticed that the foam sandwich SEEMS TO BE much thinner than previous planes that I've built. Particularly on the bottom and in the rear of the fuse. I was going to mount the rudder servos in the tail, but after grabbing that area of the fuse and squeezing a little, I thought twice about cutting more holes in it. No problems yet with it, but I haven't been snapping at all with it. I've had more motor problems than I care to talk about... I think the DA200's came out just a little too early.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:37 PM
Find More Posts by Revy
Revelstoke, BC
Joined Dec 2009
988 Posts
I will edit my posts when he comes through...if ever. Until then...
Old 01-23-2013, 08:31 PM
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2009
173 Posts
I thought I'd give you the latest....I've been fighting an idle surge with the DA-100. It's been driving me nuts and caused a deadstick landing last time out . When you pull the power back the idle would drop real low, almost die and then pick back up to a high idle. This has caused some interesting landings to say the least .
A buddy and I spent the better part of a day adjusting both the high and low carb needles but just couldn't fix the problem. My other DA-100 is just perfect so why is this one a PITA . Well the only difference is my "custom exhaust"....so I removed that and guess what, a perfect running DA-100. I guess you just don't mess with a DA. We picked up several hundred rpm on the top end and the idle is butter smooth. Now I have to cut my cowling and go back to stock mufflers ....oh well, Mom said there'd be days like this. The person that posted about tuning issues with a DA and special exhaust setups was right on the money.......
I'll post some pictures of the reworked cowling and some flying shots later. Right now, I have to figure out how much weight to add to replace the weight of the exhaust.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:24 AM
Find More Posts by pcastine
Approaching critical AoA...
United States, VA, Fredericksburg
Joined Sep 2006
1,495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revy View Post
Honestly I had it up too high and far out to really tell exactly what happened but I couldn't get oriented and she spun straight in nose first. Every input seemed to make the situation worse. Dumb thumbs, idk ...I'm stumped, in awe and kinda numb right now. I don't have much left to recover.
So let me get this straight, the conversation goes something like this:

You: "Hi Ray, I crashed my plane - not entirely certain what happened - but I think it's your fault and I want a new one."

Ray: **crickets chirping**

You: "Man, you're a real ^%#@$%*. Guess I'll start bashing you on the internet and see where that gets me."

You're the first (and only) guy I know of that has had anything bad to say about Ray or his service. I've known him for years; he's always been a stand-up guy and provided great service to his customers.

Sorry you had that misfortune with your Edge. It really sucks to put all that time and money into a plane and watch it spin into the ground. But unless you really know it was faulty craftsmanship, (which you don't according to your post) you really don't have any claim against the company, and I can't fault Ray for not responding to every person who crashes a plane and thinks it's the manufacturer's problem.

Pete
pcastine is offline Find More Posts by pcastine

Quick Reply