logo

FG Talks to Andrew Jesky

We caught up with Andrew Jesky at SEFF this year. We talked about his early RC days and what he's up to now.

Splash

Find out about Andrew Jesky's past and future!

I was on the line at SEFF and got to spend some time with Andrew Jesky. I wanted to share our discussion with everyone on FG. I've known Andrew since around 2007 but I don't think I have ever heard his story. We talk about how he got into the industry, plans for his new RC company and what it takes to be a sponsored pilot.

JT - What did you bring with you to fly at SEFF this year?

AJ - A 93", 73" and 56" Laser. I was able to fly them all this week.

JT - I hate to make you pick your favorite child but which one do you like the most?

AJ - The 73" inch is my favorite. It flies longer than the 93" being electric and it's a fun pattern and 3D plane.

JT - How do you like SEFF as a flying event?

AJ - I have been coming to SEFF since 2007 and it's awesome. This year it was really laid back. Some events can get pretty hectic. At SEFF it's all about flying and hanging out and enjoy the people. The line was really spread out and there is a lot more diversity.

JT - At one point today you were flying your plane and just up the field were 10 guys flying DLGs.

AJ - I saw that! It was a lot of fun!

JT - How old were you at your first SEFF and how long have you been in RC?

AJ - I was 22 at my first SEFF. I started in RC when I was 7. My brother and dad got into a year before me.

JT - When did you transition into the RC industry?

AJ - I got into the industry when I was 15. That is when we designed the first Fliton plane.

JT - I got up an hour early today and ate breakfast with your dad. It was great to sit and hear all the older guys talking RC "back in the day." It was amazing to see that these guys were still so excited by the hobby.

AJ - It is! Our family is going on 23 years in the hobby. Now my nephews fly and even my nieces are interested in it. I'm in Utah a lot so a lot of my family play a role in the new company as well.

JT - What was your transition from being a hobbyist to working in the industry?

AJ - It was just hard work. I think people see the "stuff" and pilots wearing the shirts and they want to be a part of that. The key is really hard work. You have to put your mind to it.

JT - If there were three main qualities that you had to pick as the most important in being a sponsored pilot what would they be?

AJ - The first one is humility. The second is hard work and the third is just being a good person. You don't have to be the best pilot out there, but you need to be the most approachable. You can have a bad day but when someone comes to talk to you have to have a smile on your face and be ready to talk to them. You're not just at the event for yourself. You're there representing Futaba, Hobbico, etc.

JT - So next your headed out to Joe Nall. Are you going to be camped out on the 3D line?

AJ - I'm not sure yet. Our main setup will be on the main line but I will be at the 3D line more this year. We are boothing with DA and JTEC this year. You can find us there!

Check out AJ Aircraft by clicking here.

Images

Last edited by Jim T.; 04-27-2015 at 03:46 PM..
Old 04-27-2015, 05:02 PM
Find More Posts by kevod
United States, UT, Sandy
Joined Mar 2006
38 Posts
From above:
AJ - The first one is humility. The second is hard work and the third is just being a good person. You don't have to be the best pilot out there, but you need to be the most approachable. You can have a bad day but when someone comes to talk to you have to have a smile on your face and be ready to talk to them. You're not just at the event for yourself. You're there representing Futaba, Hobbico, etc.

This statement personifies AJ's real world actions perfectly.

I am lucky enough to be able to fly with him many weekends when he is in Utah, and it has honestly surprised me how much he is willing to help others - myself included a few times.
kevod is offline Find More Posts by kevod
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2015, 11:31 AM
Find More Posts by hosam
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Oct 2006
130 Posts
^^^^
+1,000...
hosam is offline Find More Posts by hosam
Old 04-29-2015, 11:08 AM
Find More Posts by RJ 706
United States, GA, Evans
Joined Feb 2011
178 Posts

One of the most polite young men I have ever met.
Always welcomes everyone with a sincere smile.
RJ 706 is offline Find More Posts by RJ 706
Old 05-01-2015, 10:14 PM
Find More Posts by borealnw
life is good
United States, OR, Gresham
Joined Feb 2009
591 Posts
I met AJ at the Tucson shootout in 2011. On Saturday I landed my Carden upside down on the run way and he gave me "exchanged" two BLS157 Futaba servos so I could finish out the weekend. I will never forget the help from AJ and Goodwine along with many others who pitched in that day. With out the sacrifice of parts and the time away from their own competition I would not have been able to continue.

That said the back ground story is it was a very frustrating day for most. The wind was a calm 21 mph in your face, dust devils moving about and a fun little rain storm to top off the day. When asked by someone in passing How are you doing AJ? He smiled and said "living the dream".
borealnw is offline Find More Posts by borealnw
Old 05-08-2015, 02:18 PM
Find More Posts by Shaker
Doug Cronkhite
Joined Jan 2006
2,567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevod View Post
From above:
Andrew is EXACTLY what a sponsored pilot should be. There are many who don't get it.. He does!
Shaker is offline Find More Posts by Shaker

Quick Reply