logo
Old 11-21-2008, 03:27 PM
Find More Posts by bomberbill
port orange fl.
Joined Sep 2007
19 Posts
rivets

this topic must have been talked about before but I need to know the easyest or best way to install them on a warbird

bomberbill
bomberbill is offline Find More Posts by bomberbill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 11-21-2008, 04:11 PM
Find More Posts by Unbalanced
Joined Dec 2006
717 Posts
Re: rivets

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberbill View Post
this topic must have been talked about before but I need to know the easyest or best way to install them on a warbird

bomberbill
It's easy but very time consuming.

Raised rivits can be made with tiny drops of glue (usually plain white glue works best). This is done before the last coat of primer is applied. Although you can apply after primer as well.

Flush rivits are made by cutting little circles in the primer with a small piece of brass tubing.
This is done after primer and before paint.

Good luck with it. What are you building?
Unbalanced is offline Find More Posts by Unbalanced
Old 11-21-2008, 07:31 PM
Find More Posts by sweetpea
If you can't HUCK it BLING IT!
United States, OH, Lebanon
Joined Jan 2006
11,244 Posts

The first method typically uses a template of evenly spaced holes on some type of plastic material so the dots are uniform.

The 2nd method uses brass tubing which you can press into the surface or attach it to a soder gun that is heat adjustable so you can burn the rivets in.

I did the 2nd method on my P-47.........it does take time but looks really good.

Name: DSC00554.JPG
Views: 535
Size: 35.7 KB
Description:

There are also several other methods out there, find what you like.
sweetpea is offline Find More Posts by sweetpea
Old 12-01-2008, 04:30 AM
Find More Posts by fightingfalcon839
Radials Rock
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Jul 2008
16 Posts

Thanks for the posts guys, was looking to do this as well! Always good to see what others do.

Cheers
fightingfalcon839 is offline Find More Posts by fightingfalcon839
Old 10-24-2009, 01:48 PM
Find More Posts by tailskid2
United States, AL, Mobile
Joined Feb 2007
557 Posts

Sweatpea....very well done!
tailskid2 is offline Find More Posts by tailskid2
Old 10-24-2009, 04:12 PM
Find More Posts by Black Sheep
Cowra NSW Australia
Joined Feb 2006
710 Posts

For added detail like Sweetpea's effect, you could push a pin (with the point filed off) into some balsa and push the balsa into the brass tube so the pin is flush and centered. This will give you that center dimple as often seen.
As far as raised rivets, I've found that tubes or bottles of fabric paint work well as it it controllable, doesn't drip and you can get it in silver, so if a bit of paint flakes off, you have a silver rivet visible. This stuff doesn't flatten out as glue can sometimes do and can be made very small or large as your needs require. It also dries within an hour or so.
Black Sheep is offline Find More Posts by Black Sheep
Old 10-24-2009, 06:28 PM
Find More Posts by sweetpea
If you can't HUCK it BLING IT!
United States, OH, Lebanon
Joined Jan 2006
11,244 Posts

Thanks. The detail on my plane is very good for my first try at scale appearance.
sweetpea is offline Find More Posts by sweetpea
Old 01-23-2011, 01:35 AM
Find More Posts by blkbird
United States, NY, Kings County
Joined Nov 2010
28 Posts

FYI: I'm working on designing a rivet embossing machine that will do flush & raised rivets. I'll give details when close to completion. My design will allow any configuration of rivets, will do the fuselage & wings; And do the job in an hour!!
blkbird is offline Find More Posts by blkbird
Old 12-13-2011, 02:12 AM
Find More Posts by S Mullis
Fly Low and Dirty
Monterey,Tennessee
Joined May 2007
406 Posts
Hello, How would someone that bought an ARF warbird that has the covering all attached simulate rivets? My fuselage is no problem it has the panel lines and rivits on it already. I just want to put rivets on a already covered wing and stab. On my fuse the rivets are flush so I can assume they would be flush on the wings also.On a 80" warbird how close should the rivets be for a scale appearance?
Thanks,
Steve Mullis
S Mullis is offline Find More Posts by S Mullis
Old 12-13-2011, 11:28 AM
Find More Posts by rcmigpilot
United States, LA, Berwick
Joined Mar 2010
182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by S Mullis View Post
Hello, How would someone that bought an ARF warbird that has the covering all attached simulate rivets? My fuselage is no problem it has the panel lines and rivits on it already. I just want to put rivets on a already covered wing and stab. On my fuse the rivets are flush so I can assume they would be flush on the wings also.On a 80" warbird how close should the rivets be for a scale appearance?
Thanks,
Steve Mullis
I don't know of any way to add 3D rivets, but you can add dry transfers like the ones from Promark.
rcmigpilot is offline Find More Posts by rcmigpilot
Old 11-23-2014, 10:31 AM
Find More Posts by John Schroder
Clover Creek Aerodrome
Toone TN
Joined Jul 2006
377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkbird View Post
FYI: I'm working on designing a rivet embossing machine that will do flush & raised rivets. I'll give details when close to completion. My design will allow any configuration of rivets, will do the fuselage & wings; And do the job in an hour!!
Anyone have an update on this?

see you soon,
John
John Schroder is offline Find More Posts by John Schroder
Old 11-23-2014, 05:46 PM
Find More Posts by CHAD VEICH
ARIZONA
Joined May 2007
56 Posts
I offer laser cut vinyl rivets, screw heads, and Dzus fasteners. I can make the rivets in any diameter from 1/32" on up and with any spacing between rivets that you need. Double rows, staggered rows, circular pattern rivets, etc. are all no problem. For builders who are painting their models I generally make them from burnished chrome vinyl which allows for realistic weathering. If you would like to add them to a finished model, either painted or with some iron on type of finish, then I can make them in a nearly endless variety of colors. On gas or glow powered models I recommend a clear coat of some type over them but this is probably not necessary for electric models. For modelers looking at replicating button head rivets and considering the glue-drop method you might consider putting the glue on top of the vinyl rivets. The glue will spread out to the edge of the vinyl and no further which keeps your glue drops precisely the same diameter for a much more uniform appearance. If you have questions or would like more information please contact me at the email address below.

Much appreciated!

Chad Veich
cwveich@cwvmodels.com
CHAD VEICH is offline Find More Posts by CHAD VEICH
Old 12-30-2014, 07:16 AM
Find More Posts by vincentj
United States, NH, Peterborough
Joined Sep 2013
6 Posts
rivet update

I have another alternative in making rivets, but I will caution you that it is time consuming, but your efforts will yield the most realistic raised rivets I have seen to date...

Rivets are made by taking 4-40 or 2-56 rod (depending on scale) and grinding a dome on one end of the rod. This dome will be used to punch out your rivets from soda (or beer) cans using a hammer. Simply cut the top and bottom off the aluminum can, then slice it down the side to allow the can to lay flat. The rivets are punched out of the skin of the can using the rod much like a die. I have found that it is best to have a rubber sheet under the can while punching out the rivets one at a time...

Once the rivets are made, they are attached to the surface of the models primed surface with the heat from a pencil tipped soldering iron. The heat produced will burnish the rivet head into the primer and it will hold the rivet to the models primed surface very well. Final paint will permanently lock the rivets on your model.

If this process interests you I will be happy to post some photos of the process and its final results.
vincentj is offline Find More Posts by vincentj
Old 07-07-2015, 07:58 PM
Find More Posts by Broken Wings
United States, FL, Cocoa
Joined Jan 2009
139 Posts
Pneumatic Glue Dispenser

http://m.ebay.com/itm/191280179207

If you have a compressor these work great for raised rivets. I use regular Elmers white glue but you can use any type you like. Fill the syringe, attach the needle, adjust the "shot" amount and tap away on the foot pedal... the regulator is very accurate and the rivet head size stays constant. After a while you get in the rhythm and it moves along pretty quick.
Broken Wings is offline Find More Posts by Broken Wings

Quick Reply