logo
Old 08-31-2010, 03:15 PM
Find More Posts by Pistolera
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2006
4,242 Posts
Re: 3DHS 103" 330SC Assembly Thread

Put three 12 minute flights on the DA120....WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!!!!!!!!! This thing just pulls SO MUCH harder than the 100, I am amazed. Still running the same Mej 25x12S 3-blade prop....and still very quiet on cans. And I'm landing with just shy of 1/2 tank (1 liter Fiji), so will prolly be looking at 14-15 minute flight times with lots of reserve. I haven't touched the needles yet. Running on Pennzoil 2-stroke at 32:1 Slight burbles here and there but still INSTANT throttle response when ya need it...starts very easy and idles way down and smooooooth.

On the 3rd flight I was doing stationary and then climbing flat spins.... unbelievable!!!!!! Can't wait to get'r broken in and see what she'll really do.

This thing is the bomb

Earle
Pistolera is offline Find More Posts by Pistolera
Last edited by Pistolera; 11-17-2014 at 09:16 AM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled) Quick reply to this message (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old 08-31-2010, 03:30 PM
Find More Posts by gapple12
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Aug 2006
4,561 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistolera View Post
Put three 12 minute flights on the DA120....WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!!!!!!!!! This thing just pulls SO MUCH harder than the 100, I am amazed. Still running the same Mej 25x12S 3-blade prop....and still very quiet on cans. And I'm landing with just shy of 1/2 tank (1 liter Fiji), so will prolly be looking at 14-15 minute flight times with lots of reserve. I haven't touched the needles yet. Running on Pennzoil 2-stroke at 32:1 Slight burbles here and there but still INSTANT throttle response when ya need it...starts very easy and idles way down and smooooooth.

On the 3rd flight I was doing stationary and then climbing flat spins.... unbelievable!!!!!! Can't wait to get'r broken in and see what she'll really do.

This thing is the bomb

Earle
Wow, that looks so real in those pics. The plane looks incredible.
gapple12 is offline Find More Posts by gapple12
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2010, 06:20 PM
Find More Posts by MLT67
United States, GA, Monroe
Joined May 2006
177 Posts

Hey Earle did you have to add spacers on the 120 since it's shorter than the 100?
MLT67 is offline Find More Posts by MLT67
Old 08-31-2010, 06:51 PM
Find More Posts by Pistolera
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2006
4,242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLT67 View Post
Hey Earle did you have to add spacers on the 120 since it's shorter than the 100?
Yeah.....I added steel one washer behind the aluminum "standoff" washers I already was using on the DA100 and then used the prop washer on the front of the hub, behind the spinner back plate.

I didn't want to move the engine any further forward if possible for 2 reasons. 1st - the cowling tapers narrower as it goes forward and that would make the port side plug cap even closer than it is. 2nd - I could use some rear weight for CG, so the lighter engine plus not moving it much helped there. My CG is perfect with this setup (cans, White Rose tailwheel, pull/pull, full cockpit and smoke system.

KE I'm at +4 on left rudder and +6 on right (or visa versa) with zero aileron mix needed. Flies med speed KE hands off.
I have -1 on the downline mix (zero throttle).

Earle
Pistolera is offline Find More Posts by Pistolera
Reply With Quote  (Disabled) Quick reply to this message (Disabled)
Old 09-03-2010, 08:20 AM
Find More Posts by junkmail4mjd
Joined Mar 2009
59 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistolera View Post

This thing is the bomb

Earle
Sweet, the plane looks awesome and you have to love climbing flat spins!
junkmail4mjd is offline Find More Posts by junkmail4mjd
Old 09-04-2010, 10:04 AM
Find More Posts by aerofli
ohio
Joined Jan 2006
174 Posts

3DHS , when will this plane be back in stock?
aerofli is offline Find More Posts by aerofli
Old 09-22-2010, 10:34 AM
Find More Posts by AllBread
Joined Dec 2007
270 Posts
Any Colorado flyers need one?

Sadly, the plane featured in this build thread is for sale. I ran out of time to fly and figure I'd sell it before it sat in the garage all winter and then got crashed on it's first outing of the spring.

I'm selling it RTF for a killer price (how does 2k sound?) so hopefully it will go fast and go to a good home.

Check it out here:

https://www.flyinggiants.com/swapsho...?product=20460
AllBread is offline Find More Posts by AllBread
Old 09-22-2010, 11:26 AM
Find More Posts by 3DHobbyShop
I work for Extreme Flight RC.
TEXAS
Joined Apr 2006
1,284 Posts

aerofli - We aren't always able to monitor all the threads on the internet about our planes. If you have a question for us, it works better to contact us directly. As an example, I see that you are from Ohio, about a week after your question, we sold a few 103's at the Ohio Huckfest...don't know if you were one of those guys or not. they are out of stock now, we expect more in approx 60 days. Thanks!
3DHobbyShop is offline Find More Posts by 3DHobbyShop
Last edited by 3DHobbyShop; 09-22-2010 at 11:34 AM.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:44 PM
Find More Posts by huvaljohn
United States, LA, Lafayette
Joined Jun 2010
967 Posts
Maidened my 103" yesterday and concerned about temp of the DA 120. I have run it several times static before and put about 6 minutes on it this first time in the air. Upon landing, I checked the temp and obtained 220 deg F at center of each cylinder and about 195 at the tip of cylinder cooling fins. I left the factory settings for low and high end carb adjustments. Running at sea level with outside temp about 80 deg.
Questions
1) Is this normal?
2) Those running a DA120 with standard muffs, I left the cannsiter tunnel blockoff plate installed and do not have the additional ventalation pipe hatches opened up. The only air exit are the 8 V-shaped openings cut in the lower cowl. Is this enough? Ration of Inlet vs Outlet? See pics..
3) Is it perhaps just running a little lean? No discoloration of cylinder and seemed to transition smoothly
I do have the front entry holes baffled. See pics
Any advise is appreciated
huvaljohn is offline Find More Posts by huvaljohn
Old 03-20-2011, 07:49 PM
Joined Jun 2010
967 Posts
Also, The entire 6 minute maiden was between 1/4 and 1/2 throttle. Only 2 short blips at full throttle for maybe 3 sec.

Thinking about opening up the cannister tunnel to let the hot air escape??

Quote:
Originally Posted by huvaljohn View Post
Maidened my 103" yesterday and concerned about temp of the DA 120. I have run it several times static before and put about 6 minutes on it this first time in the air. Upon landing, I checked the temp and obtained 220 deg F at center of each cylinder and about 195 at the tip of cylinder cooling fins. I left the factory settings for low and high end carb adjustments. Running at sea level with outside temp about 80 deg.
Questions
1) Is this normal?
2) Those running a DA120 with standard muffs, I left the cannsiter tunnel blockoff plate installed and do not have the additional ventalation pipe hatches opened up. The only air exit are the 8 V-shaped openings cut in the lower cowl. Is this enough? Ration of Inlet vs Outlet? See pics..
3) Is it perhaps just running a little lean? No discoloration of cylinder and seemed to transition smoothly
Old 03-20-2011, 07:59 PM
Find More Posts by jamesrxx951
IMAC NC ARD
Joined Jan 2009
11,130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by huvaljohn View Post
Questions
1) Is this normal?

first off, get that motor properly tuned. factory settings are just that, preset setting to allow it to run. you need to tune it properly for your area. secondly the exit air escapes look to be not enough. might need more exit area.
jamesrxx951 is offline Find More Posts by jamesrxx951
Old 03-20-2011, 08:23 PM
Find More Posts by Josh Price
3DHS Trunk-Monkey
Arkansas
Joined May 2006
4,297 Posts
agree. that is not enough openings for the air to exit the cowl. you want three times the amount for the air to come out then the air to go in. Also with your set up like that the air rushes past the holes on the bottom and prevents the from coming out. if you put a small piece of metal or something in front of the opening then it will create a area of turbulent air around the holes allowing it to come out. I would do this before you tune it because it will effect your tuning if the air is not venting out of the cowl correctly
Josh Price is offline Find More Posts by Josh Price
Old 03-20-2011, 08:29 PM
Find More Posts by jamesrxx951
IMAC NC ARD
Joined Jan 2009
11,130 Posts
those planes i believe have a canister tunnel. i would use that to help out with cooling. i don't know if it is slotted but that could easily be done to make it look better than just a huge opening.
jamesrxx951 is offline Find More Posts by jamesrxx951
Old 03-20-2011, 09:02 PM
Find More Posts by crazychris
Joined Dec 2010
598 Posts
This is such a great,great airplane backed by the best company out there !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
crazychris is offline Find More Posts by crazychris
Old 03-20-2011, 09:09 PM
Joined Jun 2010
967 Posts
Josh,

Yes, I was thinking about adding a fin to the frontmost exit opening to create a low pressure region to assist in sucking out the hot air. Possilby my last resort if needed.

How about removing the cannister tunnel isolation wall as well as installing the slotted covers for the tunnel pan? This way the air can travel to the rear with much more escape area.

How do you have yours setup? I did not notice when you were at the TX shootout in Dayton last year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Price View Post
agree. that is not enough openings for the air to exit the cowl. you want three times the amount for the air to come out then the air to go in. Also with your set up like that the air rushes past the holes on the bottom and prevents the from coming out. if you put a small piece of metal or something in front of the opening then it will create a area of turbulent air around the holes allowing it to come out. I would do this before you tune it because it will effect your tuning if the air is not venting out of the cowl correctly

Quick Reply