Find More Posts by Ian
Ian
Pro Crasherer
Cambridge, England!
Joined Apr 2006
676 Posts
NEW Extreme Flight RC Yak 54, 74 Inch!

Howdy everyone!

Thought id try a build thread on here......

As you all know, the extreme flight RC Yak 54 was quite frankly, well, an epic plane. Set the example for all things to come in the 3D world, in both quality and performance. However, with one thing or another, manufacuring ceased.... to the annoyance of many people!

Not to be set back, Chris has designed somthing a bit bigger, and much better!!! The EFRC Yak 54, 74" span!

and i have one

Well, the model was originally flown on an OS 160, which is what you see in the pics (chris putting it through its paces). Dan of Freestyle RC is also using an OS 160. It can also be used with an YS 140 and the 160, which i can tell you all is one heck of a motor (turns an 19x8w, and ooh so smooth).

However, ive gone for somthing slightly more enviromentally friendly Hacker Power!

To be a bit more specific im going to be using a Hacker C50-14xl Acro Competition. This is a top of the range motor, best money can buy, for 2m models, all the top pattern pilots use it. It comes at price, but when added up against a YS 160/hyde/haitori setup, its about the same. with 10s1p Flightpower 5000 packs, and a 21x13 Wide Electric prop, i should be pushing 2.8Kw!!! hopefully all that power will be helpfull as an E setup will weigh approx 1kg more than the IC setup (dry), about 2lbs. If i can keep the weight to 12lbs, and have 2.8kw, i will have 233w/lb!

As for small gassers, personally i wouldnt reccomend one, but if i did have to, a ZDZ 40 or a Evo/MVVS 45 MAG (magnesium casing, much lighter), both with lipos on the ignition

unlike many (read: 99% of them) companies, Chris has listened to peoples comments on the 68" yak, and changed things for the better on the 74. For example...... a pre-isntalled canopy latch!

a strong, light Carbon Fibre tail wheel (stearable, just in this picture its not had its arm attached). Red screws are my own fittings, as i had them and they look cool

Other things include the double truss phelonic controll horns, which will have heavy duty 4-40 dubro pushrods attached

and again, this is another CAD masterpeice, first time these pics have been shown on the net!

and check it, NO FOAM!

Ian is offline Find More Posts by Ian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 07-29-2006, 07:19 AM
Ian
Find More Posts by Ian
Ian
Pro Crasherer
Cambridge, England!
Joined Apr 2006
676 Posts
Re: NEW Extreme Flight RC Yak 54, 74 Inch!

now the fun bit!!

what we have here is a:

Hacker C50-14xl Acro Competition (with my name laster engraved on the back)

Hacker Master 90-0-Acro Competiton ESC (posh F3A brake on it)
Programmer Box
APC 21x13 wide electric which has a chord of nearly 2" near the centre!

Its absolutly amazing, superbly engineered bit of kit, and im glad, the price was stupid!!! Its the best motor setup money can buy, so hopefully it will go well

sorry for the fuzzy pictures in the next bit, my cameras macro setting wasnt working for some reason

prop put on canopy opening for sizing, its huge!

installed the ESC. mounted under the motorbox, plenty of air should flow through the cowl and then over the ESCs huuuge heatsink and then out of the bottom of the cowl. Alse opened the front of the first "firewall" to let air in for the batteries. I will most proberbly open the rest up too and create some baffling to cool the lipos. Using 6mm gold connectors

again, sorry for the fuzzy pic

Now the only problem with the hacker C50 range, is mounting the thing! The motor is designed for a pattern plane, where it can be mounted on nose ring of the fuse, however, as i have a huge open cowl, i cant do this. So i CAD drew a motor mount. The final design has changed a bit now, but this is what its vaugly like....

Anyway, thats what ive done now, keep checking back for more updates, i plan to fly it next week so there will be a few comming

Thanks for looking
Ian
Old 07-29-2006, 07:25 AM
Find More Posts by 50%plane
Suspended Account
North Mexico
Joined Jan 2006
21,384 Posts

Looks fabulous Ian!
50%plane is offline Find More Posts by 50%plane
Reply With Quote  (Disabled) Quick reply to this message (Disabled)
Old 07-29-2006, 07:49 AM
Find More Posts by HuckinChikn
just wanna FLY!
St. Louis
Joined Jul 2006
2,582 Posts

Ian, I definately want some progress reports! the thing looks amazing!
HuckinChikn is offline Find More Posts by HuckinChikn
Old 07-29-2006, 08:05 AM
Ian
Find More Posts by Ian
Ian
Pro Crasherer
Cambridge, England!
Joined Apr 2006
676 Posts

Another pic to wind you all up, this ones got an OS160 in it. Pic taken on its first flight.
Old 07-29-2006, 09:07 AM
Find More Posts by 50%plane
Suspended Account
North Mexico
Joined Jan 2006
21,384 Posts

*drool*
50%plane is offline Find More Posts by 50%plane
Reply With Quote  (Disabled) Quick reply to this message (Disabled)
Old 07-29-2006, 09:57 AM
Find More Posts by Uncle Brett
Huntington Beach CA.
Joined Jan 2006
1,318 Posts

Nice Ian, can't wait for the rest of this build and the flight report. I'm thinking of doing the same build except going with Neumotor power instead of Hacker. I don't know if you know this but Esprit Model (www.espritmodel.com) sells an aluminum motor mount made just for the Hacker C50 series, if you don't want to make your own. If you're interested go to the website, click on Accessories/Motor Accessories/Motor E Mounts. It's type 3 motor mount. You just have to figure out how long you need the extension rods.
Thanks again Ian, I will be following this thread with great interest
dook
Uncle Brett is offline Find More Posts by Uncle Brett
Old 07-29-2006, 02:01 PM
Find More Posts by youngflyer
United States, MD, Frederick
Joined Jan 2006
1,234 Posts

how did you do that hatch. where did you buy the clip from!
youngflyer is offline Find More Posts by youngflyer
Old 07-29-2006, 04:02 PM
Ian
Find More Posts by Ian
Ian
Pro Crasherer
Cambridge, England!
Joined Apr 2006
676 Posts

it comes pre-installed. great idea, especially when i have packs to remove, will take all of a second
Old 07-29-2006, 04:08 PM
Ian
Find More Posts by Ian
Ian
Pro Crasherer
Cambridge, England!
Joined Apr 2006
676 Posts

on with the build!

ive now installed the rudder closed loop, i used the durbo 4-40 system as i didnt get one in my kit (pre-production plane remember). Servo is a hitec HS5645, a bit slow, but im only borrowing it and ill get my own one soon.

down the fuz, i have crossed the wires over so i dont get slack in the non pulling wire

and at the back, i have 4-40 dubro racing mega ball links. Very high quality these.

next i glued the cowl mounting blocks in with thin CA. sorry for the fuzzy pic

i then installed the firewall tri-stock. this is all pre-cut and pre-chamfered. Very nice touch

next, link up and hinge the ailerons.

Started with making the bottom of the phelonic (Sp.) control horns rougher by rubbing them down with a low grit sandpaper.

them i dry installed them, drew around them, and cut the covering away for a good glue joint, using a soldering iron to make sure i didnt weeken the wood

and then glued in with 5 min epoxy...

Old 07-29-2006, 04:09 PM
Ian
Find More Posts by Ian
Ian
Pro Crasherer
Cambridge, England!
Joined Apr 2006
676 Posts

and just to tempt you all a bit more, heres a pic of the inside of the wing! very complex!

Old 07-29-2006, 09:02 PM
Find More Posts by GremlinX
Father of the Scale Furum
Chapel Hill, TN
Joined Jan 2006
4,595 Posts

Man.... I just sold my ready to run 68" EF with a Saito 1.80 to make room for one of these...
GremlinX is offline Find More Posts by GremlinX
Old 07-30-2006, 12:04 AM
Huntington Beach CA.
Joined Jan 2006
1,318 Posts

No No Ian , no need to thank me, just trying to help a brotha out
Old 07-30-2006, 05:03 AM
Ian
Find More Posts by Ian
Ian
Pro Crasherer
Cambridge, England!
Joined Apr 2006
676 Posts

hey man, sorry! just checked the link in your post, looks like a much neater mount that mine. If the guy hasnt ordered the materials for me to make mine, ill order it from there. Hope they can get it to me in a working week (im in the UK), its killing me not being able to fly this thing!

Thanks
Ian
Old 07-30-2006, 09:51 AM
Huntington Beach CA.
Joined Jan 2006
1,318 Posts

Just messing with ya Ian I'm glad you didn't take it the wrong way. It's good to have you over here on the Giants. I've been following your posts on the EF Extra 300 on RCG, some great imputs and great flying. I was thinking about converting a Showtime to E power but after seeing this thread I'm going to hold off and wait and see how your conversion of this plane turns out and what your impressions are. Keep up the good work.
Cheers
dook

Quick Reply