logo
Old 07-26-2012, 10:54 PM
Find More Posts by Bmack
You Can Never Be "Too Low"
Arizona
Joined Jun 2010
25 Posts
Also the only 3W I've seen "run" was modified 100 with a DA ignition...AND the DA 100 in the same plane produced more power.
Bmack is offline Find More Posts by Bmack
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 07-26-2012, 10:55 PM
Find More Posts by Bunky F. Knuckle
Just your Average Joe.
Joined Jan 2006
9,237 Posts
Its all dependant on exhaust. I run all stocks. No messing with header length, etc...........
Bunky F. Knuckle is offline Find More Posts by Bunky F. Knuckle
Old 07-26-2012, 10:59 PM
Find More Posts by Bmack
You Can Never Be "Too Low"
Arizona
Joined Jun 2010
25 Posts
Still my point is that every 3W in the Southwest IMAC region I see the owner has the cowl off after every flight or dead sticks a round during the contest. I haven't seen one that performs well without modifications, and even so not as well as a DA. Not trying to sound like a dick, I'm just haven't seen good quality out of 3W.
Bmack is offline Find More Posts by Bmack
Old 07-26-2012, 11:08 PM
Find More Posts by brycesteenburg
mattoon illinois usa
Joined Jan 2007
1,280 Posts
Have one of each DA 150 with comparable gals through it as the 3W 157. Both on stock muffs and both have been in the same airframe with the 3W being slightly heavier. Both tuned and running great. Both have made me mad at times and both have made me happy. BUT the 3W157 is noticeably more powerful than the DA. I could care less about the DA vs 3W vs ZDZ power trip people play. The 3W has more grunt, a little finicky but once right a great engine. The DA is a great engine but not quite the grunt and a little more user friendly. My 2cents with no emotional bias towards either.
brycesteenburg is offline Find More Posts by brycesteenburg
Old 07-27-2012, 10:59 AM
Find More Posts by The Dirt Doctor
Vicksburg, MS
Joined Nov 2006
2,394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brycesteenburg View Post
Have one of each DA 150 with comparable gals through it as the 3W 157. Both on stock muffs and both have been in the same airframe with the 3W being slightly heavier. Both tuned and running great. Both have made me mad at times and both have made me happy. BUT the 3W157 is noticeably more powerful than the DA. I could care less about the DA vs 3W vs ZDZ power trip people play. The 3W has more grunt, a little finicky but once right a great engine. The DA is a great engine but not quite the grunt and a little more user friendly. My 2cents with no emotional bias towards either.
What prop and how many rpms with that prop are you running on your 157?

Bobby aka TDD
The Dirt Doctor is offline Find More Posts by The Dirt Doctor
Old 07-27-2012, 01:17 PM
Find More Posts by brycesteenburg
mattoon illinois usa
Joined Jan 2007
1,280 Posts
Same prop on both. MenzS 32-10 The DA seemed fine with it but I would not put anything bigger on it. The 3W spun it happily and was asking for more. As far as RPM, couldn't tell ya. The plane in the air, the feel, observing the ease of flight maneuvers and the throttle activity to do so told the tale. Same day observation. It went from the DA of "man this pulls it great!!!" Then to the 3W "Wow! this is a wild one!" Just my experience. The 3W stays on the plane at this time.
brycesteenburg is offline Find More Posts by brycesteenburg
Old 07-27-2012, 01:44 PM
Find More Posts by The Dirt Doctor
Vicksburg, MS
Joined Nov 2006
2,394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brycesteenburg View Post
Same prop on both. MenzS 32-10 The DA seemed fine with it but I would not put anything bigger on it. The 3W spun it happily and was asking for more. As far as RPM, couldn't tell ya. The plane in the air, the feel, observing the ease of flight maneuvers and the throttle activity to do so told the tale. Same day observation. It went from the DA of "man this pulls it great!!!" Then to the 3W "Wow! this is a wild one!" Just my experience. The 3W stays on the plane at this time.
Thanks for the info.

Bobby
The Dirt Doctor is offline Find More Posts by The Dirt Doctor
Old 07-27-2012, 01:46 PM
Find More Posts by Unmanned
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2012
1,031 Posts
It always seems that many that are limited in exposure and experiene always malign the product that requires a little more knowledge to use, and once understood, provides more power and torque than the product that will work "acceptably" once out of the bubble wrap. I have yet to see a "worn out" 3w, and I've seen a lot of 3w's with a lot of time on them. OTH, I've seen quite a few that were put into an early grave because of the users.

Lots of good engines to choose from out there, but the fact is, some make a lot more power than others and some are easier for some people to use than others. Sort of like the difference between an automatic transmission and an 18 speed manual I suppose. With one you just have to be a little better to take advantage of it.
Unmanned is offline Find More Posts by Unmanned
Reply With Quote  (Disabled) Quick reply to this message (Disabled)
Old 09-13-2012, 04:34 PM
Find More Posts by AeroncaChamp
United States, IN, Valparaiso
Joined Mar 2010
68 Posts
Hello Guys!! Thanks for all your input on my 3W157. I can't wait to install it on my 40% Extreme Flight TOC Yak54. Gerhart have said it again, and again, "the 157 engine is sure power per square inch" It's a gentle lamb, and it's a beast when unleashed!!! I heard it with my own ears, the power and the sound of a 3W 157, is un-mistakable.
AeroncaChamp is offline Find More Posts by AeroncaChamp
Old 09-13-2012, 05:47 PM
Find More Posts by rooman
They're get'n lower mate.....
United States, PA, Home
Joined Nov 2006
3,941 Posts
I have a 157 CS on a 40% edge 540 and it hauls.......
It does however have a C&H ignition
rooman is offline Find More Posts by rooman
Old 09-18-2012, 11:01 PM
Find More Posts by Mongrel
Happiness is LAX at V1
United States, LA, Springhill
Joined Sep 2010
192 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmack View Post
Still my point is that every 3W in the Southwest IMAC region I see the owner has the cowl off after every flight or dead sticks a round during the contest. I haven't seen one that performs well without modifications, and even so not as well as a DA. Not trying to sound like a dick, I'm just haven't seen good quality out of 3W.
Sorry bro, but that sounds like a bunch of horse dump. You should get out more.
Mongrel is offline Find More Posts by Mongrel

Quick Reply