3D1
Find More Posts by 3D1
3D1
Damn Wind
MA
Joined Oct 2008
344 Posts
Re: Pilot-RC 30% Yak

the bars are padded so you can rest them right on the frame but I only have a 50cc. you could make some straps pretty easily or get thicker padding if needed. they work great.
3D1 is offline Find More Posts by 3D1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 05-12-2009, 06:54 AM
Find More Posts by jdmilla
Lakeland, FL
Joined Mar 2009
234 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
What power packs do you prefer on this airplane with the 5 HD servos ? I was thinking about two 1100 mah A123 packs in parallel, each with it's own switch, and a separate nmhd 1500 mah pack for the ignition. Lower voltage is required for the DL-50 - Not sure about taps & balancing, etc.

I got my wing cover straight enough to keep building
I'm using one 2 cell K2 2500 mah pack with a BEC-type 8A regulator. I was running unregulated, which the HD servos didn't seem to have a problem with, but my mini throttle servo did.

For ignition I'm using a 2S 1350 mah Lipo with 5A 5.2V regulator. I've put up to 6 flights on one charge and not even used half of the capacities of the batteries. I'll post links to the stuff I used if you are interested.
jdmilla is offline Find More Posts by jdmilla
Old 05-12-2009, 07:01 AM
Lakeland, FL
Joined Mar 2009
234 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheEdge View Post
Hey dude,
How wobbly is that stand? I've been thinking of making something like that too out of pvc.... but I'm concerned how stable it'd be with the weight of the plane on it.
It's a little "springy" but not so much that I don't trust the plane on it. I was thinking to reinforce it with two more cross pieces above the hinge point. I made it high enough where I didn't have to bend over to access it.

I'll tell you what though, for what I spent in materials, that stand that 3D1 found looks great. You can get the strap material at Ace Hardware and just make some straps for it. Looks like it adjusts up to 40" tall. It's 1' steel vs 1/2" pvc. I think I might try one.
Old 05-12-2009, 07:55 AM
3D1
Find More Posts by 3D1
3D1
Damn Wind
MA
Joined Oct 2008
344 Posts

I actually use this one http://www.crlaurence.com/ProductPag...59.html?Origin=. Its lighter I just used the other picture to show what I was talking about and you cant buy from CRL unless you are a business. you can find these stands many places. I guess if anybody is interested in the stands stands from CRL I could get them for you and ship them.
Old 05-12-2009, 07:08 PM
Lakeland, FL
Joined Mar 2009
234 Posts

Do the crossbars interfere with putting the wings on? I guess if you made straps taught enough, the wing sockets would sit above the crossbars.
Old 05-12-2009, 07:52 PM
3D1
Find More Posts by 3D1
3D1
Damn Wind
MA
Joined Oct 2008
344 Posts

I dont use any straps the stand has soft foam pad across the frame I put my plane on the padded top of the stand.
Old 05-16-2009, 09:51 PM
Find More Posts by OverTheEdge
Kewanee, IL. USA
Joined Jul 2007
244 Posts

Well I finally got around to doing what I can on my Yak.... If you remember at the begining of this thread, I bought this plane mostly to be a back-up airframe to my wh edge 540. So I don't have engine, servos, etc.... But I thought I might as well do all the other assembly stuff.... landing gear, tail gear, wheel pants, misc stuff.... the only thing I have left to do is install the horns in the rudder and ailerons. I decided to put it together for the first time and take a pic.... so here it is.
Not a bad looking Yak.
I'm still waiting on my replacement cowl.... John at TBM did tell me that their order is running late but they should have their next container in a few weeks.
OverTheEdge is offline Find More Posts by OverTheEdge
Old 05-24-2009, 10:45 PM
Lakeland, FL
Joined Mar 2009
234 Posts

'Bout time there Over. Great looking airplane!.

Somebody earlier in the thread had asked about the PowerHD 9150MG servos I used. Well my verdict is in and its not too favorable. While they seem like great servos and I haven't had one fail or anything, there is just too much slop in the gear train. On the three inch servo arm for the rudder, there is about an 1/8" or 3/16" of play. I can move the rudder that much at the trailing edge without engaging the gears. I don't think the arm is wallowed out on the spline, there is just that much movement. I can't get the rudder trim right. If I pull vertical, one time it will veer left and the next it will veer right. I ordered a HS-7955TG and an SWB servo arm and will test that servo against the PowerHD. at three times the cost, it better work better.
Old 05-25-2009, 08:52 AM
Kewanee, IL. USA
Joined Jul 2007
244 Posts

I have a 7955tg coming for mine too. I have a 5955tg in my WH 28% Edge540 ib the rudder and have had no issues with it at all. My understanding is that the 7955tg is basically the same servo but will take higher voltage and better resolution.
Old 05-25-2009, 08:54 AM
Kewanee, IL. USA
Joined Jul 2007
244 Posts

Off topic.... Here's a thread I posted concerning batteries. Just FYI for anyone looking to save $ on battery packs.

https://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/...packs-com.html
Old 05-25-2009, 10:28 AM
Lakeland, FL
Joined Mar 2009
234 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheEdge View Post
I have a 7955tg coming for mine too. I have a 5955tg in my WH 28% Edge540 ib the rudder and have had no issues with it at all. My understanding is that the 7955tg is basically the same servo but will take higher voltage and better resolution.
I don't suppose the 2048 resolution of the servo will matter if the receiver and tx don't also process 2048. I think a DX7 with an AR7000 has a resolution of 1024, but the x9303 with the 921rx have a resolution of 2048. Hmmmm... let's see, $500 for new servos and $600 for a new radio. I guess nobody ever said the pursuit of happiness would be cheap.

Nice post on the batteries BTW. Its good to see someone take the time to make positive commentary.
Old 05-25-2009, 08:53 PM
3D1
Find More Posts by 3D1
3D1
Damn Wind
MA
Joined Oct 2008
344 Posts

the new DX7 se has 2048 resolution and is $319.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:52 AM
Lakeland, FL
Joined Mar 2009
234 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3D1 View Post
the new DX7 se has 2048 resolution and is $319.
Yes I saw that on the Spektrum site, but I'll still need a receiver as well. At the minimum an AR7100.
Old 05-26-2009, 01:24 PM
Find More Posts by Pilot013
3D flyier
Denmark, Copenhagen
Joined Nov 2007
88 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmilla View Post
Here's the video. Didn't have time to title it, I'm traveling out of the country for a week in about an hour. Nothing fancy and hopefully not too boring..

YouTube - Pilot-RC Yak 54 DLE-55 Maiden
Hi!

What was your final dry weight?

Best regards!
Pilot013 is offline Find More Posts by Pilot013
Old 05-26-2009, 07:12 PM
Lakeland, FL
Joined Mar 2009
234 Posts

Final dry weight with wheel pants is about 16 lbs 7 oz. I since took off the wheel pants saving a few ounces. I went pretty heavy on the epoxy and am also using a canister. I would think it could weigh 16 lbs or less with a muffler and less epoxy.

Quick Reply