Suspended Account
North Mexico
Joined Jan 2006
21,384 Posts
Re: Syssa 30cc on 72" Extra 330SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5150flyer View Post
50%plane,

I own a Vess 18x6, Xoar 19x8 and a Mejzlik 18x6, all of which could work on this plane. I will say that the 18x6 props may generate too much noise for one of my clubs. Your idea of the Vess 18.5x 5.5 might be the perfect match.

What do you think of my other props? How does the setup sound with the 18.5x5.5?
I liked the 18.5x5.5, but as my engine is getting stronger(about 5 gallons right now) it's becoming to small of a prop.... I'm thinking about trying a 19A.. here's a video from last weekend that should give you an idea of the prop.... stock setup....

Extreme Flight 78" Extra/Syssa 30cc pt 2 (6 min 3 sec)

sorry for the bad flying... my fingers got to cold and stiff a couple minutes into the flight...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spdstr280Z View Post
Not Fiddy, but I know that the 18.5 X 5.5 Vess was developed by Todd Syssa and Robert Vess as the perfect 3D prop for this engine.....
yep
50%plane is offline Find More Posts by 50%plane
Quick reply to this message (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old 01-07-2011, 06:52 PM
Find More Posts by 5150flyer
Avoiding Fake News
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Mar 2007
1,753 Posts

Is your Syssa on a pipe? It flies that plane better than I would have expected. I love how you walk around the plane while it is hovering. Nice touch!

Here in the great north wet, it will be a few more weeks before I fly anything other than a foamie.
5150flyer is offline Find More Posts by 5150flyer
Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2011, 07:04 PM
Find More Posts by 50%plane
Suspended Account
North Mexico
Joined Jan 2006
21,384 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5150flyer View Post
Is your Syssa on a pipe? It flies that plane better than I would have expected. I love how you walk around the plane while it is hovering. Nice touch!

Here in the great north wet, it will be a few more weeks before I fly anything other than a foamie.
lol, no it's the stock muffler... the engine has about 5 gallons through it. The plane weighs 12 pounds(dry), and I could have taken another 4-6 ounces out of it with a lighter setup.... I broke the engine in on regular ole break-in oil, then after it started to gain power, I switched over to Royal Purple(50:1) I never run an engine on a stand, either.. seems to do very well for me... the first gallon, the engine was fairly weak.. could barely hover.. I was thinking that I would end up having to get the pipe, but as time went on, the engine just kept getting stronger and stronger... In the video, it could just be the weather, but the performance is nice on the plane, in my opinion...

As for the walk-around, lol, usually it's a lot cleaner, but I couldn't feel my fingers, and there was a nasty crosswind, so I had to cut it short... When the weather warms up a little more, I will try to get a better video...
Old 01-07-2011, 09:02 PM
Find More Posts by EXTREME FLIGHT
EXTREME FLIGHT CEO
Cumming, Georgia
Joined Jan 2006
1,375 Posts

Nice flying 50!
EXTREME FLIGHT is offline Find More Posts by EXTREME FLIGHT
Old 01-07-2011, 09:05 PM
Find More Posts by 50%plane
Suspended Account
North Mexico
Joined Jan 2006
21,384 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXTREME FLIGHT View Post
Nice flying 50!
lol, thanks... It's a bit more powerful then when you saw it at the Nall last year.. lol (that and has a good throttle servo now)

I'll try to get better video when it warms up a bit...(I'm a wuss)
Old 01-19-2011, 10:06 PM
Avoiding Fake News
Joined Mar 2007
1,753 Posts

Do you guys use the stock wheels on this plane? They seem a bit small and narrow. I usually fly on hard runways. However, I don't want to over stress the gear when flying off grass.

BTW.. with the Syssa up front and the rudder servo in the back, the plane's CG is in the 3D zone. I moved my battery forward and put on a heavier spinner for the maiden. That gets the CG in the precision CG area.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:13 AM
Find More Posts by ryan_m
Uh Oh...
United States, AR, North Little Rock
Joined Nov 2007
85 Posts

Stock wheels for me, on a grass runway. Pretty smooth grass, but grass.
ryan_m is offline Find More Posts by ryan_m
Old 02-17-2011, 06:33 PM
Find More Posts by tsyssa
Syssa Aircraft Performance
Meriden, CT, USA
Joined May 2007
21 Posts

Nice flying 50%. Is cold there 55 degrees? LOL

The 18.5 works very well on the stock muffler and also on the pipe for 3D.

We finally hit over 50 today...and possibly 60 tomorrow...but there is about 2 feet of snow still on the ground even though quite a bit already melted. Next week back to "normal".
tsyssa is offline Find More Posts by tsyssa
Old 02-17-2011, 06:46 PM
Find More Posts by ghoffman
United States, FL, Jupiter
Joined Nov 2009
11,566 Posts

Todd, how is the 60cc twin coming?
ghoffman is offline Find More Posts by ghoffman
Old 02-20-2011, 11:52 AM
Find More Posts by Chris Todd
Suspended Account
United States
Joined Dec 2007
1,508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsyssa View Post
Nice flying 50%. Is cold there 55 degrees? LOL

The 18.5 works very well on the stock muffler and also on the pipe for 3D.

We finally hit over 50 today...and possibly 60 tomorrow...but there is about 2 feet of snow still on the ground even though quite a bit already melted. Next week back to "normal".
Thanks!
Does "normal" mean you will have a 60cc and 175cc ready for me to purchase soon..??

Chris Todd is offline Find More Posts by Chris Todd
Old 04-13-2011, 07:18 AM
Find More Posts by Brownie433
Joined Oct 2009
13 Posts
Any updates? Very interested in this thread. I just finished the same bird and agonized over this engine or the DLE. I went with the DLE but am very interested in the engine still.

Brownie
Brownie433 is offline Find More Posts by Brownie433
Old 04-14-2011, 10:00 AM
Avoiding Fake News
Joined Mar 2007
1,753 Posts
The Syssa is the best out of the box running gas engine, I have even seen or owned. Starting is a non-event and the idle is suprisingly good. RPM's with Vess is a bit low, but I expect it to increase with time in the air. I am breaking in with 40:1 Redline. Syssa's IBEC seems to work fine.

I cannot remember worse spring weather. One cold front after another is coming through my area. When I get a break this bird is going in the air.

I can post more pictures if someone needs a bit more detail.
Last edited by 5150flyer; 04-14-2011 at 01:42 PM.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:01 PM
Find More Posts by tsyssa
Syssa Aircraft Performance
Meriden, CT, USA
Joined May 2007
21 Posts
It's best to run the engine in with 40:1 Lawn Boy Ashless. You will notice compression and power come up for a while.
The synthetic will take quite a while!!!

Thanks!
Todd
tsyssa is offline Find More Posts by tsyssa
Old 04-22-2011, 01:21 PM
Avoiding Fake News
Joined Mar 2007
1,753 Posts
I got the opportunity to maiden the 330 yesterday and want to give you my impressions of the plane and engine. Temperature was 47 degrees, wind 7 to 16 mph with a significant crosswind and turbulence up top. While I got four flights, the conditions were not conducive to trimming and fine tuning.

I spent more time than usual range checking with the engine on and off. I wanted complete confidence in the Syssa IBEC before I got in the air. Range checks were normal using the JR 921 and two satellites with my JR 9503. The Syssa started fine and I had a reliable idle of 2200 RPM – not bad for a new engine. Take off was short and a bit challenging due to the wind. Two clicks of up elevator and I was flying straight and level. The plane has a light wing loading and was getting tossed, so I just flew around and gave the Syssa a nice gentle break in. After 12 minutes, I setup for my landing and was a bit worried about getting it down in the worsening crosswind. Much to my surprise the landing was uneventful. It lands like a 50cc plane.

Flights 3 to 4 included a bit of acro, slow flight, short vertical climbs and engine tests. The Syssa ran better with every flight and never hesitated even after a power up after a long idle. By flight 3, I could have comfortably done touch and goes with this engine. The plane got tossed around more than my AW 50cc Yak would have in the same conditions. Landings were uneventful especially considering the conditions. One time I dragged it in starting a foot off the ground. I couldn’t get a wing to drop, but it did finally drop when 3” off the ground. I had to push it to get it to stall. I did some basic acro and when the plane wasn’t getting hammered by the wind it tracked nicely, no 3D was attempted.

By the end the Syssa was reliably idling at 2000 rpm. It has plenty of power for this light airframe and the throttle transition was fine for such a new engine. With a Vess 18x6 and the muffler sound limiting inserts installed the plane was reasonably quiet. The pattern and electric guys aren’t going to give me any complements, but it is significantly quieter than a DLE with a stock muffler with any prop. My 16 oz. tank can handle a 20 minute flight as this engine sips fuel. The Syssa IBEC worked as advertised. The engine needs more run time, but I am inclined to think it will only get better. I ran some dino oil through it in the garage while setting the needles, but now using Redline 45:1. If the ring break in takes longer that is fine with me.

• My limited time doing acro indicates that it will fly like a 50cc plane.
  • CG and throw recommendations in the manual work great.
  • Syssa was reliable and easy starting as soon as I set the needles.
  • Syssa stock muffler works and looks good.
  • Syssa IBEC just worked – no issues.
  • Syssa has plenty of power for this light plane.

Dislikes:
  • Wheel pants are sized for a 50cc plane, not even close to scale.*
  • Wheel pants too flimsy for a gas plane or a grass runway.*
  • Lost some of the fiberglass on one of the wheel pants after the fourth flight.*
  • Included wheels are too small for a grass runway.
  • The 3DHS 330 would not be my first choice on a windy day.
  • I wish the Syssa muffler system was a bit quieter.
  • Getting the wing bolts installed is a PIA. I am going to find some bolts that can be installed with an allen wrench.
*I am almost wondering if I got shipped the wrong wheel pants.

Next time I fly with more reasonable weather, I will give you an update on acro and 3D.
Last edited by 5150flyer; 04-22-2011 at 01:36 PM.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:38 PM
Avoiding Fake News
Joined Mar 2007
1,753 Posts
Today was the day to finish this mini-review. Wind was down the runway at 8 mph and 55 degrees. I was able to really test the engine and plane in acro and 3D. I did a very limited break in in the garage with Lawnboy and have since gone with 45:1 Redline. I have learned that the Syssa needs break in time and possibly more time with Lawnboy. I am now at 10 long flights. The engine continues to run better, the CG is good and my throws/expo are good to go. So here is a list of what I found after an additional six flights today:

Syssa 30cc:
  • Vess 18 x 6 at 8450 rpm's after 10 flights
  • Idle and starting are good and getting better/smoother
  • Sips fuel, 16 oz tank will last 20 minutes of hard flying
  • Dead sticked when I went vertical and got aggressive - needs more time in the air
  • Reliable enough to do touch and goes
  • Engine has a tendency to backfire on start - use a chicken stick! Never happened with my DA50's after dozens of starts.
  • About 95 db at 3 meters with the Syssa sound reducing inserts

Extra 330sc:
  • A complete joy to land
  • Flies IMAC like a 50cc plane in calm wind
  • Makes 3D easy, even with my new engine I can 3D this thing like my old foamie
  • Wheel pants are not up to the job, both now have cracks
  • Doesn't handle wind as well as a 50cc plane
  • Slow flight is nice
  • Slows better than expected on down lines
  • Tail wheel seems soft and not that responsive especially when windy
  • Did I mention this plane is great on landing - I could just do touch and goes and have a ball with the 330sc.

I can honestly say I now understand why FG has so many 3DHS fanatics. This plane flies 3D exceptionally well and makes landing - well just an opportunity to show off The Syssa seems great, but it needs to build power and reliability as I get more fuel through it for me to be 100% sold. I pushed it hard today so I could conclude this review and it bucked back with dead sticks. It appears to be solid as long as I don't go hard vertical.

I can recommend this combination from what I know. My next plane with probably be one of the 3DHS 50cc planes. But how I will get it in the back of my pickup and will my DA50 be enough power? Well that will be a subject for my next review.

Hope this was helpful, let me know either way.
Last edited by 5150flyer; 05-06-2011 at 11:44 AM.

Quick Reply