logo
Old 04-29-2012, 06:33 AM
Find More Posts by loop an roll
United States, MI, Waterford Charter Township
Joined Jan 2006
207 Posts
cutnmetal can i bring mine over looks good could I see some video.Have ready to start going with a OS 33
loop an roll is offline Find More Posts by loop an roll
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 04-29-2012, 10:28 AM
Find More Posts by cutnmetal
"ALTITUDE" It's a good thing!
United States, OK, Mustang
Joined Aug 2009
13 Posts
I have a DLE 30 on mine and it is a great combo. No crazy 3-d stuff but it pulls it around great. Take offs at 1/3 throttle for scale or full power for S.T.O.L. lol. I was able to put the first flight on this morning before the rain hit but did not have enough time for video or pics yet. I will try to get some video in a few days when the weather calms down a bit. I must say though, this is a great flying plane and it came in right at 15.5 lbs. with the DLE 30. With the ignition and a 6v 1400mha nicd right on the firewall, it required no ballast. I am using a 6v 2400 mha nicd for the Rx and I placed the Rx battery and Rx just in front of the rudder servo. It is just far enough foward of the rudder servo to allow full movement of the servo arm. I found the COG at 4.75" back from the leading edge which is about 29% of the cord. I still need to cut and mount the cowl. I left it off for the maiden so that I could adjust the engine.
cutnmetal is offline Find More Posts by cutnmetal
Old 04-29-2012, 07:35 PM
Joined Aug 2009
13 Posts
Here is a video. It is short and not that great on quality. Windy too!
Old 04-29-2012, 07:38 PM
Joined Aug 2009
13 Posts
Sorry the site won't let me load mp4. I will have to try to convert it.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:56 PM
Find More Posts by lebowski
little lebowski urban acheiver
United States, CA, Hemet
Joined Sep 2009
368 Posts
Hey Nefarious, what club are you flying this plane at? Im up in N san diego county at Palamar rc flyers. would like to see this plane fly..
lebowski is offline Find More Posts by lebowski
Old 04-29-2012, 08:03 PM
Find More Posts by nefarious
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Dec 2011
101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lebowski View Post
Hey Nefarious, what club are you flying this plane at? Im up in N san diego county at Palamar rc flyers. would like to see this plane fly..
I fly with Miramar RC Flyers. Your more than welcome to come out one day and check it out and fly with us as a guest. I typically fly Sunday mornings fro 8am-noon.

Cutnmetal; glad to hear the maiden went well. This plan really is a pussy cat in the air.
nefarious is offline Find More Posts by nefarious
Old 04-29-2012, 09:20 PM
Find More Posts by lebowski
little lebowski urban acheiver
United States, CA, Hemet
Joined Sep 2009
368 Posts
My friend Arnon and Mike from dw foamies is going to be speaking to your club about organizing a 3d event this year at your field. the powers that be cancelled the event we were supposed to have a week before it was to be held. Where is the field at? Is it on base? I would really like to visit the field and bring my Yak.
lebowski is offline Find More Posts by lebowski
Old 04-29-2012, 09:28 PM
Find More Posts by nefarious
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Dec 2011
101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lebowski View Post
My friend Arnon and Mike from dw foamies is going to be speaking to your club about organizing a 3d event this year at your field. the powers that be cancelled the event we were supposed to have a week before it was to be held. Where is the field at? Is it on base? I would really like to visit the field and bring my Yak.
9021X... Yup, I know all about it. We're actually waiting for Mike to come to one of our club meetings and give the membership a rundown on the event.

It's east of 15, just north of the approach.
nefarious is offline Find More Posts by nefarious
Old 05-05-2012, 08:20 AM
Joined Aug 2009
13 Posts
Ok, who has any ideas on how to rig up some brakes so we can do some true-to-scale S.T.O.L. take-offs? Just sayin
Old 05-31-2012, 01:54 PM
Find More Posts by Low_Cal
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Dec 2009
2,624 Posts
Looks like it may be possible to do a tuned pipe install on this airframe?
Low_Cal is offline Find More Posts by Low_Cal
Old 08-12-2012, 11:20 PM
Find More Posts by kevinf2501
United States, TX, Denton
Joined Apr 2007
863 Posts
I finally sold the Sbach that all the equipment was in for the L4. I also finally took the plane out of the box and all was in great condition. This is my 4th Hempel plane and the smallest however its the same great quality! Way to go Bill.

I did the aileron fix however I used my drill press with a small drill bit and then just drilled out with larger bits. I used a 7/16 dowel that was shaped to match the aileron. I used BVM Qpoxy as its thiptotropic and doesnt run. I used a touch extra to tie the dowel into the structure. I then remeasured the mount point and drilled then for the 8-32 bolt. The H9 nut that goes over the bolt covers the dowel so it looks great once done.

I am going to be using

5955 servos all round including a choke servo
3x 2600mah Fromeco packs (2 for receiver, 1 for ignition)
Smartly power distribution board
DA60 with compact pitts style muffler from JTEC

It looks like the DA60 will mount directly onto the firewall without standoffs. With the DA60 I wont need any ballast weight. I will pot some extra slots into the cowl to cool the motor. Very similar to the way the J3 cub cowl is done.

Hope to have enough time to finish it real soon. I am still deciding if I want to add smoke or not.

Kevin
kevinf2501 is offline Find More Posts by kevinf2501
Old 10-02-2012, 10:49 AM
Find More Posts by jbarnes
United States, CO, Mead
Joined Jan 2007
418 Posts
Got a L4 inbound and was wondering if any of you guys have found a instrument panel that works for this bird? I prefer to finish the inside of my planes and would like to find a pre-made instrument panel if they exist.

Have you guys been having trouble with the landing gear? I've got a Hempel 40% clipped cub and that thin walled aluminum gear has not held up very well for me. Its very easy to bend and if you try to bend it back just a tweek you end up splitting the tubing. Have been wondering about using Robarts cub gear on this L4. I've used their gear on my 1/3rd WM Cub and it was flawless for many years.

Mine will be powered with a new DLE 35RA. Thought I'd give it a try and see if installation is easier with the rear exhaust. I'll use 5645 hitecs on all the surfaces.

Thanks, Jerry.
jbarnes is offline Find More Posts by jbarnes
Old 10-02-2012, 11:56 AM
Find More Posts by toc pilot
Tucson, Az.
Joined Jan 2006
2,067 Posts
I have new STEEL Cub gears coming soon!!!
toc pilot is offline Find More Posts by toc pilot
Old 10-24-2012, 06:41 AM
Find More Posts by GravyGoodness
3D Farmer 4 Life
United States, NC, Elm City
Joined Jun 2010
1,328 Posts
Me thinks I am getting ready to "pull the trigger" on this one.

Anyone done this in electric? I have to keep my birds indoors now and I don't really want to smell gas all the time.
GravyGoodness is offline Find More Posts by GravyGoodness
Old 10-24-2012, 08:30 AM
Find More Posts by mighty9
Joined Sep 2008
1,285 Posts
I lost my hempel clipped wing this weekend to switch failure so i believe this will be my next Hempel plane, I have his 25% decathlon and love it.Gravy 1000 - 1500 watts would work well in this im sure .A good 8 or 10 s setup would fit and balance nice. My clipped wing was mocked up electric so im sure the L4 would be fine. There is a member with a 10 s on floats in the clipped wing. post 221
https://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/...el+cub&page=15
mighty9 is offline Find More Posts by mighty9

Quick Reply