logo
Old 03-02-2007, 09:59 PM
Find More Posts by GPutt33
United States, CO, Windsor
Joined Mar 2006
250 Posts
RC Field Location - GPS Coordinate Database

Hi Guys - I know this is posted above in the Flying Friends thread, but I thought this would be a better place for everyone to see it and use it if they want.

If you haven't seen it above in the other thread, here is a quick explanation.

I started building a database of the actual location of RC Club Field LOCATIONS about 7 years ago. This is not based on the Club contact info and zip codes. I have captured and recorded the coordinates in Latitude/Longitude in Decimal Degrees (NAD83 for those of you need to know that). The database file is nothing more then an Excel file. It has a BUNCH of Club Info in it!! The way I have it set up it can be directly uploaded into programs such as MSN Streets and Trips, which is way cool for planning some awesome RC vacations. New Edit - I now have the entire Excel file ZIPPED, so no more multi downloads to retrieve it all.

This File is located on my NEW RC website located at:
http://gputt33.multiply.com/
(Go to the RC Field Coordinates and Discussion Page)

This File is now also located here on FG's in the File Upload Forum and can be located here:https://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/...-database.html

I have another file in Google Earth that is broken up into three folders, AMA, Non-AMA, and International folders. For those of you who have never used Google Earth it is an awesome program, and it's FREE My file is so large that the Google Map link pretty much just blows up and can only show a very small portion of the total locations at one time. Last count I came up with over 1140 Clubs in the States and over 240 Internationally. Just recently, with the help of some new friends from the Netherlands and from Down Under I have added a bunch of Club Fields from those Countrys. If you want to check this file out click on the following link, read about the history of my project, and then click on the "View In Google Earth" link at the top. If you already have GE loaded it will start your program and load this file. If you don't have GE yet, it will take you to the GE website, and you'll be asked whether you want to load it or not. With this program it's not only got the great sat imagery, but it also has 3D topography as well as the ability to tilt and rotate.

Well if your still reading this, thanks, and here is the Google Earth Link:

http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/showthrea...r/402368/page/

Enjoy and hopefully folks will let me know about their Clubs that I don't have pinned down yet

PS: I also run Magellan GPS's and I can provide both Meridian and Xplorist waypoint files if you'll send me a PM and ask for them. These are broke up into NE, NW, SE, & SW United States files and one International File.
GPutt33 is offline Find More Posts by GPutt33
Last edited by GPutt33; 06-13-2009 at 09:37 PM. Reason: Updated "Dates" for all of the files.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 03-04-2007, 10:26 PM
Joined Mar 2006
250 Posts
Re: RC Field Coordinate Database

I just wanted to say a quick THANK YOU to all the guys and gal who sent me PM's this weekend with cooridinates, maps, and written directions to some RC Club locations that I didn't have yet. I'll get them posted and/or find the coordinates and get them in the files this week. I guess it was kind of weird that now one replied to the thread itself, but I really appreciated the personal touches some of you provided such as club field info, web links, stories and pictures.

Please keep them coming and I hope you all can enjoy the files and use them to some good use as I intended.

Thanks again,
Gregg
Old 03-04-2007, 11:54 PM
Find More Posts by ElfinSailor
Ams What I Ams
Umatilla, Oregon
Joined Jan 2007
51 Posts

Hello Gregg,
I have been into model aircraft since I was eight years old. The last club I was affiliated with was the Peninsula Airo-Modelers. They maintained a field in Half Moon Bay California. Five years ago I moved to a small ranch in north east Oregon. The property was once the head quarters for Georgia Pacific Logging in this area. They put in a runway so executives could fly in and out. The also used it as a base for helicopter logging. I have paved a twenty by three hundred and fifty foot strip to function as a RC landing strip.

I am seeking to extend an invitation to RC pilots to come visit and fly in a paradise environment. I am located on the North fork of the John Day River sixty miles south of Pendleton just off highway 395. I have photos posted in the new to the giants postings under the thread titled Please Come and Fly in Paradise.

If you are interested in adding my facility to your listing please do git in touch with me. Michael
ElfinSailor is offline Find More Posts by ElfinSailor
Old 03-06-2007, 10:30 AM
Joined Mar 2006
250 Posts

Hello Michael - I'd Love to add your Runway location to my files I sent you a PM as well, just need some pretty specific directions from you to find it. I'm afraid the Google Earth/Map imagery for the part of the country is not the high resolution stuff yet, but I might be able to use some of the old TerraServer imagery to find it since that location sounds like it's been there for awhile. Thanks and if I ever get out into that part of the country in our travels I'll be looking you up Likewise, if your ever your ever out tooling around in the NE corner of WY, let me know and I'll get you on the sticks out at our field !!

Later
Gregg
Old 03-06-2007, 11:40 AM
Find More Posts by karlwatt
Boise, ID
Joined Jan 2006
368 Posts

I don't see BARKS (Boise Area Radio Control Society) on your map. Go to www.BARKS.us. I will send you the coordinates. Have you attempted to get coordinates from the AMA? They ask for them from registered clubs, and I know we have sent them ours.
karlwatt is offline Find More Posts by karlwatt
Old 03-06-2007, 02:19 PM
Find More Posts by Roger Russell
Jacksonville, Illinois
Joined Jan 2006
475 Posts

Gregg:
I have followed this thread from the beggining. (and on otherforums.)
I think this is great and have downloaded and use it quit a bit as I travel to IMAC contests and to Open Houses all the time and use this to get directions.

I even sent you our local filed coordinates (another forum) and you have that listed.

I have since sent the site to others and they think the same about how nice it is.

I mainly use the GOOGLE EARTH, depending on the clarity, you can ZOOM in rather close and see the field, etc.................

Thanks for all you have done.

PS:
I have taken my file and have changed the color of the planes to RED for all the fields I have flown at.
Suprized at how many I have been to

Roger
Roger Russell is offline Find More Posts by Roger Russell
Old 03-06-2007, 03:59 PM
Joined Mar 2006
250 Posts

Hi Guys - Thanks for compliments and it makes me real happy to see folks using it.

Karl - I opened the club website and used the map to zoom in on Google Earth to find the club and I have a plane on the field already, and I double checked my Excel file and it happens to be in there as well. Not sure what to tell you about it not being on your download. I checked the date I entered it and it defaults back to 2004. Thanks for checking and offering to help though.

As far as the AMA is concerned - No, I haven't asked for any of their data. Actually I talked and e-mailed back and forth a couple of times last year (or two) and offered to volunteer to help out with the coordinates. You really need to be familiar with all of the different coordinate formats and projections in order to use them usefully and to be able to verify what you get is actually the Club Location. Long story short, I was turned down and told me they might get ahold of me in the future but that they were handling it internally so far. When I asked about why the coordinates weren't posted they said they were discussing it because some clubs don't want their 'where abouts' known I guess (ONLY A VERY FEW). I think that's kind of a lame excuse since anybody can do what I do and find them by searching websites and using programs such as Google Earth. OK, Off the Soap Box, sorry........... I guess the closest I've gotten has been to be able to piggy back my data onto the back of Bill Lee's Dist VIII Club Locator.

Roger - Glad to hear your spreading the word I hadn't thought about color coding the different clubs in the way that you have. I might have to go back and think about that. I use it when traveling as well for both business and vacation. It's really fun to show up at some field locations out in the middle of no where and have the guys ask you "How the heck did you ever find us" I always explain and have yet to be kicked out Thanks for understanding my addiction to RC guys.
Old 03-21-2007, 11:01 PM
Joined Mar 2006
250 Posts

Hi Folks - I have added a BUNCH of RC Clubs to the Excel Files and the GE File for Australia with the help of a couple of new friends from "Down Under". I have also added a link a file in the GE (Google Earth) created by a fellow RC Pilot from Germany who has mapped out around 350 RC Clubs in Germany. The Clubs added to the States has also increased, but only by about a dozen or so lately. Still looking for some more help in that respect

Thanks
Gregg P
Old 06-13-2007, 03:43 PM
Joined Mar 2006
250 Posts

Time for a quick update of the database. I've now got almost all of the Clubs from AMA Dist VIII located. Also added a bunch to the International Folder, mostly in Germany, Belgium, and a smattering or others around the world.

One loss was the use of Bill Lee's AMA Club Locator tool. He is no longer D-8's webmaster, and so due to his software being trademarked he had to take it with him when he left.
Old 09-13-2007, 10:24 PM
Joined Mar 2006
250 Posts

Hello All - It's been quite awhile since I've posted anything about the Google Earth RC File so I just thought I'd let you all know that with your help it just passed the 5000 mark for times being downloaded. Since I started this little project the GE imagery continues to be added to and improved. I also have the full blown Excel file which is what I consider the master file that I copy out of to create the GE file.

Here is the link again, and if you look at the title you'll notice it now says over 2000 RC Clubs found and located. http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/showthrea...r/402368/page/

If anyone wants the whole Excel file in one shot just shoot me a PM with your email address and I'll attach it in a reply.

Now here is something cool I've been helping with. They used one of the Ikonus sats to take new imagery of the area Steve Fosset has disappeared in. By making this imagery available on Google Earth and another software tool we have been able to help in the SAR effort to find him by doing grid searches from any where in the world. The GE imagery has helped provide many legitimate leads and are responible for some of the old crash sites your hearing about. Hope we can all help in some way and only wish the best for Steve and his family.
Old 09-14-2007, 10:48 PM
Joined Mar 2006
250 Posts

Let's see if anyone likes this new little twist?? I was down in the File Upload/Download Forum, and finally realized that one of the file formats that you can use is a ZIP file. I have made a ZIP file of my whole master Excel RC Coordinate file and posted it there. If anyone would like to download the whole thing at one time rather then by AMA Dist as seen on my MSN website it should now be able to be done. If someone would like to try downloading the ZIP file and then extracting the Excel file it would be nice if you could post or PM me if it was succesful. If this turns out to be a as popular of file as the Google Earth file is I will just start updating the Excel file here for everyone. To really appreciatate what all is in this file I guess you've just got to try it. The one thing right off, even if you don't have a need for the coordinates, is what I think is the most complete RC Club list of live Club websites there probably is.

Anyhow, here is the the FG's link to the file - https://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/...tml#post300602

New RC Coordinate Zip File uploaded on - Sept.22nd, 2007

Let me know what you think. If you all like it maybe I can get Max to sticky note the file somewhere easier to find.

Later
GPutt33
Last edited by GPutt33; 09-22-2007 at 10:39 PM. Reason: Uploaded new RC Coordinate Zip File - see link
Old 11-14-2007, 09:38 PM
Joined Mar 2006
250 Posts

New RC Coordinate Zip File uploaded on - NOVEMBER 14TH, 2007

I guess one other thing is we are right at the start of a transfer with the Company, so it may be awhile before I get a chance to add any new Fields and update the files. Will catch up when I get things set back up.

Old 11-14-2007, 09:53 PM
Find More Posts by Bob S
Austin, TX, USA
Joined Jan 2006
284 Posts

Thanks for all of your work on this, Gregg. This database is a very nice asset to the community!
Bob S is offline Find More Posts by Bob S
Old 11-14-2007, 10:04 PM
Find More Posts by Roger Russell
Jacksonville, Illinois
Joined Jan 2006
475 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob S View Post
Thanks for all of your work on this, Gregg. This database is a very nice asset to the community!
DITTO
Roger Russell is offline Find More Posts by Roger Russell
Old 11-14-2007, 10:11 PM
Joined Mar 2006
250 Posts

Everyone is more then welcome and thank you for the compliment. I just keep adding it to it seems like 1 to 3 fields a week average it seems like. Mostly with the help of my fellow pilots out there who notice they haven't had the stick pin put in the map for their field yet Just keep'em coming guys. The Google Earth file also continues to be a popular one, it has averaged 13 downloads a day for the 562 days I've had it posted (Yea, now that is being a geek).

Later, and I hope you find a new Field to visit or fly at using the data

Quick Reply