dick hanson is offline Find More Posts by dick hanson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 12-23-2013, 12:10 AM
Find More Posts by ajay1
Mumbai---India
Joined Jun 2007
39 Posts
Awaiting the software update on my DX 18 QQ which will enable to increase servo travel for TRIM ---
I assign the throttle trim to the Left Lever and require about 35% of Stck Travel volume to be moved by the Left Lever in full up position.
ajay1 is offline Find More Posts by ajay1
Old 12-25-2013, 11:56 AM
Find More Posts by S Mullis
Fly Low and Dirty
Monterey,Tennessee
Joined May 2007
406 Posts
DX-18 owners, Here is a new one. Has anyone had there RF light just pop on by itself? I thought it was a reflection of the sun but it is not. The rf light is orange and will not shut off unless I unhook the battery.I plug the battery in and the RF light comes on again. Battery is at 8.0 volts when this happened. So now I am charging the battery and I see the blue light and as the blue disappears the orange light becomes more dominate. While I am at my family's X-Mas dinner today I will unplug the battery and when I get back home I will plug it in again and see if the light goes out. If not then it is back to HH for some fixin. All my planes work ok when powered on and cannot do a rnge check now because of weather. Thanks, Steve Mullis
S Mullis is offline Find More Posts by S Mullis
Old 12-25-2013, 08:30 PM
Fly Low and Dirty
Monterey,Tennessee
Joined May 2007
406 Posts
DX-18 Owners, Well I think I figured out the orange light problem coming on and staying on. Even though my transmitter screen said 8.0 volts the mah's must have been to low. The battery must have been just about to go dead. I just put it on the charger till no more blue light and now the orange light goes out. So I don't know what to say except keep an eye on your voltage screen but be careful and do not trust it. Make sure you put a good charge on the transmitter before flying.
It might say 8.0 volts but in reality your milliamps might be low. This has taught me a good lesson on battery charging. I had not charged my battery in over 3 months and it still loses power. Thanks, Steve Mullis
Old 12-25-2013, 08:35 PM
Find More Posts by PropsnWings
AMA LM CD IP
Joined Jul 2011
4,385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by S Mullis View Post
DX-18 Owners, Well I think I figured out the orange light problem coming on and staying on. Even though my transmitter screen said 8.0 volts the mah's must have been to low. The battery must have been just about to go dead. I just put it on the charger till no more blue light and now the orange light goes out. So I don't know what to say except keep an eye on your voltage screen but be careful and do not trust it. Make sure you put a good charge on the transmitter before flying.
It might say 8.0 volts but in reality your milliamps might be low. This has taught me a good lesson on battery charging. I had not charged my battery in over 3 months and it still loses power. Thanks, Steve Mullis
Have you done any checking on the Lipo? such as per cell voltage or resistance? I am curious if you have a pack that might be ready to fail.

Mine has been ran down and past the voltage alarm many times, but never gave any issues. I also have a spare, for when I need it.
PropsnWings is offline Find More Posts by PropsnWings
Old 12-25-2013, 10:06 PM
Find More Posts by KEITH RUSH
KEITH RUSH
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Mar 2006
605 Posts
Does anyone have a good source for longer sticks? I liked the longer ones that you could get for the 10X, but haven't been able to find some similar to that for the DX-18.

Thanks,

Keith
KEITH RUSH is offline Find More Posts by KEITH RUSH
Old 12-26-2013, 12:02 AM
Find More Posts by dooinit
I am bad-ass
United States, MT, Kalispell
Joined Jul 2010
2,134 Posts
I am pretty sure spektrum makes longer sticks that you can get from horizon.
dooinit is offline Find More Posts by dooinit
Old 12-26-2013, 08:03 AM
Find More Posts by wfield0455
United States, MA, Holliston
Joined Oct 2007
3,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by S Mullis View Post
Pretty much everything in your post tells me that there is something wrong with your DX18 or it's battery. If you honestly believe that the battery was very low and the DX18 was displaying your transmitter voltage as 8.0V, send it in. If you believe that even without much use, your transmitter battery is self-discharging, there is something wrong. Send it in and get these issues resolved.

I've charged my DX18 approximately 4 times in the past year and the display on the transmitter has always been an excellent indicator of the state of charge. If I couldn't trust a function like that to indicate that I need to recharge, I would consider that transmitter to be completely unreliable and I wouldn't consider flying with it until I got that sorted out. Do your self a favor and don't over look this problem and simply recharge before each flying session, send it in and get it sorted out. It's trying very hard to tell you that something bad is happening...
wfield0455 is offline Find More Posts by wfield0455
Old 12-26-2013, 10:38 AM
Fly Low and Dirty
Monterey,Tennessee
Joined May 2007
406 Posts
wfield0455, Thanks for the advice. I am going to buy a extra battery for this transmitter. In the meantime I am going to turn on the transmitter and keep an eye on the voltage. Play with the sticks set up programs etc. I am going to let the voltage drop to the warning level then recharge and see what happens. I am curious to see if the voltage drops below 8.0 volts. I will keep you all posted on my results. Thanks for your help, Steve Mullis
Old 12-30-2013, 09:17 PM
Find More Posts by nlebell
United States, OK, Oklahoma City
Joined Nov 2012
1,142 Posts
My flight timer is set at 10 minutes and when the time is reached it starts counting up with no audible tone....? How do I fix this? Thanks
nlebell is offline Find More Posts by nlebell
Old 12-31-2013, 03:08 AM
Find More Posts by nlebell
United States, OK, Oklahoma City
Joined Nov 2012
1,142 Posts
I figured it out, my tone was in inhibit.. I switched it to active and it works.
nlebell is offline Find More Posts by nlebell
Old 12-31-2013, 07:51 AM
Find More Posts by Muttdog
United States, GA, Canton
Joined Feb 2013
2,826 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlebell View Post
I figured it out, my tone was in inhibit.. I switched it to active and it works.
You can also go with tone/vibrate. That is how mine alerts me
Muttdog is offline Find More Posts by Muttdog
Old 01-08-2014, 04:26 PM
Find More Posts by Low_Cal
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Dec 2009
2,624 Posts
I use tone for timer, and vibrate for low motor voltage on electric planes. That way, I know without looking whether I'm out of time, or out of battery!
Low_Cal is offline Find More Posts by Low_Cal
Old 01-21-2014, 03:03 PM
Find More Posts by helicanic
Flying Low
United States, SC, Easley
Joined Sep 2013
185 Posts
DX 18 Buddy Box problems

First thing is I really enjoy my DX-18 tx! Great radio! I have only found one issue so far that has me stumped. I am having some issues using the dx 18 as a master/slave for training (buddy box). I am curious if anyone else has duplicated my issue below? Any help would be greatly appreciated, and tanks in advance.

Ok, here is my setup;
DX-18 master radio set up for dual aileron
DX-18 Slave radio (have tried with DX-8 as well) also set up for dual aileron
AR 7610 receiver.
Channel Mapping:
Thro=Throttle
Aile= Right Aileron
Elev= Elevator
Rud= Rudder
gear=not used
Aux1=Left Aileron
Aux2=not used

The problem: When control is given to the slave radio (pilot link Master) the left aileron moves from its center position to a low position, when control is taken away from the slave radio the aileron returns to its center. This problem only occurs when using dual aileron programming, it works fine if a Y-cord is used to channel Aile for both ailerons.

Has anyone figured out the solution for this?

Disclaimer:
Please do not turn this into a brand war, keep it relevant to the issue. Thank you!
helicanic is offline Find More Posts by helicanic
Old 01-21-2014, 03:12 PM
Find More Posts by jhelber08
United States, TX, Richmond
Joined Aug 2013
995 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by helicanic View Post
First thing is I really enjoy my DX-18 tx! Great radio! I have only found one issue so far that has me stumped. I am having some issues using the dx 18 as a master/slave for training (buddy box). I am curious if anyone else has duplicated my issue below? Any help would be greatly appreciated, and tanks in advance.

Ok, here is my setup;
DX-18 master radio set up for dual aileron
DX-18 Slave radio (have tried with DX-8 as well) also set up for dual aileron
AR 7610 receiver.
Channel Mapping:
Thro=Throttle
Aile= Right Aileron
Elev= Elevator
Rud= Rudder
gear=not used
Aux1=Left Aileron
Aux2=not used

The problem: When control is given to the slave radio (pilot link Master) the left aileron moves from its center position to a low position, when control is taken away from the slave radio the aileron returns to its center. This problem only occurs when using dual aileron programming, it works fine if a Y-cord is used to channel Aile for both ailerons.

Has anyone figured out the solution for this?

Disclaimer:
Please do not turn this into a brand war, keep it relevant to the issue. Thank you!
Stupid question but is there any subtrim involved?
jhelber08 is offline Find More Posts by jhelber08

Quick Reply