Welcome to The FlyingGiants! - please login or click this bar to join our community...

Welcome to The FlyingGiants Community! We're all about fun, and inside you'll find the greatest, friendliest, and most helpful group of people around! If this is your first time visiting, please check out site, and click here to sign up! We hope to see you soon!!

Go Back   FlyingGiants > Technology > Onboard Electronics
Forgot your password? Create a new account

Old 10-24-2012, 12:43 PM   #31
TimBle
Bad-ass Super Contributor!

I'm not too concerned with the weight or the cost - good batteries are worth it. However, I would like reassurance that I will get 5yrs from my pack. Whats the warranty like on the A123 packs you market?
TimBle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:56 PM   #32
Hangtimes
Flyin' Around

All my packs have a 1 year Workmanship/Materials warranty... (everybody else in this business is 90 days) It's impossible to warrant capacity on any system over time; far to much depends on application circumstances outside my control and how the user takes care of his system. OTOH, the Rx A123's I put in service on my own birds are now over 4 years old; all still running at or near original numbers. I'm not the best example.. I don't fly as much as I used to. About 4 years ago Mac Hodges equipped his B29 with 12 of my 2300 A123's.. no issues and still running strong after 3+ seasons of demanding (understatement) Air Show Demo work. Dr. Keith Shaw uses 'em in his giant scale electrics.. new cells went to him a few months back, replacing very high current demand EP pack setups that were more than 5 years old... It's apparent A123's claims of over a 1000 cycles has merit & the calendar doesn't seem to affect them much.

http://www.hangtimes.com/a123_batter...iants_faq.html

Cheers!
Hangtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 03:01 PM   #33
flatspinjim

I have two sets of genuine A123's with four seasons on them, still going strong. I fly 4 or 5 times a week and always balance charge them.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:29 AM   #34
Robotech

I'm on my third year and probably 400 cycles on my first set of NOBS A123s. They are as strong as the first day I got them. There is no substitute for quality.
Robotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:23 PM   #35
Brutimus
on a vacation

For Ben, the OP- I just got one of these little lifepo4 flat packs. I got it used in an airplane I bought- it's a 1300 mah pack, and after cycling it a couple times I got 1000 mah discharging to 2.8v at one amp.

This battery, with nothing but a jr connector single-handedly flew a 50cc plane with 5 high torque servo's and didn't brown out the parkflyer RX he had in there.
Brutimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:17 PM   #36
RCToon
Uber Contributor

Quote: Originally Posted by mchadwick63
View Post
I use redline
+1!
Redline Kart oil which is the same as Redline 2stroke
RCToon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:45 PM   #37
5150flyer
Uber Contributor

NOBS = good stuff
Old 02-02-2013, 07:54 PM   #38
Robotech

Quote: Originally Posted by 5150flyer
View Post
NOBS = good stuff
I've got to say that I have genuine A123 packs from three different popular (here on FG) vendors and the oldest packs, from NOBS, are almost four years old and still rock and roll.
Robotech is offline   Reply With Quote