Old 10-28-2012, 04:04 PM
Find More Posts by sukhoi26mx
Scott Stoops
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Feb 2006
729 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubdriver View Post
Hey guys Ive did a little basic aerobatics I used to have a citabria but I never really trusted it with anything but rolls and loops. Where would be a good place to take some lessons in a modern hi performance aircraft. On the west coast preferably
Sean Tucker's place is a great experience from what I've heard, but a bit pricey.

http://www.tutimaacademy.com/#/

There are a lot of good schools up and down the west coast. I would recommend joining the IAC/EAA and looking around a bit. There are likely good deals to be had, but I'd shoot for flying with better instructors over lower cost, FWIW.

Scott
sukhoi26mx is offline Find More Posts by sukhoi26mx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 10-28-2012, 04:05 PM
Scott Stoops
Joined Feb 2006
729 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistolera View Post
Amen .

How ya been Scott?

Earle
Hey Earle! Super busy. My life is no longer my own. Seems the kids have taken priority of late! How about you? Keeping busy?

Scott
Old 10-28-2012, 04:37 PM
Find More Posts by sherman89
Ocala Fl
Joined Feb 2007
2,988 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhoi26mx View Post
I, too, would put my money on Cubdriver any day!

I was just offering my opinion, which fortunately I still get to do. There are likely a lot of other pilots reading this, and I'd hate for us less skilled (clearly me) or less experienced pilots to assume that flying overloaded airplanes was promoted as being an accepted part of the "game" by everyone. It is unfortunate that this attitude is as pervasive as it is. There are a lot of really cool airplanes and great pilots lost each year due to it.

Clearly you don't know me if you think I was lecturing. I've done some pretty stupid things in my time flying airplanes, and have tried to learn from it. This isn't about being able to handle "what can go wrong", but rather deciding to avoid starting with a deck that is heavily stacked against you.

Look, I've lost a total of 17 friends to airplane accidents. I'm glad you survived. Many, many, many pilots weren't either as skilled as you or they simply weren't as lucky. In my opinion, mission does not come ahead of safety in non-military or non-life saving flights. I refuse to believe that me taking an unnecessary risk that ends poorly is doing anyone any good.

When I was a kid growing up, my Dad made it all crystal clear. The job, he said (which I still agree with 100%), is risk management. From my perspective, some are acceptable (lowest risk being not going at all), and some are not. I, personally, am not willing to die today by taking an unnecessary risk with a particularly large downside and little upside reward. Does that make me somehow "less" of a pilot than you? Perhaps, but perhaps not.

On the whole airline vs. GA, vs. military thing... it is all baloney. There are both outstanding and weak pilots each of those groups. Personally, some of the best stick and rudder pilots I've ever flown with look incredibly inexperienced on paper, but can fly circles around the 30K+ hour pilots I fly with at work. On that point, I think we would agree.

Scott
Scott, well said!!!!! Your Dad is a very smart man, I don't claim to be any smarter or more experienced but I have made it to retirement and now the younger group is carrying the load. I do have my daughter carrying the legacy in the Air Force.
sherman89 is offline Find More Posts by sherman89
Old 10-28-2012, 05:46 PM
Scott Stoops
Joined Feb 2006
729 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman89 View Post
Scott, well said!!!!! Your Dad is a very smart man, I don't claim to be any smarter or more experienced but I have made it to retirement and now the younger group is carrying the load. I do have my daughter carrying the legacy in the Air Force.
I love the fact that you're very proud of your daughter, as you should be! Tailwinds and clear skies to the both of you. I hope to someday be able to say the same about my retirement and the success of my children, whichever path they choose.

Scott
Old 10-28-2012, 06:25 PM
Find More Posts by Glyder
United States, OH, Canton
Joined Sep 2011
873 Posts
instead of a pissin match about who can outfly who how about tellin some of us unworthy rc pilots what all those abbreviations ,you guys use when talking about yor rating, stand for so we know what the %##%*/* youre talkin about?
Glyder is offline Find More Posts by Glyder
Old 10-28-2012, 06:30 PM
Find More Posts by Dan767
That's at least a 9
United States, WA, Federal Way
Joined Jan 2006
2,854 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glyder View Post
instead of a pissin match about who can outfly who how about tellin some of us unworthy rc pilots what all those abbreviations ,you guys use when talking about yor rating, stand for so we know what the %##%*/* youre talkin about?
ATP- Airline Transport Pilot
CFI- Certified Flight Instructor
CFII-Certified Flight Instructor, Instruments
CML- Commercial Pilot License
SEL- Single Engine Land
MEL- Multi Engine Land
SES- Single Engine Seaplane
MES- Multi Engine Seaplane

A "Type" rating is specific for the aircraft you fly. If you have Type rating in a 727, you can fly all of it's various configurations.

Hope this helps.
Dan767 is offline Find More Posts by Dan767
Last edited by Dan767; 10-28-2012 at 06:55 PM.
Old 10-28-2012, 06:46 PM
Find More Posts by mciaglia
The Woodlands, TX
Joined Jan 2007
480 Posts
When I was getting my license years ago and stared to dabble in aerobatics a wise older pilot once told me...

There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but rarely do you find old bold pilots...be safe"

Words I fly by.
Mark
mciaglia is offline Find More Posts by mciaglia
Old 10-28-2012, 08:51 PM
Find More Posts by Pistolera
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2006
4,242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhoi26mx View Post
Hey Earle! Super busy. My life is no longer my own. Seems the kids have taken priority of late! How about you? Keeping busy?

Scott
Yep....kids take priority....and later grand-kids!!! Still flying our Navion a bit, although have it up for sale. My 3DHS Extra just finished its 3rd season...still flies great, but starting to show some age. Winter project is a 35% Krill Extra 330SC.

Take care!

Earle
Pistolera is offline Find More Posts by Pistolera
Reply With Quote  (Disabled) Quick reply to this message (Disabled)
Old 10-28-2012, 09:36 PM
Find More Posts by Matt Chapman
CAP?? What's that?
Avondale, Pa
Joined Jan 2006
626 Posts
[QUOTE=sukhoi26mx;1842063]I, too, would put my money on Cubdriver any day!

I was just offering my opinion, which fortunately I still get to do. There are likely a lot of other pilots reading this, and I'd hate for us less skilled (clearly me) or less experienced pilots to assume that flying overloaded airplanes was promoted as being an accepted part of the "game" by everyone. It is unfortunate that this attitude is as pervasive as it is. There are a lot of really cool airplanes and great pilots lost each year due to it.

Clearly you don't know me if you think I was lecturing. I've done some pretty stupid things in my time flying airplanes, and have tried to learn from it. This isn't about being able to handle "what can go wrong", but rather deciding to avoid starting with a deck that is heavily stacked against you.

Look, I've lost a total of 17 friends to airplane accidents. I'm glad you survived. Many, many, many pilots weren't either as skilled as you or they simply weren't as lucky. In my opinion, mission does not come ahead of safety in non-military or non-life saving flights. I refuse to believe that me taking an unnecessary risk that ends poorly is doing anyone any good.

When I was a kid growing up, my Dad made it all crystal clear. The job, he said (which I still agree with 100%), is risk management. From my perspective, some are acceptable (lowest risk being not going at all), and some are not. I, personally, am not willing to die today by taking an unnecessary risk with a particularly large downside and little upside reward. Does that make me somehow "less" of a pilot than you? Perhaps, but perhaps not.

On the whole airline vs. GA, vs. military thing... it is all baloney. There are both outstanding and weak pilots each of those groups. Personally, some of the best stick and rudder pilots I've ever flown with look incredibly inexperienced on paper, but can fly circles around the 30K+ hour pilots I fly with at work. On that point, I think we would agree.

Scott[/QUOTEer ]

Scott... Well said.... I really respect your response ... A true profession pilot with an awesome approach ..
33 years....19,000+ hours...3500 tail wheel... 2000+ aerobatic.... And I just learned another great lesson... That's what's so great about what we do. Thank you .

Keep it up..

Matt C
Matt Chapman is offline Find More Posts by Matt Chapman
Old 10-28-2012, 09:48 PM
Find More Posts by N726AC
Seven.Four Liters
United States, FL, North Fort Myers
Joined Sep 2006
7,552 Posts
I still crack a big smile when I grease the Citabria in a gusty crosswind.
N726AC is offline Find More Posts by N726AC
Old 10-28-2012, 10:01 PM
Find More Posts by sirzepp
United States, TX, Kilgore
Joined Aug 2011
297 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by N726AC View Post
I still crack a big smile when I grease the Citabria in a gusty crosswind.
You are making me drool.
sirzepp is offline Find More Posts by sirzepp
Old 10-28-2012, 10:04 PM
Find More Posts by cubdriver
Soldotna Alaska
Joined Jan 2006
50 Posts
full scale

Ya the spring gear on my 7GCBC was hard to greasem in on wheels I flew mine on floats and ski's the majority of the time I had it for about 3 years its still one of my favorites for a rag tube plane
cubdriver is offline Find More Posts by cubdriver
Old 10-28-2012, 11:01 PM
Find More Posts by Flyfalcons
Hero to the masses
United States, WA, Enumclaw
Joined Sep 2006
4,194 Posts
Those that have flown floats.....know. That's all I'll add.
Flyfalcons is offline Find More Posts by Flyfalcons
Old 10-29-2012, 12:14 AM
Find More Posts by Shaker
Doug Cronkhite
Joined Jan 2006
2,567 Posts
In reading Scott's post, I'm reminded how many times people get killed every year as a result of 'get home itis' when they decide to try flying home from somewhere despite the weather.
Shaker is offline Find More Posts by Shaker
Old 10-29-2012, 12:41 AM
Find More Posts by cubdriver
Soldotna Alaska
Joined Jan 2006
50 Posts
full scale

I agree with Doug In Alaska if you haven't spent some nights in the field waiting on weather you have been pushing your luck,
cubdriver is offline Find More Posts by cubdriver

Quick Reply