logo
Old 11-05-2009, 12:15 PM
Find More Posts by Walt
In
Joined Jan 2006
815 Posts
Re: Ultra Light 55% Extra 260

Hey Bob: Been looking over this thread in total amasement. You never cease to amase me and most other's here. Wish I lived closer to see your skills by eye, definately something I could appreciate and learn from. Thanks for doing this and showing this and all the other's you have done, I know personally the time involved. Your the man no doubt about it. Walt
Walt is offline Find More Posts by Walt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 11-05-2009, 01:50 PM
Find More Posts by sensei
Super Weight Freak
San Antonio Texas
Joined Nov 2006
3,715 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt View Post
Hey Bob: Been looking over this thread in total amasement. You never cease to amase me and most other's here. Wish I lived closer to see your skills by eye, definately something I could appreciate and learn from. Thanks for doing this and showing this and all the other's you have done, I know personally the time involved. Your the man no doubt about it. Walt
Thank you very much Walt, coming from a craftman/builder of your caliber, is the greatest compliment I could get.

Sincerely, Bob
sensei is offline Find More Posts by sensei
Old 11-05-2009, 03:29 PM
Find More Posts by Bam Bam
Victoria, Australia
Joined Oct 2007
3,383 Posts

i cant wait for the end result! i only have the net at work, so every morning i come and look at this thread and am always surprised to see the quick pace of this build. that been said i cant wait for the flight report!
Cheers Bob
Bam Bam is offline Find More Posts by Bam Bam
Old 11-05-2009, 09:54 PM
Find More Posts by 2walla
United States, WA, Walla Walla
Joined Apr 2007
3,095 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensei View Post
Dean has the weight difference all laid out between the two power plants on a spread sheet that he sent me, (Thanks Dean) with all things considered, the actual weight difference is only about 2. 75 lbs more.
At this point in time, I just need to finish this thing and then get the ready to fly weight at that point, I can say that at this point, things are still looking good and moving forward.

I also need to let you know that the kit version will be in the range of 4 lbs. lighter due to the .75 lb density core that will be in the kit over my proto that has 1lb density.

Bob
Cool Bob, I figured that you had all of the facts in evidence before you decided on the change. It will be nice to see this one completed!
2walla is offline Find More Posts by 2walla
Old 11-06-2009, 01:22 AM
Find More Posts by walkerk122
Ankeny, IA
Joined Jan 2006
753 Posts

Well guys, today was a big day here in Iowa. My wife and son ran over to the laser cutter for me and picked up the pre-production prototype for the DA 200 version. I spent the evening punching out parts, sanding laser burn, checking fit and finish, and eventually even did some gluing. Aside from a two very minior tweeks to a couple tabs (which will be fixed!!) this dude went together really well. Anyway, here are a few pics from tonight.

Oh yeah, My DA 200 arived today as well. THANKS Dave and the DA Crew!! What an amazing piece of art!

BTW - when you are looking at the photos note that the F2 and truss side gussets are just press fit onto the motor box that's why you see a couple gaps here and there....
walkerk122 is offline Find More Posts by walkerk122
Old 11-06-2009, 01:37 AM
Find More Posts by classclown
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2006
2,200 Posts

Wow!! That 200 looks tiny on that engine box! Kit looks great!! Is there a price for the kit yet? Steve.
classclown is offline Find More Posts by classclown
Reply With Quote  (Disabled) Quick reply to this message (Disabled)
Old 11-06-2009, 01:59 AM
Find More Posts by Craven
United States, FL, Port Orange
Joined Feb 2006
10,852 Posts

I thought Bob said you guys are doing yours with a 170???????
Craven is offline Find More Posts by Craven
Reply With Quote  (Disabled) Quick reply to this message (Disabled)
Old 11-06-2009, 02:15 AM
Ankeny, IA
Joined Jan 2006
753 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craven View Post
I thought Bob said you guys are doing yours with a 170???????
We're building two of them. Mine will have the 200 and Matt's will have a 170 on MTW RE3's.
Old 11-06-2009, 02:22 AM
Ankeny, IA
Joined Jan 2006
753 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by classclown View Post
Wow!! That 200 looks tiny on that engine box! Kit looks great!! Is there a price for the kit yet? Steve.
Thanks Steve. The 200 does get a little dwarfed on there. Have you seen the photo with the 170 on the font

Kit price is still evolving but our goal is the $2k range. There are some really expensive components in this bugger so it is not going to be easy.....
Old 11-06-2009, 05:38 AM
Find More Posts by RMaia
Campo Largo - PR - Brazil
Joined May 2006
762 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkerk122 View Post
Well guys, today was a big day here in Iowa. My wife and son ran over to the laser cutter for me and picked up the pre-production prototype for the DA 200 version. I spent the evening punching out parts, sanding laser burn, checking fit and finish, and eventually even did some gluing. Aside from a two very minior tweeks to a couple tabs (which will be fixed!!) this dude went together really well. Anyway, here are a few pics from tonight.

Oh yeah, My DA 200 arived today as well. THANKS Dave and the DA Crew!! What an amazing piece of art!

BTW - when you are looking at the photos note that the F2 and truss side gussets are just press fit onto the motor box that's why you see a couple gaps here and there....
Wow!! Simply awesome!

That DA200 is a real gem...
RMaia is offline Find More Posts by RMaia
Old 11-06-2009, 06:53 AM
Find More Posts by DAGONZ
Japan, Kanagawa Prefecture, Ayase
Joined Mar 2008
79 Posts

" Kit price is still evolving but our goal is the $2k range. There are some really expensive components in this bugger so it is not going to be easy....." quote

Wood, Foam, & Fibre Glass? Did I miss something? Oh Carbon Main Gear.
DAGONZ is offline Find More Posts by DAGONZ
Old 11-06-2009, 06:56 AM
Super Weight Freak
San Antonio Texas
Joined Nov 2006
3,715 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAGONZ View Post
Kit price is still evolving but our goal is the $2k range. There are some really expensive components in this bugger so it is not going to be easy.....

Wood, Foam, & Fibre Glass? Did I miss something? Oh Carbon Main Gear.[/quote]

Also carbon wing & tail tubes, the wing tube is a 72" X 2" dia. Between the gear and wing tube, that is over $400.00 alone.

Bob
Old 11-06-2009, 06:57 AM
Find More Posts by DAGONZ
Japan, Kanagawa Prefecture, Ayase
Joined Mar 2008
79 Posts

Konichiwa sensei, gomennasai. omodeto gozaimasu.

Hello Sensei, sorry for the price question. Congratulations on your achievement.
DAGONZ is offline Find More Posts by DAGONZ
Last edited by DAGONZ; 11-06-2009 at 07:17 AM.
Old 11-06-2009, 07:02 AM
Super Weight Freak
San Antonio Texas
Joined Nov 2006
3,715 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkerk122 View Post

That looks great Kevin.

Bob
Old 11-06-2009, 07:09 AM
Find More Posts by a10hog
Oops Did I say that
United States, AL, Moulton
Joined Jan 2006
706 Posts

Bob,

Congratulations my friend!

Its awesome to see you put yours together but to see a productions model of your hard work is really breath taking. For all the years we (the SA crew) have know you this is a defining moment, a testament to your dedication and love of the hobby, and aviation.

You are the Sensei!
a10hog is offline Find More Posts by a10hog

Quick Reply