logo
Old 04-05-2007, 09:24 PM
Find More Posts by jmiracle
Findlay, Ohio
Joined Jan 2006
1,383 Posts
Question for you paint experts out there

OK all you paint experts out there. I ordered some PPG recently that was supposed to be matched to Monokote Orange. (I also ordered some blue and white).

When the order arrived today, I popped the lid of the paint to check the color match and noticed the orange was very very "red" compared to the roll of covering I have.

Now I know covering may vary shades from roll to roll, but this much?? Should I expect the paint to really change it's shade this much once it's laid down? (see pic below)

I've already sent an email to the supplier I purchased from expressing my concerns, and I'm sure they'll take care of any problems I have....but I also wanted to get the opinions of those on here who know more about this than me.

So what do you think? Is this orange going to lighten up a bunch once it's sprayed, or should I be requesting better matching paint? For reference, the royal blue I ordered was as good of a match as I could ever ask for....looked perfect to me.
jmiracle is offline Find More Posts by jmiracle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 04-05-2007, 09:26 PM
Find More Posts by JeeUm
United States, NY, Wading River
Joined Jan 2006
4,494 Posts
Re: Question for you paint experts out there

I'd try a test piece on a white primered surface, but I don't think it's gonna lighten up that much.
JeeUm is offline Find More Posts by JeeUm
Old 04-05-2007, 09:37 PM
Findlay, Ohio
Joined Jan 2006
1,383 Posts

one of my first thoughts was that it just needed mixed really well, so I grabbed a stick and started stirring....when it didn't lighten up, I spread some paint on a piece of white monokote and let it dry for awhile.....if anything, it got darker when it dried.

I know, not the same as spraying on white primer, but it's gotta be close, right??
Old 04-05-2007, 09:43 PM
Find More Posts by Shawn Berkheimer
Joined Jan 2006
642 Posts

The supplier dropped the ball, what you see in the can is what you are going to get when it is sprayed.

shawn
Shawn Berkheimer is offline Find More Posts by Shawn Berkheimer
Old 04-06-2007, 06:46 AM
Findlay, Ohio
Joined Jan 2006
1,383 Posts

Thanks guys...thats pretty much what I was expecting, but was hoping for something better.

I'll wait to see what the supplier says about it...hopefully it's not a big deal to get it fixed.
Old 04-06-2007, 07:21 AM
Find More Posts by AEROCOLOR
DAYTON,OHIO
Joined Jan 2006
185 Posts

If you are interested,I have the codes for orange that matched well on my Harley plane at home. I also have the Royal blue which was very close out of the can. These are DuPont Chromabase codes but can be converted to PPG.
Bill
AEROCOLOR is offline Find More Posts by AEROCOLOR
Old 04-06-2007, 07:24 AM
Find More Posts by Boulder
It's official, thanks Verne...
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Jan 2006
11,247 Posts

Hey Jay,

I have some PPG in Monokote orange, I'll take a pic of it in the can and post it. Some paint actually gets a little darker as it dries.

The pic turned out a little blurry, but the color is still very visible.

Added another pic of my paint on a sheet of orange Monokote,
Boulder is offline Find More Posts by Boulder
Last edited by Boulder; 04-06-2007 at 09:19 AM. Reason: added pictures
Old 04-06-2007, 07:28 AM
Findlay, Ohio
Joined Jan 2006
1,383 Posts

Thanks Bill, I just may hit you up for these. I'll wait to see what the supplier has to say...I really expect he'll make this right for me.
Old 04-06-2007, 08:38 AM
Findlay, Ohio
Joined Jan 2006
1,383 Posts

Ken,

Thanks for the pics...that's what I was expecting to see when I opened the can. At least now I know what to expect.
Old 04-06-2007, 09:17 AM
Find More Posts by DKnippen
In The Box
bloomingdale, IL USA
Joined Mar 2006
1,478 Posts

Jay,
I just finished painting with the PPG. the paint should look exactly like the covering. It doesn't change color after drying. Don't use it.
DKnippen is offline Find More Posts by DKnippen
Old 04-06-2007, 05:34 PM
Find More Posts by gregrussell
composite extra 300 shp
dayton ohio usa
Joined Jan 2007
28 Posts

The best way to get a great paint match is to get it mixed as close as possible first. Then as I do get all the tints it takes to make that color. With some practice, and adjusting it a little at a time you can almost hit dead on. The best way to see how close the match will be before spraying is to iron the covering that you are trying to match on to the exact type of wood surface that you going to butt up to. Mix the paint well in the can. Take a small dot on your finger about the size of a pencil eraser and make a small circle on the test piece. The key is to not spread it too thin,just evenley. This is done without thinner. Let it air dry for a few minutes. All colors will either lighten or darken slightley after they dry. Some are just not as noticeable as others. Usually reds/yellows/oranges/are the worst. White is not to be counted out since white is Never white. Even white ppg white to match monocote has black tint in it to knock off the edge. Now that you have let the test spot dry take it outside in the sunlight. This wil allow you to se the match in a UV lit situation. You will almost immediatley see what if any adjusting you will have to do.Sometimes I will even wet my finger and lightley rub over the test spot. This will give it a clear coat effect. I have been using ppg paint products exclusivley for quite a few years and found it very easy to use and adjust once you get an eye for it. The one important thing to remember about paint matching is the smaller the batch the more difficult it is to match. Many pigments and tints take only a small dot to totally blow away a match job. Well, gotta go.

I hope I have helped a little.

Talk to ya later,,

Greg Russell/ Aquila Composite Aircraft
gregrussell is offline Find More Posts by gregrussell
Old 04-06-2007, 05:54 PM
Find More Posts by Boulder
It's official, thanks Verne...
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Jan 2006
11,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKnippen View Post
Jay,
I just finished painting with the PPG. the paint should look exactly like the covering. It doesn't change color after drying. Don't use it.
You very well could be right, the experience I have in having the paint end up a little darker after drying was not with automotive paint. My PPG paint that I currently have is, as you can see, extremely close to the color of the Monokote that I have in stock.
Boulder is offline Find More Posts by Boulder
Old 04-06-2007, 06:15 PM
Find More Posts by gareth.ky
Caymanian Pirate Code Monkey
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jul 2006
2,122 Posts

gregrussell I have a question. What colors do you use as pigments when color matching? Red/Green/Blue or Cay/Magenta/Yellow/Black? I'm thinking about doing some paint color matching myself and it would be cool to get an idea of the process.
gareth.ky is offline Find More Posts by gareth.ky
Last edited by gareth.ky; 04-06-2007 at 06:16 PM. Reason: removed bad link
Old 04-22-2007, 09:06 PM
Findlay, Ohio
Joined Jan 2006
1,383 Posts

thought I'd post a follow-up to this...
I've been dealing with Tony at RadioSouth for my paint. This guy is a saint! He's dealt with all of my numerous emails like a real professional.

I sent him an email with a picture of the color match issue and asked if there was anything he could do to help me with this. Without any fuss at all, Tony shipped me a replacement can of orange that arrived last week. This can is a perfect match to the covering I'm using.

Tony is a class-act!! I'll be giving him as much business as I can!
Old 04-25-2007, 05:13 PM
Find More Posts by gregrussell
composite extra 300 shp
dayton ohio usa
Joined Jan 2007
28 Posts

Hey buddy,

Sorry I havent got back to you sooner. If you are color matching and you have a color that has been matched fairly close you should ask for the tints that mad up that particular color. If you are changing the color to a semi custom stay in the same spectrum that the color falls in. reds/oranges/yellows/white. blues/ greens.
Remember it is best to try and lighten or darken with the main tints the color is built from. Black and white can be your enemy if you add too much, and it doesnt take much. One dot to much of black can brown out reds and oranges. White will wash out the color and make it go pastel. Once you have got the color on the money make sure that you transfer the New Mix into a brand new can. Label it so that you can remember what you did. If there is anythiung else I can help you with feel free to write,

Greg Russell

Aquila Composite Aircraft
gregrussell is offline Find More Posts by gregrussell

Quick Reply