Welcome to The FlyingGiants! - please login or click this bar to join our community...

Welcome to The FlyingGiants Community! We're all about fun, and inside you'll find the greatest, friendliest, and most helpful group of people around! If this is your first time visiting, please check out site, and click here to sign up! We hope to see you soon!!

Go Back   FlyingGiants > Giant Scale Planes > Crash and Burn
Forgot your password? Create a new account

Old 02-19-2012, 11:14 AM   #1561
yipDog
Faster than an unladen swallow

Quote: Originally Posted by jw357_23043
View Post
Too low and slow.
+1 and since I owned a smaller Top Flite Corsair, I did research on the real thing and found out they were placarded for no spins. Killed a lot of pilots. Point is the tip stall is an easy entry to an unrecoverable spin. Just to see if it worked the same on the models, I decided to try it. Notice I "owned" being past tense!!

This guy was way too slow. Cant land any warbird like a Cub!!

Speaking of Cubs, watched a gorgeous 1/3 scale (being entered in gunsmoke scale competition next week) almost bite it on a landing with a 90 deg strong crosswind! Damn near ground looped it!
Don't scale pilots know how to use rudder?

Last edited by yipDog; 02-19-2012 at 11:21 AM.
yipDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 11:46 AM   #1562
yipDog

While I'm here I'll share a few spectacular crashes I witnessed many years ago. I may be able to find pics of a couple but no video.

Scenario...Rhinebeck, NY...Warbird fly-in.
Cloudy day chance of rain 100%

Plane... Our club's 1/3 scale Balsa USA Pup.
Fabric covered and painted. Flew it a few times with no issues. Then it rained a bit. Didn't have anywhere to put the plane but it was covered up in all critical areas. Went to fly it again and upon takeoff, planes tail dropped and pilot yelled "don't got it!" he was at full throttle fighting to get it away from the flight line. Kind of a torque roll of sorts! Well, it finally got far enough away and the pilot dumped it right in the middle of the grass runway where it stuck like an arrow! Upon inspection, the tail was filled with about a half gallon of water! Oops!

Next up, normal day at our club field, a couple weeks before I had just finished building and covering a giant stick for a friend. He had several good flights on it. This day, he takes off and enters the pattern flying. Nothing special. After a few laps he guns the throttle and we hear a loud buzz. We watch the fuselage continue on a beautiful arc right into the ground. About a minute later the wing which is spinning with the spar as its axis comes in peacefully for a landing in the middle of the runway. I ask the pilot..."did you put in the wing bolts?" he reaches into his pocket and answers "you mean these?"

And my favorite...at Westport,NY
Watching two beautiful 1/3 scale Carden CAP 232's flying...opposite patterns! The pilots are yelling at eachother arguing which way the pattern is. Finally, the planes meet face to face and the shards fall to the runway. After the wreckage is toted back to the pit area we hear a woman screaming obscenities and a crunching noise. This was one of the pilot's wives jumping up and down on the other pilot's planes (not the one that had just crashed) yelling it was his fault and their vacation was ruined! apparently the two pilots were from the same club and were friends!
Old 02-20-2012, 03:30 PM   #1563
rcbobp
Have Fun And Fly

Carnage from Deland Winter Festival this past weekend.
Attached Thumbnails
  • Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0963.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	446787 109.7 KB · Views: 364

rcbobp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:16 AM   #1564
jw357_23043
Gettin' Lower!

Send a message via Yahoo to jw357_23043

Quote: Originally Posted by yipDog
View Post
+1 and since I owned a smaller Top Flite Corsair, I did research on the real thing and found out they were placarded for no spins. Killed a lot of pilots. Point is the tip stall is an easy entry to an unrecoverable spin. Just to see if it worked the same on the models, I decided to try it. Notice I "owned" being past tense!!

This guy was way too slow. Cant land any warbird like a Cub!!

Speaking of Cubs, watched a gorgeous 1/3 scale (being entered in gunsmoke scale competition next week) almost bite it on a landing with a 90 deg strong crosswind! Damn near ground looped it!
Don't scale pilots know how to use rudder?
Some trainer planes from back in the late 80's had a tendency to tip stall. I learned this when I began to fly a PT 20 from Great Planes. I remedied the problem by incorporating washout at the wingtips. I wonder if you could do this with the Corsair?
jw357_23043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 01:26 AM   #1565
Siko_Flyer
Know God,no fear!

Quote: Originally Posted by rcbobp
View Post
Carnage from Deland Winter Festival this past weekend.
Pilot looks good,altho he appears a little shaken up.
Jeff Sikes
Old 02-21-2012, 10:06 AM   #1566
SURREYRCAV8R
WHAT! Another Plane!

Quote: Originally Posted by topflight36
View Post
I wonder if any of the other Planes Plus, Chip Hydes, or CA model versions had this issue?

I got one of these a while back for basic IMAC and it flew good. Its still sitting in the hanger and I was thinking of using it as a freestyle bird. But if it has a glue issues I may have to think twice.
Well I know after i posted my crash pictures on another website, I got 5 private messages from different people that had the exact same issue with the Planes Plus and one of the chip hyde versions. I have not heard of any issues with the CA brand of ARF's but if they were made in the same factory i would be cautious. The issue revolved around the covering lifting on the wings leading edge and then the air getting under the covering and pulling the poorly glued leading edge off the wing resulting in total wing failure...interesting enough some had it happen on the right wing some on the left. I would not use that plane for much of anything other than a pretty hanger queen. Knowing what you know now, regardless of soaking the wings in CA how could you ever trust it...I doubt it would take much stress of very high G's to cause issues...might be a fun way to practice knife edge flight into a one wing landing!
Old 02-21-2012, 10:13 AM   #1567
SURREYRCAV8R
WHAT! Another Plane!

View Post
Too low and slow.
Total stall on that Corsair...one thing about Corsairs is they have to be flown in...they do not float and they glide like a brick...full scale Corsair pilots had the exact same issues.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:21 PM   #1568
yipDog

View Post
Some trainer planes from back in the late 80's had a tendency to tip stall. I learned this when I began to fly a PT 20 from Great Planes. I remedied the problem by incorporating washout at the wingtips. I wonder if you could do this with the Corsair?
Part of the issue (if not all) is the inverted gull wing design. The full size and models fly very much the same. With a trainer you are using a non-symetrical airfoil with tons of dihedral. The corsair's wing is a very different animal and the remedy you mention would not behave the same.

I guess the real point of my original post was that when I fly a scale model I do the research to know what the full size behaved like and try to mimick the way it flies. That includes staying away from the known issues with an airframe no matter the size. And forgetting all that, as many mentioned, you have to fly ALL WWII fighters to the deck. That poor guy didn't get the memo!
Old 02-24-2012, 09:06 PM   #1569
Solo 56
Doo It! Doo It!

Well I "dumb Thumbed" my Aero-works Yak today. Great weather for flying but on the second flight of the day, I was tumbling the plane and then an inverted spin which I tried to come out of inverted and it didn't quite work. Too low and too slow.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2012-02-24_09-06-46_760.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	447435 86.6 KB · Views: 267

Name:	2012-02-24_09-06-58_494.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	447436 98.0 KB · Views: 224

Solo 56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:47 PM   #1570
Black Bird
Into The Light I Command Thee

Looks like the pilot did not survive..
Po Bro Member #1
Dawghouse (Retired)
FG member #1
Black Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 12:37 AM   #1571
Siko_Flyer
Know God,no fear!

Quote: Originally Posted by Solo 56
View Post
Well I "dumb Thumbed" my Aero-works Yak today. Great weather for flying but on the second flight of the day, I was tumbling the plane and then an inverted spin which I tried to come out of inverted and it didn't quite work. Too low and too slow.
I see the problem,you left your allen wrench,needle nose and plastic box on the wing and it through the balance off,not a dumb thumb at all
Jeff Sikes
Old 02-25-2012, 10:33 AM   #1572
Robotech
Bad-ass Super Contributor!

Quote: Originally Posted by Siko_Flyer
View Post
I see the problem,you left your allen wrench,needle nose and plastic box on the wing and it through the balance off,not a dumb thumb at all
Jeff Sikes
Could be, but I think it was that the right wing was on upside-down.

Ouch, man.
Robotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 04:06 PM   #1573
rcbobp
Have Fun And Fly

Wait a second, that wasn't the trim for the elevator, it was the on/off switch!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2012-02-26_13-46-05_87.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	447714 99.2 KB · Views: 251

Old 03-01-2012, 05:02 PM   #1574
jace
Yak Attack

^^^ Whoa Whoa i need more outta this one. Why couldnt you turn it back on??
jace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:20 AM   #1575
rcbobp
Have Fun And Fly

By the time the pilot figured out what happened, the ground was too close to the plane.