logo
Old 07-26-2009, 07:27 PM
Find More Posts by SportFlyer
Back at it again...
Joined Feb 2008
1,008 Posts
3DHS 51" AJ Slick vs. EF 48"Extra 300 EXP...

I am looking into getting myself a new Electric 3D plane and have pretty much narrowed it down to these two. 3DHS 51" AJ Slick or the new 48" Extreme Flight Extra 300 EXP...What are the pros and cons of both planes???

I should also mention that I am totally new to electrics and want to get one for when my big gassers are down (like now...) or when I feel like taking a plane to work and getting a flight or two in while at lunch. Any help on what setups are best and if there are any all inclusive packages or combos would help tremendously also...

Thanks,

Zed
SportFlyer is offline Find More Posts by SportFlyer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 07-26-2009, 07:43 PM
Find More Posts by MattyMatt
CARF-Models Rep USA
United States, NC, Greensboro
Joined Apr 2006
3,710 Posts
Re: 3DHS 51" AJ Slick vs. EF 48"Extra 300 EXP...

Hey Zed... I'm doing the same thing.

I've chosen the 51" slick for now!

Both look to be awesome planes.

Anyone have thoughts?
MattyMatt is offline Find More Posts by MattyMatt
Old 07-26-2009, 07:50 PM
Find More Posts by cap 232g
Canton, Michigan
Joined Mar 2007
12,831 Posts

Zed, both planes are awesome. You will be happy either way! Both Extreme Flight and 3DHS offer combos on their websites. There are also threads on both planes on FG with many set-ups, tips, and flight reports.
cap 232g is offline Find More Posts by cap 232g
Old 07-26-2009, 07:57 PM
Find More Posts by 3D Master
Keep'em Flying Low!!
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2006
641 Posts

The 3DHS 51" Slick is an awesome plane, it will flip, tumble, hover like no other plane i have flown. It really flies and feels like a bigger plane that it is. To me its a good practice plane for the big gasser's. I have no experience with the Extreme Flight planes but both companies you can not go wrong with!! They stand behind their products and are both easy to deal with. Ben at 3DHS will take the time to explain the setup and will help you get the right set up, as well as im sure Chris at Extreme flight will do the same!!
Thanks,
3D Master is offline Find More Posts by 3D Master
Old 07-26-2009, 10:48 PM
Find More Posts by danielph
Fly Extreme!
High Prairie, Washington
Joined Jul 2007
4,363 Posts

I'd go with the 48" Extra 300 EXP, but they're both awesome planes! I'm building my EXP now, and can't wait!
danielph is offline Find More Posts by danielph
Old 07-27-2009, 12:34 AM
Find More Posts by BoneDoc
Closet Jesus Freak
San Antonio, TX
Joined Jan 2006
3,557 Posts

Both are great airframes from two great companies. Ben and Chris are top notch and represents all that is good in this industry, both in customer service, as well as the quality of the airframes.

I've flown both, though my experience is more extensive with the AJ Slick. IMHO, the Slick flies more like its big gasser counterparts. It has a wider cowl, and as such, will fly slower compared to the EF EXP. The EXP though, with its sleeker fuselage will burn the sky faster and more readily than the Slick. Both airframes exhibit rock-free upright and inverted harrier. Out of the box, the EXP will exhibit slightly less coupling compared to the Slick due to the Slick's higher wing position (keeping in line with the scale looks).
BoneDoc is offline Find More Posts by BoneDoc
Old 07-27-2009, 12:46 AM
Find More Posts by danielph
Fly Extreme!
High Prairie, Washington
Joined Jul 2007
4,363 Posts

Very well said. I agree.
danielph is offline Find More Posts by danielph
Old 07-27-2009, 01:48 AM
Find More Posts by dubd
Turbine Hucker
Silicon Valley
Joined May 2007
1,609 Posts

I just maidened my 51" AJ Slick today and it flys as slow and graceful as my Dietrich 42% Slick 540. Go with the one that you think looks the best. You can't lose with either plane.
dubd is offline Find More Posts by dubd
Old 07-27-2009, 06:26 PM
Back at it again...
Joined Feb 2008
1,008 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDoc View Post
Both are great airframes from two great companies. Ben and Chris are top notch and represents all that is good in this industry, both in customer service, as well as the quality of the airframes.

I've flown both, though my experience is more extensive with the AJ Slick. IMHO, the Slick flies more like its big gasser counterparts. It has a wider cowl, and as such, will fly slower compared to the EF EXP. The EXP though, with its sleeker fuselage will burn the sky faster and more readily than the Slick. Both airframes exhibit rock-free upright and inverted harrier. Out of the box, the EXP will exhibit slightly less coupling compared to the Slick due to the Slick's higher wing position (keeping in line with the scale looks).

Thanks Bonedoc I appreciate your input especially since you have a lot of documented time on the Slick. I really like both planes but can't afford to get both right now. This will be a hard decision for sure...
Old 07-27-2009, 08:24 PM
Find More Posts by manta1
Joined May 2009
375 Posts

i think probly go with the one you like the scheme/looks of the best.i owned the 51 slick.nothiing ihave flown before or since,flys as stable slow..loved it..i saw the extreme flight at seff..gorgeous plane for sure!Both Ben and Chris are top shelf.Flip a coin,either way youll be happy i bet
manta1 is offline Find More Posts by manta1
Old 07-28-2009, 08:36 AM
Back at it again...
Joined Feb 2008
1,008 Posts

What about setups for the two??? I don't know anything about the new electrics other than they have a ton of power. When I stopped flying 15 yrs ago the only electrics they had were the old Kyoshos and to me they were a joke. Now that I've been flying again for a year, I've noticed the electrics fly better than some of the gas planes...
Old 08-01-2009, 11:34 PM
Back at it again...
Joined Feb 2008
1,008 Posts

Well I got a surprise today when I got to the field...I mentioned that I wanted to get an electric model to a flying buddy and he said to follow him back home. He said he had a little Yak that he got at a swap meet and wanted me to see and when I got to his shop he had a EF Yak 54-E with Torque 2814/820 that he wanted $200 for. I didn't know much about it and neither did he and he offered me to take it home and get it going and to play around with it. After looking at it i noticed that it had a small repair job done to one of the firewalls so he said to give $100 for it and to take it and the motor with the servos installed in it (HS-65HB's). I said OK and later looked it up. I feel bad that I got it for so cheap that I'll give him $150 for it and now all I need is a battery and ESC and I'm up flying...
Old 08-01-2009, 11:40 PM
Find More Posts by Uncle Brett
Huntington Beach CA.
Joined Jan 2006
1,318 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDoc View Post

Class.
Uncle Brett is offline Find More Posts by Uncle Brett
Old 08-03-2009, 07:31 PM
Find More Posts by flashburn
Joined Aug 2008
12 Posts

I fly electric with a club buddy who has both. The Slick tumbles better and does the hardest wall I have ever seen. The Extra fly's precision and even with added elevator throw it still does not pitch as hard or fast as the Slick. Both hover on the recomended power systems with no problem.
The Slick flat spins harder the Extra but the Extra does the bigest smoothest knife edge loop you will ever see.
From Rob if you want a hard tumbling 3D machine go for the Slick, if your pref is toward precision with smooth 3D go Extra.
flashburn is offline Find More Posts by flashburn
Old 08-03-2009, 07:46 PM
Find More Posts by SleepyC
USA, OH, Aurora
Joined Jan 2006
30,070 Posts

Both planes are great, But Ben from 3D Hobby Shop smells funny, and Chris Hinson used to be a woman.
But hey don't let that change your mind...
SleepyC is offline Find More Posts by SleepyC

Quick Reply