logo
Old 02-27-2009, 10:02 AM
Find More Posts by JoeAirPort
RC Enthusiast
United States, WI, West Bend
Joined Jan 2006
8,340 Posts
Re: EF 88" Extra Vs 3DHS 89" AJ Slick?

Tell you the truth I have the EF but would like to have both. There that settles it. Get both !!!
JoeAirPort is offline Find More Posts by JoeAirPort
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 02-27-2009, 10:16 AM
Find More Posts by cjcyclesrc
United States, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Sep 2006
3,990 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben_beyer View Post
How does the performance of a DA 50 on the MTW pipe compare to the Brillelli?

Mejzlik 22x10 on both. Same fuel on the same day. Using the same tach DA 7200, Brillelli 7500. The Plane with the Brillelli will walk off and leave the lighter plane with the DA even though it's about a pound lighter. The funny thing is this Brillelli was weak for about the first 4-5 gallons, but it has come to life.

Andrew,

Bad ass Video. Does a set of thumbs like yours come with the plane? Those Snap-ups are Cool.
cjcyclesrc is offline Find More Posts by cjcyclesrc
Old 02-27-2009, 10:18 AM
Find More Posts by Animal Jesky
Squirrel please...
United States, UT, Tooele
Joined Jan 2006
760 Posts

Charles,

Thanks for the comments. I really have enjoyed flying this plane and look forward to what people will think when they get to fly it.

Andrew
Animal Jesky is offline Find More Posts by Animal Jesky
Old 02-27-2009, 10:31 AM
Joined Sep 2006
3,990 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeAirPort View Post
Tell you the truth I have the EF but would like to have both. There that settles it. Get both !!!
That's the solution.

I like to try out one of the AJ Slicks but I need to calm down. I just Bought a QQ Python and I have a 50cc EF Cap coming soon.

Stang Killa SS,
The DL on stock muffler would be fine on either plane. I'll get out to the airfield around noon. If you don't have my # it's 254-654-1901
Old 02-27-2009, 10:50 AM
Find More Posts by 3DHobbyShop
I work for Extreme Flight RC.
TEXAS
Joined Apr 2006
1,284 Posts

Charles - hey, I didn't know your handle on FG, good to "see" you dude. Where are you living now? What field do you fly at?

StangKilla - Good to "see" you too, hope to run into you guys at an event before too long. Let me know which ones you're going to. Thanks.

Re: Slick and Extra -

I always tell people who ask about us and EF the same thing - in my opinion you're looking at great aircraft from two great companies. I know Chris well, and he and I get along because we have the same philosophy about doing a good job and providing good service. We also tend to bitch about the same things ;-)

The Extra has been out for a while and it's a much loved airplane. The Slick is new, and probably fewer than 20 people in the world have flown it. It's going to take a while for reviews to start coming in. However, there are a few things to know about it:

Andrew did a fantastic job of making it feel very, very big. He's pretty modest but he knows exactly what he wants from a design perspective and it really works. His airfoils work very well and are highly developed and have very little tradeoff between tracking, snapping, and harriering. The fuselage is designed for KE flight and the Slick develops a whole lot of lift in KE, more than most people expect, and average pilots are going to be pulling off some very slow DOD KE stuff with it in short order. Andrew could have dropped the wing down to the middle of the fuse, but then it wouldn't be a Slick, and he definitely wanted it to be recognizable for what it is - a Slick 540.

Thanks for the questions and the thread!
3DHobbyShop is offline Find More Posts by 3DHobbyShop
Old 02-27-2009, 10:55 AM
Find More Posts by JoeAirPort
RC Enthusiast
United States, WI, West Bend
Joined Jan 2006
8,340 Posts

Just looked at the video again...wow. Nice sticks is right. What's really interesting about the two aircraft discussed in this thread is that they were both designed and tested by ace pilots. That's a winning formula IMO.
JoeAirPort is offline Find More Posts by JoeAirPort
Old 02-27-2009, 11:09 AM
Find More Posts by tcruiser16
Watch this!
Vancouver Island
Joined Jan 2007
372 Posts

That Slick does fly awesome and looks fabulous
tcruiser16 is offline Find More Posts by tcruiser16
Old 02-27-2009, 11:12 AM
Find More Posts by STANG KILLA SS
All Thumbs
Killeen Texas
Joined Oct 2007
200 Posts

cool charles i may try to get out there to watch you guys in person. i was VERY impressed with the EF when you flew it here. its perfomance was blatently obvious even to a rookie like myself. if i can get the F-16 put back together in time, i may throw it in the car as well. katana doesnt fit in the camaro so well..... haha
got an address for the feild?
great news about the DL/stock muffler, i didnt want to spend the cash on a pipe, my skills are there yet to need it anyway.

ben
for sure. well be at the 3dhs fly-in again this year im sure. and hope to see you at the local big bird again too.
btw in my slick research i came across your blog. and noticed thats me standing over the katana! sweet!
i did not realize so few had had there hands on this plane yet, probly not a fair thread then with that time frame.
that was the first thing i noticed, the mid wing. i also heard what you are saying, that the slick has a very unique airfoil.
can you elaborate on the KE lift? on the katana i flop full rudder, and fly with the throttle about 3' off the deck, i love that. with the slick with all that rudder, and lift, i assume the slick would probly dang near KE loop. i would probly have to learn to be a better flyer and learn to modulate rudder and throttle i would assume with the slick duing KE?
another bonus about the slick is i can pick it up, no shipping.

what im looking to primarily have is better harrier and hover characteristics, and more positive/quicker low speed aleron responce, but without giving up the killer KE characteristics of the katana. basically i want it all haha

btw weve been working on a moded velox lately. build should be complete soon and pics up. profile fuse'

Cory
STANG KILLA SS is offline Find More Posts by STANG KILLA SS
Last edited by STANG KILLA SS; 02-27-2009 at 11:23 AM.
Old 02-27-2009, 11:57 AM
Find More Posts by 3DHobbyShop
I work for Extreme Flight RC.
TEXAS
Joined Apr 2006
1,284 Posts

Just looked at the video again...wow. Nice sticks is right. What's really interesting about the two aircraft discussed in this thread is that they were both designed and tested by ace pilots. That's a winning formula IMO.

Joe, I agree.

can you elaborate on the KE lift? on the katana i flop full rudder, and fly with the throttle about 3' off the deck, i love that. with the slick with all that rudder, and lift, i assume the slick would probly dang near KE loop. i would probly have to learn to be a better flyer and learn to modulate rudder and throttle i would assume with the slick duing KE?

It's easy, the Slick is so forgiving. The Katana, like you said, is very fogiving, just slap the rudder over and throttle it...that's the way Katanas, with their small side area, are. The Slick, however, can go so much slower and is really confidence-inspiring in low, slow HA KE.

another bonus about the slick is i can pick it up, no shipping.

Sure, come on over. We've had a lot of guys come pick up Slicks over the last week - the current distance record holder is from Ohio!
3DHobbyShop is offline Find More Posts by 3DHobbyShop
Old 02-27-2009, 12:19 PM
Squirrel please...
Joined Jan 2006
760 Posts

If anyone is looking for some pictures of the slick I have loaded some up on my personal page
http://andrewjesky.weebly.com/

Andrew
Old 02-27-2009, 12:33 PM
Joined Sep 2006
3,990 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animal Jesky View Post
If anyone is looking for some pictures of the slick I have loaded some up on my personal page
http://andrewjesky.weebly.com/

Andrew
Nice I bookmarked it.

One question- Are the 2" swb arms required to get full throw? Are you using them at a lower end point to get the surfaces faster or are they turned up to max end points for resolution?
Old 02-27-2009, 12:52 PM
Squirrel please...
Joined Jan 2006
760 Posts

With the supplied horns that come with the planes there are 2 different choices for linkage adjustments. The upper hole puts the pivot point over the Hinge line and the other is offset back. I like to have the pivot point over the hinge line, so I use the 2 inch arms to get 50 degrees of throw. 1.5 will get you 45 degrees.
BTW, My ATV's are set up at 130 percent, you always want to get the most resolution as well as torque.

Andrew
Last edited by Animal Jesky; 02-27-2009 at 01:03 PM.
Old 02-27-2009, 12:56 PM
Joined Sep 2006
3,990 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DHobbyShop View Post
Charles - hey, I didn't know your handle on FG, good to "see" you dude. Where are you living now? What field do you fly at?

Yeah, last year was crazy. I'm sick of moving, I guess that's what I get for going for those risky career opportunities. A wise boss once told me a good saying. "If you want to achieve a goal you have never achieved before you have to try a way you have never tried before." I was lucky the company I worked for before made me a good offer to come back.

I'm living in Belton and flying at the Temple field.
Last edited by cjcyclesrc; 02-27-2009 at 01:06 PM.
Old 02-27-2009, 01:11 PM
Joined Sep 2006
3,990 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animal Jesky View Post
With the supplied horns that come with the planes there are 2 different choices for linkage adjustments. The upper hole puts the pivot point over the Hinge line and the other is offset back. I like to have the pivot point over the hinge line, so I use the 2 inch arms to get 50 degrees of throw. 1.5 will get you 45 degrees.
BTW, My ATV's are set up at 130 percent, you always want to get the most resolution as well as torque.

Andrew
Thanks. It just seemed a little outside of the norm with 2" arms.
Old 02-27-2009, 01:19 PM
Find More Posts by danielph
Fly Extreme!
High Prairie, Washington
Joined Jul 2007
4,363 Posts

Andrew, did you have 50 degrees of throw on the ailerons? The roll rate looked kinda' slow. ??? It looked like a 40% roll rate. Thanks!

BTW, Awesome video! That snap to hover was unreal in that it was SO slow!
danielph is offline Find More Posts by danielph

Quick Reply