logo
Old 05-20-2007, 04:51 PM
Find More Posts by GremlinX
Father of the Scale Furum
Chapel Hill, TN
Joined Jan 2006
4,595 Posts
Aviation Design(Godfrey) 35% Extra 260 BUILD THREAD

Ok boys and girls... lets build this thing. First, lemme explain my whole situation. I really enjoyed the way Robert(Mr Godfrey)designed and kitted his little foamie series of planes. I met him at Joe Nall last year and spilled the beans on how well mine was and that I have always wanted one of his kits. I explained (honestly) my build ability and NO experience with ANY kits besides 1 Stevens Aero RV-4. That does not really count . He assured me I could call and bug him anytime between the hours of 9 am and 9:01 am ONLY for tech help... So, I bought his 35% 260 and started from there. So, for any of you who want to build a killer and proven kit but are afraid of the 1,876,562 parts in the box when you get it... not to worry. If I can do it, ANYBODY can do it. "It's so easy a caveman could do it" (sorry Geico). Lets start the build.
GremlinX is offline Find More Posts by GremlinX
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 05-20-2007, 04:54 PM
Chapel Hill, TN
Joined Jan 2006
4,595 Posts
Re: Aviation Design(Godfrey) 35% Extra 260 BUILD THREAD

Here is where it starts.... the very precise CNC router. This makes a very clean machine fit part without the hassle of cleaning the burnt wood that lasers can do. You just glue the part, then press it in place... done!
Old 05-20-2007, 04:59 PM
Find More Posts by Mudsurfer1234
Glow fuel sucks!
United States, PA, Bechtelsville
Joined Jan 2006
615 Posts

*grabs bucket of popcorn*

I'm tuning into this build. Go Keith Go!
Mudsurfer1234 is offline Find More Posts by Mudsurfer1234
Old 05-20-2007, 04:59 PM
Chapel Hill, TN
Joined Jan 2006
4,595 Posts

This is what the parts look like on the table. This is where I knock the "fuzz" off of any parts that may have a little fuzz on the edge. 99% of the parts are just super clean cut though...
Old 05-20-2007, 05:05 PM
Chapel Hill, TN
Joined Jan 2006
4,595 Posts

The first thing I did was build the motor box/wing tube area/landing gear area. This is a very strong assembly when it is done. You really want to dry fit all of this stuff even though the temptation is to glue and go. It falls together so easily, but still... dry fit this stuff. I located the two sides of the box, the wing tube phenolic, the gear plate, and the aluminum braces for the gear. Build this stuff onto the tube and you can't build it crooked!!!! Start by clamping the motor/gear/wing tube box sides...
Old 05-20-2007, 05:07 PM
Chapel Hill, TN
Joined Jan 2006
4,595 Posts

I am making seperate post to use as build steps and can refer to "post #" for questions... I think it is easier this way, but it makes for more post... Thanks FG for the free postings!

OK, now, lets do the other side to this motor/gear/tube box... and glue in the angle aluminum here now, it is easier than later..
Last edited by GremlinX; 05-20-2007 at 05:24 PM.
Old 05-20-2007, 05:35 PM
Chapel Hill, TN
Joined Jan 2006
4,595 Posts

OK, lets build the fuse sides.They are two piece sides and you can't put them together wrong. Robert uses a jigsaw puzzle piece style joint. When it is pulled, it only gets tighter. Pretty neat. This is part of the unique "invisajig" construction he came up with. DO NOT forget to glue in the stringers that run on the bottoms....!!

Also, do not forget to put in the servo screw doublers for the rear of the fuse. These are for the push/pull rudder setup. You'll need the tail weight likely, so don't leave these buggers out!!!!
Last edited by GremlinX; 05-20-2007 at 06:27 PM.
Old 05-20-2007, 05:46 PM
Find More Posts by selwyn
Canada
Joined Jan 2006
132 Posts

Watchin' this build very closely....is this kit available if so price and where does one get them....looking at the parts, it looks as if the sides are contoured in the front where they meet the cowl...I like that little scale feature Keep going!!

Selwyn.
selwyn is offline Find More Posts by selwyn
Old 05-20-2007, 06:09 PM
Chapel Hill, TN
Joined Jan 2006
4,595 Posts

While the sides/stringer brace is drying, setup the box and the fuse top plate. Notice that I do not have any plans out yet... or ever. The plane can't build crooked. If you tweak the plane(I tried for experience), you will see where it has popped out of the tab/slot joiner...
Last edited by GremlinX; 05-20-2007 at 06:24 PM.
Old 05-20-2007, 06:41 PM
Chapel Hill, TN
Joined Jan 2006
4,595 Posts

OK... the motor box and the fuse sides are done. Lets leave the fuse top plate on the flat table or build board if you have one. A door or pool table with a very solid non flexing top works good. Do not try to build this on a garage floor.. it's not flat! I bet money. Anyway. Lets just start stacking the F3,F4, etc onto the top plate. Just glue, drop, snug up and move along... very quickly we'll have a fuse in the bones..
Yeah, that's me pre-diet of course...
Old 05-20-2007, 06:45 PM
Chapel Hill, TN
Joined Jan 2006
4,595 Posts

OK, the sides have been glued in ( I like to use white alaphetic? glue from Aviation Design). I know a lot of you have your own wood glue. I do not and did not use any CA in this build for the actual construction. I think it's brittle and cracks up over time.. anyway, Let it all dry for a little bit. Lets put the fuse sides up. Glue everything! Look hard to make sure you glued it all up and slap them side in! She's ready.
Old 05-20-2007, 06:55 PM
Chapel Hill, TN
Joined Jan 2006
4,595 Posts

Stringers... or longerons.. whatever. Lets start from the front, and work them into their slots. Make sure they all fit. It seems like I had to file one former slot 1/16" so it would fit. DO NOT...DO NOT glue in the outside stringers yet. You will need to belt sand or whatever to "feather" them in. Otherwise, they'll stick up higher than the inner ones. Look at the pics... you can see.They all fit nice and tight, so I glued both the former and a little dab on the stringer itself... Just let them fall where they fall at the tail.. we'll finish that in a sec. So far you should have no more than 1.5 hours to get to this point... probably less.
Last edited by GremlinX; 05-20-2007 at 07:00 PM.
Old 05-20-2007, 07:00 PM
Find More Posts by zzw26n
United States, MI, Shelby Charter Township
Joined Mar 2006
2,033 Posts

Gremlin,

You wearing an OMEGA Watch! in this build?

Ward
zzw26n is offline Find More Posts by zzw26n
Old 05-20-2007, 07:12 PM
Chapel Hill, TN
Joined Jan 2006
4,595 Posts

OK, here you can see better how to "finish" off the stringers. This will make you a nice platform to mount your tailwheel. RCBlimp makes a nice light one. Any of them will fit this style of mount so... I went with this way.
*Step 1- Throw in the wing tube and horizontal stab tube. Please don't glue anything right here. Put it in the fuse, and check to see where it is. Here, we will check it for both being square to the wing tube, and, check to make sure it is level. The wing tube was so level , that you wont need to worry about it. You should have glued it way back when you did the motor/gear/tube setup. I like epoxy for all of this.
*Step 2-If it is not level, or needs adjusted, I like to do it with toothpicks wedged around the outside of the stab tube. It is going to be close, I guarantee that! Mine was 1/64" out.. so go figure.
Step 3- wear gloves, epoxy is messy, and harmful to your skin. Mix up some 30 minute or 1 hour stuff. Not 5 minutes. Now, once the epoxy is mixed, keep throwing in cabasil or micro balloons.. Make it the consistency of mayonaise. Once that is done, spooge it in and around the tube from the inside. Try to force the mix in there good.
*Step 4- Don't leave this alone.. just keep an eye on this to make sure nothing moved.
Last edited by GremlinX; 05-20-2007 at 07:18 PM.
Old 05-20-2007, 07:13 PM
Chapel Hill, TN
Joined Jan 2006
4,595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzw26n View Post
Gremlin,

You wearing an OMEGA Watch! in this build?

Ward
Tisk Tisk.. no, my trusty ole' Breitling Crosswind Racer...
Last edited by GremlinX; 03-03-2008 at 02:47 PM.

Quick Reply