logo
Old 07-07-2015, 04:51 PM
Find More Posts by saberwulf
south carolina
Joined Jul 2007
45 Posts
Hinging the Ailerons and Wings (also pinning the hinges)

here we go again... put the hinges in the hinge slots in the wing and slide the aileron on to each wing half. check your hinge gap as you may have to create a small pocket for the hinge to recess down into. when satisfied with the gap, remove the aileron and glue your hinges into whichever surface you choose to glue first. ( dont forget to oil or vasoline your hinges so the epoxy doesnt stick to them. dont wipe the glue around the hinge as the glue pushes back out as you dont want to force epoxy in between the grooves of the hinge down to the steel/aluminum pin.)
let the epoxy cure good enough to where it doesnt move if you put a little pressure on it and then glue the other control surface and slide the 2 pieces together, check the end of the wing to make sure your aileron and wing end at the same place. also make sure you have seated the hinges good and you have the hinge gap that you had before glueing. ( yes, by my pics i have A LOT of extra glue to clean up but it did clean up quick and easily and the hinges move like they did before any epoxy was put on them. ). now let cure and clean the hinges off/out.
now we are going to trim the control horns to the shorter length and find the slots in the ailerons and mark out the spot where you need to remove the covering so that you can gkue the control horns in. dont forget to put tape arount the square opening where you are going to be glueing to ensure a good clean up just like we did on the elevator halves.
after you have cleaned the hinges of excess epoxy and glued in your control horns, you may or may not elect to pin your hinges. this is just 1 extra step to keep your ailerons, elevator and rudder from pulling loose from the plane in flight( not from flutter but from the sheer amout of force excerted on the surfaces in some of the major and stressful manuevers that we do in 3D).
i got some toothpicks to pin my hinges with. you will need to find the appropriate size drill bit and drill from the bottom side of the surface( aileron/elevator) throught the hinge but NOT through the covering on the other side. cut the point off of 1 end of the toothpick and sand it back round as this will be the part you slide in after you fill the hole with CA( i used medium CA). fill the hole with CA, then slide the toothpick in and let dry before trimming down. ( i trimmed mine off with a Dremel tool and a cutoff disk).
saberwulf is offline Find More Posts by saberwulf
Old 07-08-2015, 07:33 AM
Find More Posts by Muttdog
United States, FL, Jupiter
Joined Feb 2013
2,198 Posts
is pinning the hinges really required?
Muttdog is offline Find More Posts by Muttdog
Old 07-08-2015, 08:06 AM
Find More Posts by Salmon
Dayton OH
Joined Jul 2006
666 Posts
I did not pin any hinges on my model however I did use strips of clear covering to seal the hinge gaps. I believe I included this as a tip in the manual but neither is required IMO. Purely a builder's preference.
Salmon is offline Find More Posts by Salmon
Old 07-08-2015, 03:57 PM
south carolina
Joined Jul 2007
45 Posts
its purely preference. i have heard of no problems with out pinning the hinges. i can just be a little abusive on manuevers and for my piece of mind i pinned them. thanks
Old 07-08-2015, 07:00 PM
Joined Feb 2013
2,198 Posts
After finishing my 60cc WWRC slab kit I'm just a little burned out on building so I decided on building a 30cc slab in the future and buying the Fusion now. Just ordered Scheme A
Old 07-09-2015, 11:08 AM
south carolina
Joined Jul 2007
45 Posts
I am sure that you're going to like it. The quality of the plane and the accessory pack you get is awesome. Keep us posted as you build/ when you build it.
Old 07-09-2015, 09:48 PM
Joined Feb 2013
2,198 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saberwulf View Post
I am sure that you're going to like it. The quality of the plane and the accessory pack you get is awesome. Keep us posted as you build/ when you build it.
Will do but it may be a little while. I have a killer jet ski project that was waiting on my 60cc build to finish. I ordered it now in case it sold out as always happens to me. Besides I just maidened the 60cc WWRC slab and my focus is on that right now. That plane is unlike anything I have ever flown before and it only has 12 minutes total time!
Old 07-13-2015, 04:22 PM
Find More Posts by bpetty620
B-rad
United States, PA, Chalfont
Joined Aug 2006
703 Posts
I started working on my fusion Saturday and was able to get the motor and servos installed..
bpetty620 is offline Find More Posts by bpetty620
Old 07-16-2015, 06:19 AM
south carolina
Joined Jul 2007
45 Posts
looking good there Bradley.
sorry i havent updated in a few days. im waiting on some parts to come in to install the motor. ill be posting pushrod pics and servo horn installation soon. i was out of work bc of some medical issues nut now im back at work so my updates on the build will be a little slower. please be patient as i will post as quick as i can. Thanks, David
Old 07-16-2015, 09:58 AM
Find More Posts by Bulldog9
United States, OH, Xenia
Joined Sep 2009
457 Posts
Bradley, you have all the hard work done and the wings are easy. Lets see some finished pictures. When is the flying video going to be up?
Bulldog9 is offline Find More Posts by Bulldog9
Old 07-16-2015, 09:34 PM
Joined Feb 2013
2,198 Posts
Mine arrived in 3 days and looks to be all there safe and sound. I only opened the box to inspect and put it on the shelf. I'll start gathering the bits and pieces over the next few weeks but first I'm stuffing an 1100cc Triple cylinder engine into a standup jet ski for a little summer fun
Old 07-19-2015, 12:43 PM
south carolina
Joined Jul 2007
45 Posts
Flight Pack (Battery) Bay

underneath of the motor , locate the battery bay and get your battery hatch out of the accessory bag. Cut the covering in a "X" from corner to corner and iron the covering to the inside of the battery bay.
now take your battery bay hatch/cover and locate your 4 screw holes and drill the hatch/cover.
Old 07-19-2015, 12:57 PM
south carolina
Joined Jul 2007
45 Posts
Wire Tunnel Inside Fuse

inside the fuse is a tunnel for your servo leads to run through. you will see the end of the end of the tunnel. the middle of the tunnel you can locate in the back cutout covering section for the wing. i used a piece of thin wire to pull my 3 servo leads out of the other side of the tunnel. *** NOTE*** i had to use 3) 12" extensions to make my leads long enough to pull through the tunnel.
the tunnel also goes under the fenalic tube for the wing and then switches to the top side of the internal fuse rails to go all the way up to the motor.
depending on where you are going to locate your reciever, you can leave the leads at the back wing cutout or pull them through to the front cutout( the front cutout is where i have located my wires as of now. a final balance check may change this.).
Old 07-19-2015, 01:27 PM
south carolina
Joined Jul 2007
45 Posts
Wing Halves... servo install, ball link assembly, pushrod assembly and access panel

you will find under the wing an access panel. it has a nylon bolt in it that serveres for nothing more than to remove the panel. ( there is no nut on the backside of the panel for this bolt so you may want to secure the bolt slightly elevated on the outside so you will be able to grab it as my big fingers are unable to.) the access panel is held into place with to 90 degree cut pieces of ply already installed and 2 very strong magnets. so strong that mine came unglued about the 4th time i took the panel off. i just sande the correct side of the magnet, reverified i was correct on polarity and re-CAed them into place.
the factory has installed some thread inside each wing half to allow you to pull your leads through the wing. before you take this thread loose, chech to see if you are going to need and extension on the servo lead. I used a 4" extension but am going to change that out to a 6" for a little extra room to hook things up.
lets assemble the ball links and pushrods for the ailerons. you can see from the pictures that this is very easy to do. the pushrods on ALL controll surfaces on my plane have screwed all the way in to where there are no threads exposed. this allowed for thr servo to center correctly and the control surfaces to be very close to dead on in line.
Old 07-19-2015, 01:34 PM
south carolina
Joined Jul 2007
45 Posts
Hacker Motor, CC Phoneix Edge 100

this is just a few pics of my motor and ESC ( not pitured is my Castle Pro BEC that i decided to go with instead of the internal BEC that the Edge offers.) i soldered 6mm bullets onto the ESC and the motor and an EC5 for the battery side of the ESC as it can handle 120amps .