Old 02-20-2015, 12:12 AM
Find More Posts by T_Simatovic
Team Horizon
United States, GA, Smyrna
Joined Jan 2010
3,889 Posts
Help!
shipping a used airframe

Anyone here done it? How did you box it/crate it, how much did it cost, who did you ship through, etc. Have a beater 100cc hangar 9 extra 300 I'm shipping to a friend, need a cheap way to get it there. Under 150 or so. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
T_Simatovic is offline Find More Posts by T_Simatovic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 02-20-2015, 02:24 AM
Find More Posts by thewooster
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Mar 2013
286 Posts
Greyhound is an affordable option and will ship anywhere in the US. A buddy of mine had a new plane ship for under $150....Regarding the box, cheaper if you create your own by cutting/taping multiple boxes to achieve the right size....hope this help and good luck
thewooster is offline Find More Posts by thewooster
Old 02-20-2015, 07:33 AM
Find More Posts by Muttdog
United States, GA, Canton
Joined Feb 2013
2,826 Posts
I just shipped a 35%'er 4 weeks ago from Florida to California via Greyhound for about $130.00. Dimensions were 7ft x 3ft x 1.5ft and weight was 65lb. Here are some guidelines
Max length has to be no more then 86 inches (or very close to that) on the longest side so if you have 35% you will most likely have to remove engine and rudder

You can only insure for $300. Chance of loss is unlikely but damage is so make sure to pack it securely. I like to use large cardboard boxes hot glued together. Then I get the free USPS priority mail boxes from the post office and hot glue those assembled inside the box to brace the items along with shipping peanuts. When the guy received my plane he said the bus could have driven over it and nothing would happen. That is how you want to pack it.
Tracking is less then accurate so call the receiving station after a few days to see if they have it. The guy said they called him asking when he was going to pick it up but tracking was still showing it in TX. I shipped one to MD that only took a day to get there. The package to CA took 4 days but it sat there for another 3 days

This is 4 36 x 18 x 18 cardboard shipping boxes with the flaps inter weaved and hot glued together
Muttdog is offline Find More Posts by Muttdog
Last edited by Muttdog; 02-20-2015 at 07:39 AM.
Old 02-20-2015, 10:41 AM
Find More Posts by funboy
Denver
Joined Aug 2006
4,622 Posts
Freightquote.com
funboy is offline Find More Posts by funboy
Old 02-20-2015, 10:51 AM
Find More Posts by Capt. Roll
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Oct 2011
1,112 Posts
LOL........no wonder USPS is going broke. They give away their shipping cartons and they get used for packing material. Can't figure out why USPS gives away their flat rate/priority mail boxes??? Boxes aren't cheap...........

You'd think they would, at the minimum, sell them for the flat rate shipping charge.

Nice packing job BTW, contents look very secure and well protected.
Capt. Roll is online now Find More Posts by Capt. Roll
Old 02-20-2015, 10:56 AM
Joined Feb 2013
2,826 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Roll View Post
LOL........no wonder USPS is going broke. They give away their shipping cartons and they get used for packing material. Can't figure out why USPS gives away their flat rate/priority mail boxes??? Boxes aren't cheap...........

You'd think they would, at the minimum, sell them for the flat rate shipping charge.

Nice packing job BTW, contents look very secure and well protected.
FWIW - I spend over $100,000.00 per year in USPS postage so I don't feel too bad about it. Also, the boxes are only filled with air pillows so there is nothing stopping the new owner from re using them or perhaps he can break them down and return to USPS . Ok I know the odds of that but hey, I provided options. My hands are clean
Old 02-20-2015, 09:08 PM
Team Horizon
Joined Jan 2010
3,889 Posts
the funny thing is I'm only selling the frame for $200 basically. It's an old beater plane that I don't really have time for any more. Thanks guys so much for the help I'm going to have to look into it further but this gives me a great place to start. Any other pictures would be greatly appreciated if you got them. Thanks again guys!
Old 02-20-2015, 10:00 PM
Find More Posts by ericb
Team WTFO
USA, SD, Worthing
Joined Mar 2006
9,612 Posts
ericb is offline Find More Posts by ericb
Old 02-20-2015, 10:06 PM
Find More Posts by ben_beyer
Notorious B.E.N.
United States, TX, Bryan
Joined Feb 2006
3,968 Posts
Where do you get boxes big enough?

I'm looking at selling and shipping a 40% plane. Plus I might be selling an 89" Slick too.
ben_beyer is offline Find More Posts by ben_beyer
Last edited by ben_beyer; 02-21-2015 at 02:32 PM.
Old 02-21-2015, 10:58 AM
Team Horizon
Joined Jan 2010
3,889 Posts
Wood crates are definitely overkill for the plane I'm shipping, but I would like to learn to crate anyway. Excellent work!
Old 02-23-2015, 06:43 AM
Find More Posts by orthobird
I used to hammer at 1500 feet
United States, LA, Shreveport
Joined Apr 2012
9,044 Posts
Eric, can your stabs be removed for shipping? as well as the prop?
looks like if those two were removed, it would lower chance of damage.
orthobird is offline Find More Posts by orthobird
Old 02-23-2015, 04:04 PM
Find More Posts by T.I.T
Thumbs In Training
United States, OR, Damascus
Joined Apr 2013
108 Posts
Here are some links I found when I was looking at shipping a plane but ended up selling it locally. For what it's worth I had a 35% dalton shipped to me via forward air for a fairly reasonable price when compared to ups or fedex. The plane was crated like the one in the youtube video and arrived safely.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=241

https://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/...read.php?t=390

How I crate an R/C airplane to ship it. (5 min 15 sec)
T.I.T is offline Find More Posts by T.I.T
Old 02-23-2015, 06:13 PM
Find More Posts by slowgto
United States, FL, Wellington
Joined Oct 2014
309 Posts
Muttdog, you sold your QQ yak? Am I the only one in PBC left with one?
slowgto is offline Find More Posts by slowgto
Old 02-24-2015, 07:01 AM
Joined Feb 2013
2,826 Posts
Yep I sold her. It was not an easy decision to make but it was just too big, expensive and pucker factor was too high. I am a 60cc guy for now. The deal actually worked out great as the buyer only wanted the airframe, prop and engine. I was able to keep all the electronics including the 4 flights old savox servos that will all go into the new build.
Old 02-24-2015, 01:46 PM
Find More Posts by Hoosier06
United States, IN, Highland
Joined Jan 2006
616 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben_beyer View Post
Where do you get boxes big enough?

I'm looking at selling and shipping a 40% plane. Plus I might be selling an 89" Slick too.

I made boxes with 1x2's and deck screws. Covered the framework with cardboard I got from an appliance store nearby. The refrig cardboard boxes were thicker cardboard. I stapled the cardboard on and used Elmers glue to stiffen up areas that looked like it needed support. Shipped a 35% and 40% from Indiana to California via Greyhound. They have max size listed on their internet site. Also shipped quite a few smaller planes the same way. Never had a problem. Once the cardboard loosened and a section came off. Everything in the box was safe and sound on arrival. My Brother and I did this often, he lived in CA.. Easy to use 1x2's to make it convenient to support the plane in the box. At times we needed to take of the rudder. cowl and spinner to make the size max. Took off the wheels to screw landing gear into wood blocks gleud and screwed into framework. Not fun building crates but we loved the planes and the hobby.
Hoosier06 is offline Find More Posts by Hoosier06

Quick Reply