logo
Old 02-14-2013, 01:13 AM
Find More Posts by PontiusPilot
Flyin' Around
Joined May 2012
3 Posts
I unfortunately couldn't make it out that day. I am dying of anxiety to fly this sucker. Were you the one flying the Meridian prototype?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspauld2 View Post
Thanks for posting the video Salam! It does scream on the Saratoga, but that's part of the fun isn't it?

Looks like you did a great job on the build.

Jimmy
PontiusPilot is offline Find More Posts by PontiusPilot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 02-14-2013, 09:44 AM
Find More Posts by jspauld2
Horizon Hobby Employee
Joined Dec 2012
38 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiusPilot View Post
I unfortunately couldn't make it out that day. I am dying of anxiety to fly this sucker. Were you the one flying the Meridian prototype?
Yea, we were doing testing on the Meridian and the Saratoga that day. Hopefully you'll be able to fly it soon! I'm sure it will be a blast.
jspauld2 is offline Find More Posts by jspauld2
Old 02-14-2013, 11:27 AM
Find More Posts by Salam
Springfield, VA
Joined Jan 2011
40 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiusPilot View Post
I am hoping to be at the field on Friday.... are you joining?
Salam is offline Find More Posts by Salam
Old 02-27-2013, 08:31 PM
jlc
Find More Posts by jlc
jlc
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Jan 2012
595 Posts
Salam,
I saw earlier in this thread that you used the fortitude tank for this engine. How did you set it up? I use those tanks on my big planes but haven't rigged one up to hold pressure.
Thanks
jlc is offline Find More Posts by jlc
Old 02-27-2013, 11:10 PM
Find More Posts by Salam
Springfield, VA
Joined Jan 2011
40 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlc View Post
Salam,
I saw earlier in this thread that you used the fortitude tank for this engine. How did you set it up? I use those tanks on my big planes but haven't rigged one up to hold pressure.
Thanks
I have the 8oz in there and use it just like any other fortitude RC tanks except the vent line goes into the muffler. I did not use the blue color fuel line comes with the fortitude tanks rather used the black color high heat fuel line from fuel tank to the carburetor and from the tank to the muffler. The filling line is the regular tygon with filling dot mounted on the fuselage. The black high heat tubing that I used came with the engine.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.
Salam is offline Find More Posts by Salam
Old 02-28-2013, 06:41 AM
jlc
Find More Posts by jlc
jlc
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Jan 2012
595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salam View Post
I have the 8oz in there and use it just like any other fortitude RC tanks except the vent line goes into the muffler. I did not use the blue color fuel line comes with the fortitude tanks rather used the black color high heat fuel line from fuel tank to the carburetor and from the tank to the muffler. The filling line is the regular tygon with filling dot mounted on the fuselage. The black high heat tubing that I used came with the engine.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.
Thank you. Thats what I wanted to know.
jlc is offline Find More Posts by jlc
Old 03-05-2013, 02:41 AM
Find More Posts by boostoman
Muscat, Oman
Joined May 2010
162 Posts
Let me start by saying this engine is amazing. wow wow

why am I so excited??

well because for the last one year i have been really suffering trying to get the NHG 9cc to work properly with many issues with the pumping and the carb it was a total heart breaker. (you can see from my vids on youtube).

When I received my 10GX on Thursday i thought i would go through the same hassle and issues. But to my surprise it was a piece of cake.

firstly the engine mounting dimensions was an exact fit to the OS46AX and NGH 9cc. even the mounting bolt location was in the exact same place.
once i got all the plumbing in place after a few turns with the starter it fired up.

I don't have the suggested 10x6 run in prop so i put a 10x7 prop as a run in prop.

I noticed that the needle setting from the factory was super rich in the high and low with dirty unburnt fuel spluttering all over my plane within a few minutes of running. after a bit of tuning i managed to get it to run leaner with out any issues with a reliable idle of the 10x7 at 3,500 rpm and a top end of 12,800 rpm.

Now the only grip i have about this engine is the exhaust gasket and bolt. the kit came with 2 gaskets but they were the metal type that would not seal properly even after you torque it out when the engine is warm. plus they were made of a very malleable metal that they became thin and would break. I hope the EVO could look into that and change out their exhaust gaskets to the more commonly used nonmetallic type. The other issue was that the exhaust bolts would come loose after a few high RPM runs. I tried to use locktight but off course it didn't work. I ended up using CA glue on the small bit of thread that came out of the exhaust side once the bolts were in. and it seems to be holding up well till now.

I installed the engine on a Hobbyking Decathlon 0.46 and with the 10x7 prop it seems to fly it but i had to really punch the throttle to get it anywhere as you can see from the video below. with a 240cc tank I managed to fly 2 5min flights with a 1/4 of the tank still balance. I think my fuel consumption will improve once i get the engine run-in and tuned properly .

one other great thing that comes with the kit is the plug and play RPM sensory for the Spektrum telemetry it was really helpful. better than looking at a small inaccurate display on the plane. I wish Spektum sold these separately.

I will be installing a 11x6 prop next hopefully this will give the plane more authority in flight with more toque.

All in all I have to say this is a brilliant engine simple to install great power for any 0.46/0/50 nitro plane. and the plus side you done need any expensive nitro fuel anymore.

Hobbyking Decathlon with Evolution 10GX maiden (1 min 20 sec)
boostoman is offline Find More Posts by boostoman
Old 03-14-2013, 05:03 PM
Find More Posts by alexreyes13
Joined Aug 2010
27 Posts
Check this out evolution 10cc Gas engine on a tune pipe!

Evolution 10cc gas engine with sundowner 36 (8 min 23 sec)
alexreyes13 is offline Find More Posts by alexreyes13
Old 03-15-2013, 05:43 AM
Find More Posts by airborne33
Romans 8:28
Freeport, Bahamas
Joined Aug 2008
364 Posts
What's the AUW? I think we'd love to see a video of your combo in the air.
airborne33 is offline Find More Posts by airborne33
Old 03-24-2013, 08:10 PM
Find More Posts by gapple12
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Aug 2006
4,561 Posts
trying to snag one of these and cant find one in stock anywhere......Anyone know when they should be back in stock or where to buy one NOW ??
gapple12 is offline Find More Posts by gapple12
Old 03-24-2013, 08:49 PM
Find More Posts by PeteBergstrom
Manager - Evolution, SAI, ZEN
Monticello, IL
Joined Dec 2007
27 Posts
Unfortunately Horizon will not have these back in stock until the end of April.

Pete
PeteBergstrom is offline Find More Posts by PeteBergstrom
Old 04-12-2013, 08:36 AM
Find More Posts by gapple12
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Aug 2006
4,561 Posts
Well, ended up finding a guy with the engine new in the box. The plane is for a friend and the install came out nice. The GP Escapade online posted weight is from 5 to 5.5 pounds. Im right at 5 pounds so should be a good flyer. Now, Im only running 1 4.8 1600 Hydromax pack for RX and the ignition. I really had no more room in the plane for a second pack, or even a larger one. I'm hoping we can get at least a few flights on the pack before needing to charge.
gapple12 is offline Find More Posts by gapple12
Old 07-20-2013, 11:10 AM
Find More Posts by Jasong78
Joined Dec 2012
13 Posts
I just bought the hanger 9 cub 40 to put the 10gx in, one big issue absolutely no room for the ignition module ,there is a tunnel for the exhaust below the gas tank and no hatch , making it impossible to slide the ignition module up-front so im stuck with under the the receiver which im REALLY NERVOUS about and i still cant find a place to put in the other battery.

i don't see any way it will cg correctly. MAJOR nose heavy. there only 2 inches between gas tank and servo mount. to putt any electronics

I just love how they jump to the conclusion that this model will work with the motor !!!!!!!!!

i got 5 hrs of work into this model and i hate to make access panels on a plane i just paid 250 for ..

any ideas, think im safe running the ignition module on top of receiver ?
Jasong78 is offline Find More Posts by Jasong78
Last edited by Jasong78; 07-20-2013 at 11:16 AM.
Old 07-21-2013, 01:37 AM
Find More Posts by boostoman
Muscat, Oman
Joined May 2010
162 Posts
it should be ok. I have my igntion module less then one inch away from my throttle servo as well less then two inches away from my reciever on my Hobbyking decathlon and no issues at all.

I use one Life battery for both ignition and RX without any issues as well.

hope this helps
boostoman is offline Find More Posts by boostoman
Old 07-27-2013, 08:21 PM
Find More Posts by Jasong78
Joined Dec 2012
13 Posts
was wrong muffler hits into fuse, and there is no other muffler for it, i would have to cut out and modify 1" into the fuse.
Jasong78 is offline Find More Posts by Jasong78

Quick Reply