logo
Old 03-07-2012, 10:19 PM
Find More Posts by RollingHarrier
RC 'Aholic!
United States, CT, Westbrook
Joined Jan 2006
2,175 Posts
Hi Mike,
It really depends on how detailed you want to get and if you are an experienced builder. Panel lines and rivets take a long time to complete. I'm doing panel lines in the primer but no rivets. Building the booms is the toughest part. The fiberglass ones save a lot of time so I'd highly recommend them.
It's hard for me to say how long it took me.I started mine in 2003. I got the center section , wings and the elevator framed up in about 3 months. Then I shelved it when I realized how much it was going to cost to finish it. A few years later some friends talked me into finishing it. So I started the booms and over a period of 3 years finally go it flying last year. I think it took them less time to put Glacier Girl back together. LOL
According to my spread sheet I've got $4500 in materials in mine. But I started with the wood kit and ended up buying the fiberglass boom late last year.
Don't go cheap on the engines, I used DA, you won't regret it. I also reversed the right engine to help with P factor , DA makes it real easy. Use a Twin Sync to keep the engines in Sync, makes a huge difference in h ow it fly's.
If you have any questions feel free to post them here or PM me. There are also some build threads on RCU that were helpful.
Good luck
Jim
RollingHarrier is offline Find More Posts by RollingHarrier
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 03-07-2012, 10:22 PM
RC 'Aholic!
Joined Jan 2006
2,175 Posts
I got the elevator and stab mounted. The doors are all glued together and ready to be fitted to the bottom. Shouldn't be long now and it'll be ready for paint!
Old 03-07-2012, 11:32 PM
Find More Posts by RappyMan
Help - I like helicopters
United States, IA, Elk Horn
Joined Jan 2006
1,353 Posts
Great looking P-38s. I hope the 20' monster will fly some day. What sort of work is left to make it airworthy?
RappyMan is offline Find More Posts by RappyMan
Old 03-08-2012, 01:47 AM
Find More Posts by ALWAYSPDG
Joined Apr 2009
14 Posts
Hi Jim.

Thanks for the information! I don't think I would do the panel lines and such. I agree with you regarding the DA engines! I would want to build the basic kit with fiberglass options and keep the build time down as much as possible. You said, you built for three months, was that building 8 hours a day or at night only after work???

Do you have any pics of your P-38 and/or flying videos???

Thanks again for the info!!!

Mike
ALWAYSPDG is offline Find More Posts by ALWAYSPDG
Old 03-08-2012, 06:12 AM
Find More Posts by vatechguy3
United States, VA, Smithfield
Joined Jan 2006
2,305 Posts
What do you use for a prop and the reversed engine?

Tony
vatechguy3 is offline Find More Posts by vatechguy3
Old 03-08-2012, 05:29 PM
RC 'Aholic!
Joined Jan 2006
2,175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALWAYSPDG View Post
Hi Jim.

Thanks for the information! I don't think I would do the panel lines and such. I agree with you regarding the DA engines! I would want to build the basic kit with fiberglass options and keep the build time down as much as possible. You said, you built for three months, was that building 8 hours a day or at night only after work???

Do you have any pics of your P-38 and/or flying videos???

Thanks again for the info!!!

Mike
Just a couple nights a week and maybe the weekends when the weather was crappy. It builds pretty quick until you hit the booms! LOL If I were to estimate the time now I think I could get it framed in about 6 months and then flying in another 6 if it was the only project I had. Part time of course
Here's a youtube link to the Maiden
P38 Maiden.wmv (6 min 33 sec)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vatechguy3 View Post
What do you use for a prop and the reversed engine?

Tony
I ordered a couple Xoar 20X10 3 blade pusher props. Zinger makes one too.
Old 03-26-2012, 04:54 PM
RC 'Aholic!
Joined Jan 2006
2,175 Posts
Got 3 gear doors on and the rudders are ready to mount. Getting real close to paint now.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:16 PM
Find More Posts by wecoyote
Super Genius
Colonial Heights, VA
Joined Sep 2008
1,159 Posts
sub
wecoyote is offline Find More Posts by wecoyote
Old 03-26-2012, 07:12 PM
RC 'Aholic!
Joined Jan 2006
2,175 Posts
Here's another showing the Elevator mount.
Old 03-31-2012, 01:59 PM
Joined Apr 2009
14 Posts
Hey Jim. Just read the entire thread, wow lots of information on the build. Your maiden flight looked soooooooooo cool. Sounded really good too! Your landing looked perfect! You do top notch work!!! I admire your workmanship and dedication to quality. You have done an amazing job on your P-38 !!!! I am sorry to hear about your second flight . Sounds like you are already getting her closer to flying again though! If I lived closer to you, I would want to meet you and see her in person and help in anyway I could.

If you don't mind, what caused the bounce on your second flight during the landing phase? Were you a little hot, wind gust, misjudged the ground? Might help others to avoid a mishap on landing.

I have a P-51 TF Giant ARF to put together before I build a P-38. I have been acquiring all the necessary accessories for her for about a year now.

I am inspired by you to build a Zirolli P-38 and if I do pull the trigger, if you don't mind, I'll contact you regarding the do's and don't's before I order a thing for it.

I'll be watching for your updates and next P-38 flight. Good luck with the repairs and I know you'll do a top notch repair job too!

TTYL,

Mike
Old 04-01-2012, 10:46 AM
Find More Posts by bigdad1975
Flyin' Around
Joined Mar 2012
1 Posts
Fantastic build thread. I have a precision kit as well as plans and have been slooowly collecting parts to build my Ziroli P-38 this thread will help me alot. Thanks
bigdad1975 is offline Find More Posts by bigdad1975
Old 04-01-2012, 04:43 PM
RC 'Aholic!
Joined Jan 2006
2,175 Posts
Quote:
Hey Jim. Just read the entire thread, wow lots of information on the build. Your maiden flight looked soooooooooo cool. Sounded really good too! Your landing looked perfect! You do top notch work!!! I admire your workmanship and dedication to quality. You have done an amazing job on your P-38 !!!! I am sorry to hear about your second flight . Sounds like you are already getting her closer to flying again though! If I lived closer to you, I would want to meet you and see her in person and help in anyway I could.

If you don't mind, what caused the bounce on your second flight during the landing phase? Were you a little hot, wind gust, misjudged the ground? Might help others to avoid a mishap on landing.

I have a P-51 TF Giant ARF to put together before I build a P-38. I have been acquiring all the necessary accessories for her for about a year now.

I am inspired by you to build a Zirolli P-38 and if I do pull the trigger, if you don't mind, I'll contact you regarding the do's and don't's before I order a thing for it.

I'll be watching for your updates and next P-38 flight. Good luck with the repairs and I know you'll do a top notch repair job too!

TTYL,

Mike
Hey Mike, Thanks for the props.
The field I was flying at isn't flat. It's a sod farm that gets flooded every year. So it has mild moguls that cause these kinds of things. So it lifted in the air and I put it down just as gently as the first time. The booms still broke. Everyone who saw it said it wasn't a hard landing at all. There are a few build threads I read through that stated, the area of the boom is weak and to double up the fiberglass. I did and it still broke. My suggestion, if you don't want to go with the fiberglass booms, use spruce or basswood for the crutch instead of the hard balsa called out in the plans. Then double the area with additional plywood to make sure it won't break. I actually fixed it and got it flying again but the outer sheeting kept spider cracking so I went with the fiberglass, which I'd highly recommend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdad1975 View Post
Fantastic build thread. I have a precision kit as well as plans and have been slooowly collecting parts to build my Ziroli P-38 this thread will help me alot. Thanks
You're welcome bigDad, GLad I could help.
Old 04-01-2012, 04:49 PM
Find More Posts by scott m lyons
GOT GAS ?
Bennington VT.
Joined Aug 2008
6,798 Posts
Looking good Jim !! We will see it this year at GM3D fest right ?? Charlie's bringing his stearman and waco, it'd be nice for him to have someone to fly circles with....LOL !! I mean it I want it there.
scott m lyons is offline Find More Posts by scott m lyons
Old 04-02-2012, 12:28 AM
Joined Apr 2009
14 Posts
Hey Jim.

I agree, I would go with the fiberglass booms for sure. A question for you, did you think about using the Down & Locked electric landing gear rather than the air system? I am converting my Robarts air stuff over to the electric version by Down & Locked for my TF P-51 Giant.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 04-02-2012, 08:28 AM
RC 'Aholic!
Joined Jan 2006
2,175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott m lyons View Post
Looking good Jim !! We will see it this year at GM3D fest right ?? Charlie's bringing his stearman and waco, it'd be nice for him to have someone to fly circles with....LOL !! I mean it I want it there.

Circles and barrel rolls. Cant forget those. It will be there. I'm almost ready for paint.
Quote:
Hey Jim.

I agree, I would go with the fiberglass booms for sure. A question for you, did you think about using the Down & Locked electric landing gear rather than the air system? I am converting my Robarts air stuff over to the electric version by Down & Locked for my TF P-51 Giant.

Thanks,

Mike
Im really liking the electric stuff . Robart demo'd them at the WRAM show and how they stop working if fhey get jammed up.
I got mine before the electrics were available or i might have used them.

Quick Reply