logo
Old 12-12-2013, 03:10 PM
Find More Posts by fabmaster911
United States, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Apr 2008
460 Posts
Discussion
Picture of 30cc PilotRC control horns

I would like some pictures of the PilotRC 30cc control horns installed so I can see how they align with the hinge centerline. If I use the control horns I got my attachment point will be way ahead of the hinge line. Tony assured me that they were all the same no matter the size of the plane. As you can see if I use these the the control horn will run into the stab before full deflection. Obviously I haven't glued them in.
fabmaster911 is offline Find More Posts by fabmaster911
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 12-12-2013, 03:28 PM
Find More Posts by gapple12
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Aug 2006
4,561 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabmaster911 View Post
I would like some pictures of the PilotRC 30cc control horns installed so I can see how they align with the hinge centerline. If I use the control horns I got my attachment point will be way ahead of the hinge line. Tony assured me that they were all the same no matter the size of the plane. As you can see if I use these the the control horn will run into the stab before full deflection. Obviously I haven't glued them in.
I just built the Pilot 30cc 330SC for a buddy, all horns were right over the hinge line EXCEPT the rudder was past the hinge line. I ended up cutting the slot further back in the rudder to make it right. Plane flies awesome !!!! He loves it.

I bet its the slot in the wood, not the horn that's making it off. Try another horn just to be sure.
gapple12 is offline Find More Posts by gapple12
Last edited by gapple12; 12-12-2013 at 03:36 PM.
Old 12-12-2013, 03:38 PM
Find More Posts by TimBle
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Dec 2010
4,983 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabmaster911 View Post
This is normal. The horn is slightly too large as the same horns are used for the 50cc and 100cc aircraft.

You have to shave a bit off the top of the horn that goes into the Aileron/elevator.
I simply grind then down and at an angle that matches the opposite side of the control surface. Once yo u have ground/sanded the horns down they fit perfectly. I suggest you tape the two horns together and grind/sand them together.
TimBle is offline Find More Posts by TimBle
Old 12-12-2013, 04:39 PM
Find More Posts by fabmaster911
United States, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Apr 2008
460 Posts
I understand about the sanding them off bit but what about the horn hitting the stab when It isn't at full deflection? I can always adjust the throws so that doesn't happen but it doesn't make sense.
fabmaster911 is offline Find More Posts by fabmaster911
Old 12-12-2013, 05:17 PM
Joined Dec 2010
4,983 Posts
Once the horns are seated properly you will notice they cant backward slightly to follow the surface of the aileron or elevator. That provide sufficient clearance to get around 45 to 50 degrees of throw
Old 12-12-2013, 11:35 PM
Find More Posts by mchadwick63
They're all opinions!
Joined Nov 2009
368 Posts
The photo does not seem to show them seated fully. You may need to open the slot a bit to get them in fully.
mchadwick63 is offline Find More Posts by mchadwick63
Old 12-13-2013, 01:50 AM
Joined Dec 2010
4,983 Posts
If you make the slots deeper, you will break through to the other side. Grind the top of the horn off.
Old 12-14-2013, 10:22 AM
Find More Posts by bmclaughlin
United States, TX, Allen
Joined Mar 2008
1,052 Posts
time to bring out your dremel or a least a sanding block and elbow grease.

As mentioned you may take some off the end to get them to seat. use and exacto blade to make sure you don't have any "junk" in the slots in the elevators first.
Second you may need to slightly lengthen the same slot to get them over the hinge line and or trimming a little off those horns to move them back, will have no issue on a 30CC plane. Same horn running each half of my 40% Elevators.

Last to finally optimize for max throw you may also need to trim, sand, dremel the area on the horn right where it is touching the stab (assuming it still does). At that point you are probably closing in on 60% throw! Going to get more radical if that is not enough.
bmclaughlin is online now Find More Posts by bmclaughlin
Old 12-14-2013, 12:49 PM
Joined Dec 2010
4,983 Posts
The PRC 24% aircraft will 3D quite well with 35-40 degrees of throw. They ar much more sensitive to CG location than the bigger planes

Quick Reply