logo
Old 12-14-2011, 09:15 AM
Find More Posts by rcpilot82
KAD Laser Cutting
Western, pa, usa
Joined Mar 2006
3,084 Posts
Here are a few pics I took last night showing the center section sheeting and the servo wire guides for the elevator servos.
rcpilot82 is offline Find More Posts by rcpilot82
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 12-14-2011, 09:34 AM
Find More Posts by Smacka
United States, PA, Ridgway
Joined Jun 2008
2,571 Posts
Great project! Look forward to seeing a vid of the maiden
Smacka is offline Find More Posts by Smacka
Old 12-14-2011, 11:32 AM
Find More Posts by vsnap
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Jun 2006
2,224 Posts
Nice touch with the servo wire guides. One thing that would be nice is having the guides just built into the lower corners or sides of the formers. Just a buldge to the inside with the hole for the servo wire to pass through.

Looking good with that big cowl on the front. I am glad you were able to get that portion worked out.

Scott
vsnap is offline Find More Posts by vsnap
Old 12-14-2011, 11:40 AM
KAD Laser Cutting
Western, pa, usa
Joined Mar 2006
3,084 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsnap View Post
Nice touch with the servo wire guides. One thing that would be nice is having the guides just built into the lower corners or sides of the formers. Just a buldge to the inside with the hole for the servo wire to pass through.

Looking good with that big cowl on the front. I am glad you were able to get that portion worked out.

Scott
Yeah, for the production version, I am giong to add them in to the formers. I wasn't sure where I wanted to run the wires at first so this gave me the flexibility to see what worked best.

That cowl....what you are seeing is still the plug in process, I got pretty burnt out with it and needed to move on to something that would keep me going with it. It is a HUGE cowl, and being my first ever plug, it is quite a task.
Old 12-14-2011, 11:45 AM
Find More Posts by vsnap
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Jun 2006
2,224 Posts
Yea I know it is the plug, and a lot of work and sweat has gone into it. It will be a nice cowl once you get her finished up. Just 15min of sanding a day between glue drying and before you know it it will be done.
I tend to have multiple planes being built at once due to this. As I get bored with one process I fiddle with the other till one is ready to cover. Then I cover and start another while I finish the other if you know what I mean.
vsnap is offline Find More Posts by vsnap
Old 12-15-2011, 06:30 AM
Find More Posts by Krazy Karl
Southwest Pa.
Joined Nov 2006
4,003 Posts
Hey do you think a Pitts canopy would work?

Maybe we can get together after the holidays Rob. I'll call ya soon.
Krazy Karl is offline Find More Posts by Krazy Karl
Old 12-15-2011, 07:52 AM
KAD Laser Cutting
Western, pa, usa
Joined Mar 2006
3,084 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazy Karl View Post
Hey do you think a Pitts canopy would work?

Maybe we can get together after the holidays Rob. I'll call ya soon.

LOL, I hear you have a few laying around! Yeah we will have to get together again
Old 12-15-2011, 08:26 AM
Find More Posts by cavebear
Let the Next Crusade Begin
Donegal, PA
Joined May 2006
116 Posts
Whattup with the anti-Hitec propaganda??
cavebear is offline Find More Posts by cavebear
Old 12-15-2011, 08:52 AM
KAD Laser Cutting
Western, pa, usa
Joined Mar 2006
3,084 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavebear View Post
Whattup with the anti-Hitec propaganda??
readers digest version:

I bought Hitec servos thinking they were quality servos, Turns out they are not. Hitec has been selling these defective servos (79xx series are mostly affected) and the electronics in them are poorly designed. They will develop "jitter" after the pots are all pitted and welded from the G2 circuitry overdriving them to failure. The jitter then results in worn gear shaft pockets and a flying surface that looks like it is having a siezure. The end result is a servo that self destructs and creates an unsafe situation for anyone using them. All this has been proven in this thread: https://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/...40#post1618137

Hitec will not recall the servos and has a "don't care" attitude and is being very shady. My BRAND NEW servo started to jitter right out of the box. It also "jumped" with a long extension on it due to another failed part of the Hitec servo circuitry.

I refuse to knowingly install a defective product into what I have been building for over a year, and chance the plane becoming un-controllable and hurting or killing a person. Hitec has gone downhill and will not get any more of my cash. I have switched to SAVOX and right out of the box it is a day and night comparison between the two.

Sorry for the rant but something bad IS going to happen if hitec does not properly handle these defective servos. That will teach you to ask me questions, lol.

PM me your E-mail address so I can send ya some stuff on the wheel pants
Old 12-15-2011, 10:09 AM
Find More Posts by Smacka
United States, PA, Ridgway
Joined Jun 2008
2,571 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcpilot82 View Post
readers digest version:

I bought Hitec servos thinking they were quality servos, Turns out they are not. Hitec has been selling these defective servos (79xx series are mostly affected) and the electronics in them are poorly designed. They will develop "jitter" after the pots are all pitted and welded from the G2 circuitry overdriving them to failure. The jitter then results in worn gear shaft pockets and a flying surface that looks like it is having a siezure. The end result is a servo that self destructs and creates an unsafe situation for anyone using them. All this has been proven in this thread: https://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/...40#post1618137

Hitec will not recall the servos and has a "don't care" attitude and is being very shady. My BRAND NEW servo started to jitter right out of the box. It also "jumped" with a long extension on it due to another failed part of the Hitec servo circuitry.

I refuse to knowingly install a defective product into what I have been building for over a year, and chance the plane becoming un-controllable and hurting or killing a person. Hitec has gone downhill and will not get any more of my cash. I have switched to SAVOX and right out of the box it is a day and night comparison between the two.

Sorry for the rant but something bad IS going to happen if hitec does not properly handle these defective servos. That will teach you to ask me questions, lol.

PM me your E-mail address so I can send ya some stuff on the wheel pants
+1!!!

Sad part is, we ALL wanted Hitec to succeed and fix their flawed G2 circuitry. Until electronic savvy customers spoke out in numbers, Hitec refused to acknowledge they had a problem with their G2 circuitry servos.

Now, the path is crystal clear...pass the word all over the world about the flawed circuitry BECAUSE Hitec is now selling (continuing to do so as I write this) well known and documented defective servos!!!

Please pass the word to all of your respective clubs and fellow RC enthusiast!
Smacka is offline Find More Posts by Smacka
Old 12-15-2011, 11:58 PM
Find More Posts by orcf52501
Flyin' Around
ottumwa iowa
Joined Jun 2006
5 Posts
I had no idea that there was anyone else out there building this plane I'm building a 50% and will be coping bud dakes plane to a tee. I was best friends with ken love that was in bud plane when it went down . I grow up in blakesburg and as a kid years ago seems like a million I remember seeing bud fly his plane and come down that runway as fast as the plane would go and pull it to a straight up angle , let me tell you thats why I'm building one . yours looks awsome and wish you the best in building yours.
orcf52501 is offline Find More Posts by orcf52501
Old 12-16-2011, 10:24 AM
KAD Laser Cutting
Western, pa, usa
Joined Mar 2006
3,084 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by orcf52501 View Post
I had no idea that there was anyone else out there building this plane I'm building a 50% and will be coping bud dakes plane to a tee. I was best friends with ken love that was in bud plane when it went down . I grow up in blakesburg and as a kid years ago seems like a million I remember seeing bud fly his plane and come down that runway as fast as the plane would go and pull it to a straight up angle , let me tell you thats why I'm building one . yours looks awsome and wish you the best in building yours.
Welcome to the Monocoupe Club, lol. Never saw the bud dakes plans. how far along are you? what size engine are you planning on? weight?

I saw my first real monocoupe this year in AZ and it was awsome. I would have loved to see one all put together or even flying, but that oppourtunity has not come about yet.
Old 12-16-2011, 06:46 PM
Find More Posts by olddog1956
Joined Sep 2009
351 Posts
the black with ornge scolops on the wings made it a site to behold,, saw it at oshkosh and in st luoise miss bud and candy drake,,, can't spell just thinking of my friends that are gone ( sheet)
olddog1956 is offline Find More Posts by olddog1956
Old 12-17-2011, 01:01 PM
Find More Posts by Clipwing
Coastal N.Carolina
Joined Dec 2007
12 Posts
RCpilot,ORCF,&oldDog
heres one for you all,;one of the best of the best !!
1. is Bud Dake with his NX1161 at the Monocoupe Fly-in -Creve Coeur/St Louis 1992
what a great flying Coupe and Bud was a superb pilot....and my 1/4 scale version.

and yes ORCF, would like very much to hear more about your 50% Clipped wing project. Did you get out to Blakesburg this year to the AAA fly-in---13 Monocoupes on the flightline...EXCELLENT !!
keep working RCpilot, I'm following along!
Clipwing is offline Find More Posts by Clipwing
Old 12-24-2011, 08:26 AM
Find More Posts by Krazy Karl
Southwest Pa.
Joined Nov 2006
4,003 Posts
Still pickin balsa boogars Rob?
Krazy Karl is offline Find More Posts by Krazy Karl

Quick Reply