logo
Old 08-05-2012, 12:02 PM
Find More Posts by SleepyC
USA, OH, Aurora
Joined Jan 2006
30,070 Posts
Discussion
THMX 35% Extra 330 Sc - The Unofficial Manual...

Ok guys after working separately on two planes, building them with no instructions Full Spool and I remained in contact and collected the following info.

Here is the collection of that information. It should help to make this airplane a winner.At the end of the day, the plane does fly pretty darn nicely, and the price is right!

Quick tips...

1) Throw away the wheels and tail wheel. They are garbage. They might do "okay" on grass but on asphalt they lasted three flights. My tail wheel is seriously worn to the nub and one of my front wheels hubs broke causing a broken wheel pant. Even the front wheels rubber is worn down and basically destroyed after 3 landings! Any good 4" replacement will do.

2) CHECK the STABS Incidence! From what we can tell the root of the stab protruding from the fuse is correctly set at zero deg. Just make sure your stab lines up. Here is a shot of mine where it was from the factory, the top line represents where we have to move it.

3) The motor will need upthrust. Mine took 1.5 deg of upthrust, Chris said Full Spools was about the same. So we recommend starting with about a 1mm shim and going from there. It ended up being very close that 1mm of shim = 1 deg of thrust adjustment.

4)Using anything but a boat anchor for a motor you will most likely have to put your batteries up in the motor dome, next to the gas tank. Just start there when trying to find the CG.

5) The CG of the plane was sent at 190mm from the trailing edge of teh wing tip. THIS IS WRONG! We found the CG to be around 200 - 205mm from the trailing edge of the wing tip. The plane is not too forgiving with the CG. Moving the CG just a few mm really affected the balance. For my plane 190mm was unflyable, 195mm was completely tail heavy but 200 mm was fine and 203mm was spot on.

5) Mount the motor using the attached diagram. This diagram is correct:
(download the pdf named EXTRA330SC Model (1).pdf and print it at 1:1 scale)

6) If you are not using cans, this is the most logical place to mount the throttle servo:

Quick video:
Jc120 throttle setup on thmx (0 min 43 sec)

- Know that the plane is a floater, it will float for days on landing. But getting the CG and the incidence set should help it out.

- I have a DA-100 on mufflers and the plane has TONS of vertical. You guys with the 110'a and 120's will have a foamy on your hands.

- I weighed my plane last night and it came in at 27.1 lbs. The plane flys much lighter.

- The plane is short coupled which makes it tumble well and it will wind-up like a drill bit in KE spins and pop tops. To tame it I'd recommend the following rates:

LOW:
ELE: 13 - 15 deg with 30 - 35 % expo
AIL: 15 - 18 deg with 30 - 40% expo
RUD: 75% max throw... (expo is user choice)

High:
ELE: MAX THROW - 50+ % expo
AIL: 25 - 30 deg with 50+% expo
RUD: MAX THROW

OK.. if Full Spool or I think of anything else I will add it.
For pictures of the build click HERE

To check out the pricing deals and contact THMX about buying a plane click HERE

SleepyC is offline Find More Posts by SleepyC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 08-05-2012, 03:17 PM
Find More Posts by Bunky F. Knuckle
Just your Average Joe.
Joined Jan 2006
9,237 Posts
I do HIGHLY recommend checking all incidences on any and all airplanes, despite being a kit build, Composite airframe, or ARF. People do screw up from time to time. Also, it is OK to contact the factory, builder or company with issues that you have found. This is the only way that they can make a PERFECT airframe for us, the consumer.

Other than that, these airframes are VERY straight forward. They fly real smooth, and predictable. Get in line!!!!!
Bunky F. Knuckle is offline Find More Posts by Bunky F. Knuckle
Old 08-05-2012, 03:32 PM
Find More Posts by Vital-Rc
Free Agent
United States, KY, Glasgow
Joined Oct 2010
1,411 Posts
Reserved......
Vital-Rc is offline Find More Posts by Vital-Rc
Old 08-05-2012, 06:02 PM
Just your Average Joe.
Joined Jan 2006
9,237 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyC View Post
5) The CG of the plane was sent at 190mm from the trailing edge of teh wing tip. THIS IS WRONG! We found the CG to be around 200 - 205mm from the trailing edge of the wing tip. The plane is not too forgiving with the CG. Moving the CG just a few mm really affected the balance. For my plane 190mm was unflyable, 195mm was completely tail heavy but 200 mm was fine and 203mm was spot on.

OK.. if Full Spool or I think of anything else I will add it.
For pictures of the build click HERE

To check out the pricing deals and contact THMX about buying a plane click HERE

We balanced yours at 7.5" or 190mm. It was balanced neutral. Lets give a range for CG of 180-200mm from the TE of the wing on the tip. 10mm or 3/8" doesn't seem like a great amount, but with this airplane as short coupled as it is, it doesn't need to be tail heavy. Also, low wing aircraft need to be balanced inverted. This is something that we didn't do, but I told Sleepy that if it feels like it is going to drop the tail at low speeds, I'll harrier land it.
Old 08-05-2012, 07:39 PM
Find More Posts by SleepyC
USA, OH, Aurora
Joined Jan 2006
30,070 Posts
Bunk.. we moved it .75 inches from the 190 mark. Remember we moved out our fingers almost an inch past. That is why I worked it at 200 - 205. We were 10mm past the 190 when it was level.
SleepyC is offline Find More Posts by SleepyC
Old 08-05-2012, 08:23 PM
Just your Average Joe.
Joined Jan 2006
9,237 Posts
Yes, we did. I forgot about that. You are 100% right!

Quick Reply