logo
This thread is privately moderated by niccolo98, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old 02-08-2007, 07:47 PM
Find More Posts by Ion01
Grad of CrazyGoNuts Univ.
Oklahoma City, OK
Joined Jan 2006
843 Posts
Re: Not taken seriously!?

I hate to say it but it is your age. Some people think that all teens are stupid and rebels.
At 23 when I went to get a lown for my house the banks kept trying to tell me I couldn't afford the loan I wanted. It got to the point I had to tell them to stop talking and go look at my credit report. When they finally did they tried to get me to get a much bigger loan than I wanted.
Ion01 is offline Find More Posts by Ion01
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2007, 07:58 PM
Find More Posts by jaguar bone
balsa, glue & gas
United States, FL, Winter Garden
Joined Jun 2006
3,044 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ion01 View Post
I hate to say it but it is your age. Some people think that all teens are stupid and rebels.
At 23 when I went to get a lown for my house the banks kept trying to tell me I couldn't afford the loan I wanted. It got to the point I had to tell them to stop talking and go look at my credit report. When they finally did they tried to get me to get a much bigger loan than I wanted.
Yeah, your tender age(s) makes a difference. As you get older - the outward reactions to your "obsession confession" may be a bit more subtle but, be assured, the same type of rejection will persist only now with a greater "when the hell will you ever grow up?" underlying personal assessment will be present.
The only difference between Men & Boys is the price of their toys. Never more true than in the context of our toy planes. We can only show em' how un-toy like they truly are.

As if -- getting greasy under a car or chasing a ball is more manly??
jaguar bone is offline Find More Posts by jaguar bone
Old 02-08-2007, 08:17 PM
Find More Posts by 66stang
Fly it like you hate it!
Collinsville, IL
Joined Jan 2006
4,925 Posts

Don't sweat the small stuff. I was into model trains and my buddies gave me crap. But I really didn't care. I also had one of the fast cars in High School so it all evened out. I never was a follower, I kinda made my own way. This stuff never botherd me. Only once when I was with my girlfriend did a friend say some crap. For what ever reason it struck a nerve and I layed him out in his driveway. My girlfriend told me that it was way over due for that guy.
66stang is offline Find More Posts by 66stang
Old 02-08-2007, 08:25 PM
Find More Posts by 50%plane
Suspended Account
North Mexico
Joined Jan 2006
21,384 Posts

www.toysanamous.com

50%plane is offline Find More Posts by 50%plane
Reply With Quote  (Disabled) Quick reply to this message (Disabled)
Old 02-08-2007, 08:48 PM
Find More Posts by mikeh
United States, WI, Green Bay
Joined Mar 2006
576 Posts

My dad was taking me to the flying field when I was 3. I remember building planes out of his scrap balsa would, and watching him build. I was so interested on how they went together. I still going flying with my dad to this day. It was the best thing he has ever done for me. As I got older my buddies thought I was crazy because I would have rather went flying with my old man than to hang out with them. I still get sh!t from my buddies, especially when I tell them the money that is invested a RC model. I just tell them not to spend a hundred or two in the bars weekly and they could get one. They shutup right there. It isn't going to matter how old you are, if your not in the RC community your going to get some slack.
mikeh is offline Find More Posts by mikeh
Old 02-09-2007, 12:18 AM
Find More Posts by darren b
United States, AZ, Prescott
Joined Oct 2006
17 Posts

Glad to see this subject come up!

i've been "playing" with "toy airplanes" since junior high, and have enjoyed the ride. Along the way i've encountered extraordinary people that lead me in positive directions in my life.

The negative stigma of R/C airplanes as a proxy for full scale, or a hobby for simpletons is ill deserved. i operate a research instrument at an R&D facility for a major semi-conductor mfg, and still find near limitless challenge and enjoyment in the hobby.

To the younger crowd, i was an outsider too, so i can sympathize. But you can use the hobby as a gauge. Anyone who immediately responds with the "that's gay" mentality may turn out to be overly shallow and focused only on perception or status. Those that recognize the intellect, mechanical apptitude, patience and discipline the hobby commands is probably a person of character. In my experience, the latter two will take you much further in life than trying to fake your way through the crowd.

But don't get myopically focused on the hobby either, trust me. Use your time (and money) to enjoy all the other things, and more importantly, people, in life. It's a long road, enjoy the good people travelling with you.

i'm glad i had the foresight to wait to get married and find someone that doesn't bitch about, or feel threatened by my hobby. She comes home from work to a heli or new ARF set up on the kitchen island and it's not a big deal. We have too much fun in the meantime.

Anyway, i'm off my soapbox now... Glad to see i haven't been alone all this time!

dMb
darren b is offline Find More Posts by darren b
Old 02-09-2007, 12:33 AM
Find More Posts by Toro
Joined Jan 2006
2,431 Posts

I take some heat @ work for doing what I do... I work in a field that is filled with guys that like to heckle, and make fun of what you do on your time off... Doesnt matter if its bull riding, sky diving, or flying models... I have quieted most of them down, as I take my T-REX inside the station, and fly it around the day room... I have about 4 converts now 2 heli guys, and 2 fixed wingers... My EVIL Plan is working !!!!
Toro is offline Find More Posts by Toro
Old 02-09-2007, 12:35 AM
Find More Posts by pitviper51
Burn Gas.. Bend wings.
Kentucky
Joined Apr 2006
9,354 Posts

well said darren!, i have to say im border line the guy that let the hobby control my life haha, seeing i have many expensive hobby doesnt help... then yet,, im single haha tho the chicks i do know respect the hobbies mostly cuz they have the same of a few i enjoy to.. hope some day some thing will come of that... but thats a differnt thread
mike
pitviper51 is offline Find More Posts by pitviper51
Old 02-09-2007, 01:28 AM
Find More Posts by RADRICH
Hmmm...tastes like chicken!!!!
Louisville,KY
Joined Jan 2007
632 Posts

Well said. page me
RADRICH is offline Find More Posts by RADRICH
Old 02-09-2007, 04:20 AM
Find More Posts by Mike East
Nederland, Texas
Joined Mar 2006
65 Posts

Screw Em,
I fly for me... I don't care what other people think about what I do. AS you grow up what other people "think" will mean less and less to you..

However, I do REALLY enjoy the friends I have made that share my interest in the hobby.
Mike East is offline Find More Posts by Mike East
Old 02-09-2007, 06:33 AM
Find More Posts by Fly-guy
Mother Huckin' Pro Bro
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Jan 2006
488 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike East View Post
Screw Em,
I fly for me... I don't care what other people think about what I do. AS you grow up what other people "think" will mean less and less to you..

However, I do REALLY enjoy the friends I have made that share my interest in the hobby.

I was trying to find a way to say just that about an hour ago and gave up

WELL SAID!!

I will add too that everything all you guys have said about not being taken very serioulsy at school happens right here as well.....
Fly-guy is offline Find More Posts by Fly-guy
Old 02-10-2007, 08:42 AM
Ian
Find More Posts by Ian
Ian
Pro Crasherer
Cambridge, England!
Joined Apr 2006
676 Posts

I started out flying when i was 12 (now 17), this is also our first year in secondary school, and i was proud of what i did, i told everyone! And through the usual rough and tumble of early secondary school, slowly i stopped telling everyone, they all thought it was lame, geeky, all that sorta stuff. I dont care, i love flying and i wouldnt stop doing it for anything, but i stopped taling about it, and it shut a lot of people up. Now i only tell my best buddies that i fly, even then, they thought it was a bit lame, but i flew my EF Extra 300 for them, and they thought it was awesome.

They said it to me open, "say you fly RC planes, anyone will say your a geek, but show them, its AWESOME!"

I think age has a lot to do with it, when your 12, its a big race to be cool right? and flying RC planes just isnt cool (to the people that dont do it)! now all my friends are 17/18, its not like that, and its more accepted, even if its a little lame still to them, but of course i never get to show them flying.

Still, i dont tell anyone!

Ian
Ian is offline Find More Posts by Ian
Old 02-10-2007, 11:56 AM
Find More Posts by harv
it wont go any lower
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Feb 2006
2,920 Posts

when ever i tell someone i fly rc, they instantly think "air hogs" then from there on. loooong story, and they still dont under stand. but alll of my friends know me that im on like an RC airplane drug. i cant have enough.

harv
harv is offline Find More Posts by harv
Old 02-10-2007, 12:53 PM
Find More Posts by airborneSGT
Pimpalicious
Germany, BY, Bamberg
Joined May 2006
2,241 Posts

I started my construction company a little less than a year ago. At the time I thought I was a young General Contractor (25) but at my class we had kids as young as 18. So in theory an 18 year old kid - so long as he had the 4 years of required experience - could be the overall boss of say a 10 story building.

If you think about it, for all who have been in the military, you realize we were kids given more responsibility and control of deadly weapons systems the likes of which most people will never encounter. In the Infantry if you screwed up you could kill not only yourself, but the rest of your team, squad, or possibly platoon.

For the same reason we fly "toy" airplanes, others have much more expensive and just as impractical diversions. The boats that cost nearly as much as a house that go out of their slip once a year, the cars that cost more than a house that drive a few hundred miles a month, gambling, I mean the list goes on and on.

Tony Hawk still skates right....and has a family and kids. Some guys get paid millions to have a band, others jam out in local bars and clubs and make nothing

We could always do like the Afghanis do for fun - rock throwing competitions. I seriously have pictures of that.
airborneSGT is offline Find More Posts by airborneSGT
Old 02-10-2007, 07:25 PM
Find More Posts by niccolo98
Greenland
Joined Jun 2006
750 Posts

Wow! I really am not the only one!
niccolo98 is offline Find More Posts by niccolo98

Quick Reply