Old 05-10-2011, 10:51 AM
Find More Posts by rcflying53
Airliner Huckin'
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Sep 2010
488 Posts
Deleted
rcflying53 is offline Find More Posts by rcflying53
Last edited by rcflying53; 08-10-2011 at 02:55 PM. Reason: Someone got their panties in a jam about my view on ALPA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2011, 06:40 AM
Find More Posts by Ohio AV8TOR
Just Do It
United States, OH, Delaware
Joined Apr 2008
1,538 Posts
Not current right now but have single engine w/instrument and rotor. 2400+ hours in single mostly in a Piper Arrow that I owned for 16 years and 2100 hours all in a OH-58 helicopter in the National Guard.
Ohio AV8TOR is offline Find More Posts by Ohio AV8TOR
Old 05-18-2011, 02:26 PM
Find More Posts by jjonas
Westminster, CO, USA
Joined Jan 2009
48 Posts
~35hrs in gliders. Just need a couple more to take my checkride. Practicing towline breaks @300AGL is still a bit nerve-racking. I took an opportunity to get an intro flight to mountain soaring over the Tetons last fall. There's nothing like soaring right next to mountains and letting the eagles help you find lift. We released at 10,000ft and were able to climb over 13k and stayed up for over 2hrs.

Also got an hour with an instructor in a Pitts 2B. I was surprised at how comfortable it felt (except for the flat spin ).

I'm not sure where to take this recreational activity from here...Do I finish off the glider license (I'd really like to ride a mountain wave), go for PPL? I really enjoyed the aerobatics and I'd like to do it again, but if I take up full-scale flying, I'd likely have to give up other hobbies (e.g. RC)...
jjonas is offline Find More Posts by jjonas
Old 05-21-2011, 09:44 AM
Find More Posts by vsnap
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Jun 2006
2,224 Posts
Finish the glider rating, you have it almost done and it will help with some full scale flying. And no you dont have to give up RC you just may shrink your fleet and aircraft size down a little.
vsnap is offline Find More Posts by vsnap
Old 05-22-2011, 01:15 PM
Find More Posts by WhirlyGirl
I love IMAC!
United States, CA, Penn Valley
Joined May 2006
793 Posts
Man, I miss flying!

I have about 110 hrs TT, PPL - SEL

Did most of my training in a C-152 and then flew C-172's, Warriors, and Archers after I got my license and people wanted joy rides. I haven't flown since we started a family. That's gonna change soon, I hope.

I do have some fun experiences in a Decathlon, J-3 Cub, Aeronca Champ, AT-6 Texan, Piper Tri-Pacer, and a CGS Hawk.

My husband and I want to build an RV-8 together.

Some day, I'd love a ride in an old biplane and a P-51...and an L-29 or L-39 while I dreaming...
WhirlyGirl is offline Find More Posts by WhirlyGirl
Old 07-30-2011, 12:38 AM
Find More Posts by SpartanExec
Custom User Title
United States, OR, Happy Valley
Joined Jun 2011
232 Posts
I have about 200 or so unofficial hours, from age 12 to age 17 I lived right down the road from a retired Delta pilot named Ben that owned his own private airport and many, many planes. I would do odd jobs around the field in exchange for flight time. He was like a second father to me and would take me to all the airshows. Here are a few of the 30 or so planes he owned that I got to help work on and fly:

BC3 SeaBee with Franklin engine (Used to buzz the nudists on the sand island in the river all the time)
Cessna Airmaster beautifully restored.
Cessna 195 all polished with yellow trim
Piper Super Cub
Cessna 180 with illegal IO 540 with a modified cam. Would climb at 3500 fpm
Yak 52 (this is the plane that I got all my aerobatic flight in, an amazing aircraft, also that plane that Ben died in)

Ben's pride and joy was a Spartan Executive, the last one ever built, number 34. It was my job to keep the plane polished and waxed for the shows and I got to fly it with Ben to Oshkosh. There is nothing quite like sitting behind a P&W 985 and feeling and hearing the rumble.

Several years ago Ben was out with his son in his Yak 52, when an aileron pushrod failed upon approach and the plane rolled and then stalled about 150ft off the ground. Both Ben and his son were killed instantly.
The Scary part is that I was supposed to go flying with him that day but my mom wouldn't let me because I was behind on school. I have not flown since but am going up with a friend in an RV6 sometime next week.

Right now I am very much into 3D and aerobatic flying, but at some point in my life, I want to build a scale Spartan Executive with a moki radial done up just like number 34 in honer of Ben.
SpartanExec is offline Find More Posts by SpartanExec
Old 08-10-2011, 01:20 PM
Find More Posts by boosted180
Joined May 2010
96 Posts
i just got back from an airshow and talked to a guy who is the owner/ builder of a sonex and i'm *really* interested in getting my own. i have about 6 hours in a cessna 172 a few years ago. i was going for my ppl, but quit training b/c of time/ cost. but now i've really got the itch to get back into it and finish up - except this time with my own sonex instead of renting a 172 (which i've never liked much in the first place). also the sonex would allow me to get a light sports license instead of a ppl. can someone tell me what the exact requirements are? how much time/ money would i save and the advantages/ disadvantages of light sports vs. private pilot? thanks!

brian
boosted180 is offline Find More Posts by boosted180
Old 08-10-2011, 02:03 PM
Find More Posts by wings19
3D Heli Turned IMAC
United States, TX, Friendswood
Joined May 2006
293 Posts
900 TT
CPL (SEL, MEL), CFI, CFII

Instructed at a college for about 2 years until I decided that I wasn't going to be able to make any money being a pilot. I've since moved on to UAV's and have been flying those for about 1.5yr now. A couple months ago I returned from Afghanistan where I flew our UAV's. It was a great experience.

I currently fly a buddy's restored C-140 and Super Decathlon often, give flight reviews and IPC's whenever I can. Basically I try to be an airport whore on the weekends when I'm not IMACing at the RC field.
wings19 is offline Find More Posts by wings19
Old 08-10-2011, 04:52 PM
Find More Posts by jwilliams
Happy contrails
Near Louisville, KY
Joined Jan 2006
3,822 Posts
Nobody makes any money when they are starting out in aviation.
Jeff Williams
jwilliams is offline Find More Posts by jwilliams
Old 08-10-2011, 06:12 PM
Find More Posts by citrus
United States, CO, Evergreen
Joined May 2006
646 Posts
Yeah but, there is a looming pilot shortage.
citrus is offline Find More Posts by citrus
Old 08-10-2011, 08:45 PM
Find More Posts by wings19
3D Heli Turned IMAC
United States, TX, Friendswood
Joined May 2006
293 Posts
You have to pay your dues for awhile before you start making money but I like UAV's too and I make enough to fly for fun on the side so it works out.
wings19 is offline Find More Posts by wings19
Old 08-11-2011, 10:08 PM
Find More Posts by Sukhoikid
Team Futaba
Joined Jan 2006
11,594 Posts
I am entering my senior year of college now at Embry-Riddle. Luckily I have options after college between being a pilot, air traffic control, or work in the UAV Field. Aeronautics Major with UAV Minor ATC Minor Dispatch Minor.

Currently have 270 total flight time with 90 hours pic multi time. Commercial Multi/Single Instrument Multi/Single. Complex High performance. With the shortage coming up soon I could easily get a low paying flying job I guess. Well nothing is easy! But undecided if I want to go that route, I am about to start working on my CFIs now. I know flying is something I have always wanted to do since I was a young kid and I am happy to have stuck with my dreams. You gotta love it to do it!
Honestly though they are about to hire a ton of Air Traffic Controllers in 2011 2012 and 2013 and they are mainly taking Credited Schools Students like Embry-Riddle Students or other colleges with a approved program. So I am def taking the ATSAT and applying for ATC.

What I will tell anyone new getting into this....A. You gotta love it to do it! B. Work at a local airport for a year or two to get involved in the environment and get the lingo down. C. Find a flight school that fits you and your needs. D. Have fun, its the best feeling in the world to take a plane up for the first time solo, and before you know it you will be a commercial rated pilot!
Sukhoikid is offline Find More Posts by Sukhoikid
Old 08-11-2011, 10:13 PM
Find More Posts by Sukhoikid
Team Futaba
Joined Jan 2006
11,594 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilliams View Post
Nobody makes any money when they are starting out in aviation.
Jeff Williams
Unless your a lucky one! But those are rare! Several friends I know that have just got jobs and they are able to qualify for food stamps I believe.
Sukhoikid is offline Find More Posts by Sukhoikid
Old 08-12-2011, 01:36 AM
Find More Posts by RedFishTom
Suspended Account
Rockledge, FL
Joined Sep 2007
60 Posts
The problem in the industry is we accept low paying jobs just to fly. With all your experience and education it is embarrassing to accept regional payrates. If you want to make money stick to ATC and fly on the side for fun. That way your favorite doesn't become a job. Moral is low everywhere( except SWA). Mergers stink and management does not care about you. When you get hired you get an employee number ex. E1234. That is all u are a number. Hard to swallow but it's true. But then again I am posting this from Amsterdam. After 13 years nothing has changed for the better in this field.
RedFishTom is offline Find More Posts by RedFishTom
Reply With Quote  (Disabled) Quick reply to this message (Disabled)

Quick Reply