logo

Aeroworks 30cc Freestyle Extra 260 QB-L Quick Build - Light

Aeroworks has been at the top of the ARF game for quite a while. They represent one of the few ARF manufacturers that regularly have airplanes competing in world class IMAC events such as Clover Creek, The Tucson Aerobatic Shootout and the XFC.
Aeroworks has also been one of the early adopters of the 30cc engine size. Several popular 30cc sized planes were brought out last year and were said to fly great. But Aeroworks, one to never rest on their laurels wanted to take the 30cc market to the next level. So this fall they released the 30cc Freestyle Extra 260 QB-L. The "QB-L" stands for Quick Build - Light and let me tell you the airplane is exactly that!

Splash

Product Review:
Aeroworks 30cc Freestyle Extra 260 QB-L Quick Build - Light

Perspective By:
SleepyC

Manufacturer Contact:
Aeroworks
4903 Nome Street
Denver Colorado 80239
P:303-371-4222
F:303-371-4320 info@aero-works.net

Manufacturer Website:

www.aero-works.net

FlyingGiants Ratings:

Packaging:
Kit Quality:
Ease of Build:
Huckability:
Overall:
Introduction

Highslide JS       Highslide JS

Aeroworks has been at the top of the ARF game for quite a while. They represent one of the few ARF manufacturers that regularly have airplanes competing in world class IMAC events such as Clover Creek, The Tucson Aerobatic Shootout and the XFC.
Aeroworks has also been one of the early adopters of the 30cc engine size. Several popular 30cc sized planes were brought out last year and were said to fly great. But Aeroworks, one to never rest on their laurels wanted to take the 30cc market to the next level. So this fall they released the 30cc Freestyle Extra 260 QB-L. The "QB-L" stands for Quick Build - Light and let me tell you the airplane is exactly that!

Out of the Box:

Highslide JS Highslide JS Highslide JS Highslide JS

The plane comes in one compact box. The box is actually a double box system, and seems to protect the contents very nicely. The plane was delivered by FedEx which may have helped it get to me in one piece as well, since it was not subjected to UPS's professional package smashing system. Upon opening the box I was pleased to find everything securely packed and bubble wrapped.The wings, the stabs, the fuse,the cowl pretty much everything is individually wrapped and protected. Most of the parts are actually secured to the box with tape to prevent any movement during shipment.

Besides the actual airplane parts, Aeroworks includes a ton of extras for you. All the hardware you will need (and it is all useable!) a fuel tank, foam to mount the fuel tank and electronics, zip ties to secure the tank, velcro wrap to secure your batteries and electronics. It's really a complete kit.

My favorite item included was the "CG Buddy". I think that every airplane should come with a CG Buddy. I'll get into it more later in teh review, but honestly this little addition is awesome and will insure a successful CG for your first flight.

Product Specifications

Wing Span 79 inches.
Wing Area 1175 sq. in.
Fuse Length (Rudder to Front of Cowl) 66"
Fuse Length (Rudder to Front of Spinner) 69"
Cowl Width 8.5"
Spinner 3"
Weight 10.5 to 11 pounds
Engine 30cc to 35cc Gas
Radio 4 Channels minimum
Equipment used:
Mintor 33cc Gasoline Engine from Top Dawg RC
Futaba 9155 Servos
Hitec Aurora 9
Hitec Optima 7 Receiver
Fortitude 16oz RTU Gas Tank
Gens Ace Life Batteries 2300 rec, 1600 ign mHa
Zoar 20 x 8 wooden prop

Assembly:

Being that the plane is a QB (Quick Build) I can not call this section "Building". Honestly all one has to do is bolt the airplane together. Everything is sorted out for you. Every part fits to every part, and the screws just slide into place and need to be tightened down.

I read through the manual which comes on a computer disk. I actually uploaded the manual onto my imac to the icloud. I then was able to view the manual on my ipad making for a very convenient reference tool.

I started the assembly by getting the plane on it's feet. I do this with every plane I assemble/build as it gets the fuse off the table and leaves less of a chance of accidentally causing any hanger rash while assembling the plane. The entire gear assembly went together in a few minutes. Even the wheel pants are pre-drilled and the blind nuts installed. After getting the tail wheel was attached, I was into the assembly for ten minutes and the plane was sitting pretty.

The next items I assembled were the main wings. The wings come pre-hinged and have servo wire pulling leads installed in them. All that was needed to do was glue in the carbon fiber control horns with epoxy, insert the servos (with the proper length servo leads) pull the servo lead through with the included guide string, pre-drill the servo holes, add a little CA to each hole to harden the wood, and install the servos. Pop on your servo horn and instal the control rod. Done. Total time 20 minutes.

Highslide JS 1 Highslide JS 2 Highslide JS 3 Highslide JS 4

Next I installed the rudder with the help and approval of my dog Harold. Just glue in the control horn with epoxy and glue in the hinges. Quick tip. To keep the hinges from getting glue in them, I dab on some petroleum jelly, and then put a lighter next to the hinge. This melts the jelly into the hinge and will make it virtually impossible to glue the hinge solid. (See attached)

Next up I assembled the stabs. The stabs are pre hinged and basically just need the control horns glued in and hardware installed. At this point I mounted the servos for stabs which go into the fuse in the rear just below the mounting point of each stab. This is where I hit the only snag in the entire build. I'm not sure if it's the size of the servos I used (Futaba 9155's) but the back of the servos touched each other. This would not allow me to snug down the servos. I remedied the problem by using a few extra Dubro servo grommets behind the back side of each servo. This allowed enough clearance to snug down the servo screws and secure the servos properly. (See pic) After the servos were in, the stabs slid on a stab tube and were secured with a few bolts. I then attached the control rods and the stabs were complete.

Next I checked that the rudder glue was dry. It was, so I mounted the rudder servo in the provided location and started to run the pull-pull cables. With some airplanes this process can be a guessing game. Trying to figure out where the rudder cables will exit the fuse, which usually ends up with extra or at the very least elongated holes. But not with this plane. The cable exit holes are pre-cut. Just attach the cables to the rudder, run them through the holes and attach them to the proper sized rudder arm. I chose here to use spot-on RC rudder cable clasps which assist in making a nice tidy connection to the rudder servo, and allow you to tension the cables in a very prices manner. The kit comes with everything you need, and these clasps were not necessary, but I had them, and I like them, so I used them!

Highslide JS 5 Highslide JS 6 Highslide JS 7 Highslide JS 8

Next up I started to get the plane flight ready. That entailed mounting the Mintor 33cc motor I received from Top Dawg Aviation. The motor is a work of art and would be well served to be left uncovered as a working piece of art, but I always have to have a tidy plane, so the cowl must be mounted! Adorning the Mintor is a JTEC Pitt's style muffler to keep everything clean and somewhat quiet. Mounting the motor was very uneventful. Aeroworks provides several templates for some popular engine choices. The Mintor was not one of them, but AW also includes a "blank" motor template which has the offset and center marked. I simply found and printed a Montor template, matched it to the blank engine mounting template and worked from there. The end result was a perfectly centered motor. The standoff's that come with the Mintor 33 were 3" long and I ended up needing around 4mm to get the prop hub to be properly spaced to the cowl. I simply glues the 2mm blank template to the firewall and added a few washers to make up the rest of the needed space. Again the result was a perfectly centered spinner that was a perfect 1/8 inch from the front of the cowl.
I also mounted the ign battery on the left side of the motor box and the Mintor's ignition on the right. Everything fit perfectly and made for a very clean install.

I then started to cut out the cowl with the provided template for motor cooling. The template helps you make 3 cooling holes that will direct cool air right onto the motors cooling fins. This is a nice touch, as the holes are the perfect size and look great. I then added a nice hole that allowed the pitts muffler to come through the cowl, and allow enough of an exit to help draw the cool air through the cowl. Again, everything worked out great and everything fit perfectly.

Next I had to mount the throttle servo. Obviously with each motor this location will change, so after a little head scratching I found the perfect spot and glued in the included servo box and set up a really nice short throttle linkage. It's very responsive and there is absolutely no slop.

Now getting back to the CG buddy. So far I had used the information and suggestions from AW to place most of the electronics in the plane, but as we all know, each airplane can be a tiny bit different and so most of the time people's installs of their receiver batteries and rec and such will vary. To help you out, Aeroworks includes the greatest tool ever. The "CG Buddy". All you need to do to make sure you are installing your gear in the right place is slide the CG Buddy over your wing tube, slide the wings on and hold the handle. If the plane hangs level, you are in perfect shape and a very neutral CG for your first flight. There is no guess work. You toss in your electrical equipment, pick up the CG buddy, if the plane doesn't hang level, move the stuff around and try it again. When it's level, secure the gear. Your done!

Highslide JS 9 Highslide JS 10 Highslide JS 11 Highslide JS 12

Performance:

Here is the short and sweet. This plane can do it all! From precise IMAC practice to full-on crazy 3D, this plane can handle it. For a 30cc plane, the airframe is quite large but it is light. This is the perfect combo! A floaty plane that can also be solid as a rock.
I've been having a hard time getting someone to go out to the field with me, so my pictures are minimal, or taken from my friend Jason Danhakl's flight. We talked about the plane quite a bit and we both a agree this thing is awesome. My plane came in at 11.3 lbs and with the Mintor 33, was a rocket. Jason's was about the same weight but he has the Mintor 38cc and it's basically a foamie.The performance is insane.

I have my CG just a touch behind the CG buddy level setting, and it is rock solid in harriers and rolling maneuvers. I have not had a ton of stick time this year, and I have to say that this plane made me feel confidant and actually made me look like a much better pilot than I am.

Highslide JS Highslide JS Highslide JS Highslide JS Highslide JS Highslide JS Highslide JS
Instead of going on and on with the typical review rhetoric, here is the deal. This plane rocks. You need one. Everyone needs one. It's really that awesome.

Here is my Camera on the wingtip video, and Jason's 3D nastyness video.

Enjoy. Jason Danhakl - Mintor 38

Stephen Cinch - Mintor 33

Tips for Success:

The best tip I can give you is follow the detailed instructions. Aeroworks did a great job providing the owner with a ton of good advice and assembly pictures. Read through the manual first, and you may not even need to look at it again.
Watch for the stab servos touching their backs, and space out the rear of the servo if you ned to.

Use the CG buddy! It is AWESOME!

You will need a 3" Spinner. That is the one thing I wish was included with the kit. And is my only complaint.

Highslide JS Highslide JS Highslide JS
Conclusion

Aeroworks has issued in a new era of 30cc plane. They are large, light and fly great. The QB-L 30cc 260 will fit into almost any normal passenger car which makes it the perfect after work or quick morning flight plane. But, it will also tear it up all day long if you wish. The ability to throw the plane into a car with a can of gas, a small assortment of tools and just go fly is what really makes this plane great. As much as I love the bigger planes, Aeroworks is making it hard for me to justify having anything more then these new 30cc QB-L planes. They are AWESOME! No joke.. you want one. Go get it!

Aeroworks
4903 Nome Street
Denver Colorado 80239
P:303-371-4222
F:303-371-4320 info@aero-works.net www.aero-works.net
Old 10-29-2012, 12:20 PM
Find More Posts by spaul813
Xtreme-Graphics
United States, OK, Oklahoma City
Joined Nov 2011
128 Posts
Nice review. My buddy has one of these planes with the new DLE 55ra and it too is a rocket and will do anything you want it to. Nice plane....he loves it!
spaul813 is offline Find More Posts by spaul813
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2012, 05:10 PM
Find More Posts by Spridal
Joined May 2010
591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaul813 View Post
Nice review. My buddy has one of these planes with the new DLE 55ra and it too is a rocket and will do anything you want it to. Nice plane....he loves it!
Wow a DLE55! Any issues with CG or vibration?
Spridal is offline Find More Posts by Spridal
Old 10-30-2012, 12:26 AM
Find More Posts by furballll
Canada, BC, Kelowna
Joined Jan 2010
60 Posts
is the fuse set up for a pipe or can muffler? cause jasons needs one. i fly in a fairly noise sensitive club due to being next to a residential area. the flight performance of the plane is nuts for sure, harriers looked rock solid and stable for sure. aeroworks quality has always been there.
furballll is offline Find More Posts by furballll
Old 10-30-2012, 08:28 AM
Find More Posts by komrom
Cut Em' Loose!
Milwaukee, WI
Joined Jan 2009
274 Posts
Anyone know the width of the servo rudder horn required? I need to order one and forgot to measure it last night at home.
komrom is offline Find More Posts by komrom
Old 10-30-2012, 10:08 AM
Find More Posts by ericb
Team WTFO
USA, SD, Worthing
Joined Mar 2006
9,612 Posts
My rudder horns are 2.75" apart. I am using the 2.5" holes on my arm and it works well for me.
ericb is offline Find More Posts by ericb
Old 10-30-2012, 12:04 PM
Find More Posts by komrom
Cut Em' Loose!
Milwaukee, WI
Joined Jan 2009
274 Posts
Are you running them straight or crossed?
komrom is offline Find More Posts by komrom
Old 10-30-2012, 12:46 PM
BAS
Find More Posts by BAS
BAS
ALTOONA , IOWA
Joined Jan 2006
891 Posts
subscribed
BAS is offline Find More Posts by BAS
Old 10-30-2012, 03:08 PM
Find More Posts by ericb
Team WTFO
USA, SD, Worthing
Joined Mar 2006
9,612 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by komrom View Post
Are you running them straight or crossed?
straight
ericb is offline Find More Posts by ericb
Old 12-30-2012, 07:07 AM
Find More Posts by pgls421
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Nov 2010
22 Posts
i've seen this same setup a few times with the mintor 38 looks like a good package...
pgls421 is offline Find More Posts by pgls421
Old 01-13-2013, 10:44 AM
Find More Posts by FlyingFrankie
Joined Mar 2010
192 Posts
Mintor 38 setup:

Aeroworks Extra 260 Freestyle (4 min 39 sec)
FlyingFrankie is offline Find More Posts by FlyingFrankie
Old 01-16-2013, 08:13 AM
Find More Posts by UCPILOT110
United States, TX, Cibolo
Joined Nov 2012
167 Posts
Looking good frank!!, Did you finally figure out the sporatic puffing on the engine? I finally finish my pilot extra with the mintor 33 but it has been to freaking cold and gusty to put it on the air.
UCPILOT110 is offline Find More Posts by UCPILOT110
Old 01-16-2013, 09:16 AM
Find More Posts by gapple12
Joined Aug 2006
4,561 Posts
Great video Frank, great flying as usual !!!
gapple12 is offline Find More Posts by gapple12
Old 01-17-2013, 10:02 PM
Joined Mar 2010
192 Posts
Not sure what you mean by sporatic puffing...I did have a rich mid-range burble when inverted but once it got more broke in and I switched fuel over to VP, it's been running like you hear in the video! Just wish there was better weather as I'd be out there often with this thing!

Frank
Old 01-17-2013, 10:02 PM
Joined Mar 2010
192 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gapple12 View Post
Great video Frank, great flying as usual !!!
Thanks Drew! I'm really happy with this plane/engine combo!

Quick Reply