logo
Old 04-16-2012, 09:21 PM
Find More Posts by wfield0455
United States, MA, Holliston
Joined Oct 2007
3,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Todd View Post
I think this is really interesting... Horizon is trying to push their DSM/DSM2/DSMX system, and lock JR out of the U.S. market.... sure they'll sell JR, but it appears that Horizon really wants JR to wither and die.

- No team pilots
- Controlled marketing
- Controlled price

Looks like a train wreck for both JR and Spektrum.
Of course Horizon is trying to push their DSM system. Why would they have invested a pile of money creating it if they didn't want to sell it. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with it, many of us have used it for years without any problems at all.

JR decided they don't want to license DSM technology anymore so they spun their own 2.4 Ghz protocol, good for them. Personally, I'm in no rush to switch to it but having choices is usually good.

As for no team JR team pilots, if they leave it up to Horizon to fund it and organize it, then it seems by definitions to be Horizon's team pilot program. After all Horizon does sell more than JR, and yes that includes Spektrum and Eflite and all sorts of other stuff that they would like to see favorably represented. Since there are obviously contractual obligations to be met as part of having Horizon distribute their gear in the US, I assume JR would have insisted on there being a Team JR program if they actually had any interest in it.

While it apparently appears to you that Horizon wants JR to wither and die, I'm not so sure it appears that way to that many others. It certainly doesn't to me but hey, maybe I'm just wearing rose colored glasses. Most people that only have one or two airplanes couldn't care less that DMSS and DSMX are incompatible. They'll just buy the new system, install it in their airplane and go fly. I honestly have have no idea what percentage of modellers own large numbers of receivers so that compatibility becomes an issue for them. I would hope that JR DID have that kind of information available to them before THEY decided to create that incompatibility.

Also, I seem to recall you stating in other threads that you only trust your important models to Futaba? If that is the case, why would you even care about any of this?
wfield0455 is offline Find More Posts by wfield0455
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 04-16-2012, 09:22 PM
Find More Posts by gmilo
Alamo, CA USA
Joined Jan 2006
1,310 Posts
Terry, I have a few Spectrum Powersafe receivers that I bought when HH was out of stock on the JR equivalents. Cheaper and they seem to have the same performance for me....
gmilo is offline Find More Posts by gmilo
Old 04-16-2012, 09:26 PM
Find More Posts by ericb
Team WTFO
USA, SD, Worthing
Joined Mar 2006
9,612 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by terryscustom View Post
OK, I've got a really stupid question....everyone is crying how their new 11X is out of date.....am I the only one that has been buying Spectrum power safe RX's instead of JR's because they are in the range of $30 cheaper?? Is Spectrum also going to change, or just JR??? If JR changes and Spectrum stays the same, buy a Spectrum RX, save some coin and go flying......No????

JR: http://www.advantagehobby.com/?cat=4...ne_brandid=128
Spectrum: http://www.advantagehobby.com/?cat=4...ne_brandid=253

Your not the only one. Same RX with a different name on it.
ericb is offline Find More Posts by ericb
Old 04-16-2012, 09:27 PM
Find More Posts by Chris Todd
Suspended Account
United States
Joined Dec 2007
1,508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfield0455 View Post
Also, I seem to recall you stating in other threads that you only trust your important models to Futaba? If that is the case, why would you even care about any of this?
I recently bought a Futaba. All my planes are still on my JR and I have quite a bit of money invested in JR/Spektrum equipment.
Chris Todd is offline Find More Posts by Chris Todd
Reply With Quote  (Disabled) Quick reply to this message (Disabled)
Old 04-16-2012, 09:28 PM
Find More Posts by terryscustom
Wood Butcher
United States, SD, Harrisburg
Joined Jan 2007
9,971 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmilo View Post
Terry, I have a few Spectrum Powersafe receivers that I bought when HH was out of stock on the JR equivalents. Cheaper and they seem to have the same performance for me....
terryscustom is offline Find More Posts by terryscustom
Old 04-16-2012, 09:29 PM
Wood Butcher
Joined Jan 2007
9,971 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericb View Post
Old 04-16-2012, 09:30 PM
Find More Posts by Reza
Aliso Viejo, CA
Joined Jan 2006
4,400 Posts
gmilo,

That makes two of us on 12X and DSM2
Reza is offline Find More Posts by Reza
Old 04-16-2012, 09:31 PM
Suspended Account
United States
Joined Dec 2007
1,508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericb View Post
agreed. I've owned several of both, thought I'm sure BreadBowl would love to jump in here and explain why the difference....
Last edited by Chris Todd; 04-16-2012 at 09:43 PM.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:37 PM
Find More Posts by ericb
Team WTFO
USA, SD, Worthing
Joined Mar 2006
9,612 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Todd View Post
agreed. I've owned several of both, thought I'm sure BreadBowl would love to jump in here and explain why the JR version is better....

Cuz it costs more.
ericb is offline Find More Posts by ericb
Old 04-16-2012, 09:43 PM
Find More Posts by Ryan Smith
Joined Jan 2006
1,835 Posts
Really Chris? I figured I'd wait and let you do the honor since you are the smartest person in R/C.
Ryan Smith is offline Find More Posts by Ryan Smith
Old 04-16-2012, 09:46 PM
Suspended Account
United States
Joined Dec 2007
1,508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreadBowl View Post
Really Chris? I figured I'd wait and let you do the honor since you are the smartest person in R/C.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreadBowl;
And to answer the question here, they are very similar. The JR receiver comes from JR. The Spektrum receiver comes from our factory. Our cost for JR equipment is higher than it is for Spektrum, since, well, we own Spektrum. Therein lies the difference in cost. Will you notice a difference between the two performance wise? Absolutely not. They are both excellent receivers, and if you want the JR brand name, then by all means buy it, there is nothing wrong with that. We are providing another option out there with Spektrum.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:51 PM
Wood Butcher
Joined Jan 2007
9,971 Posts
Last edited by terryscustom; 04-17-2012 at 12:13 AM.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:54 PM
Find More Posts by Ryan Smith
Joined Jan 2006
1,835 Posts
And there you go. When was that posted? 2009?

More importantly, how is that relevant to the conversation? Are you trying to portray me as playing both sides? If so, yes, I am. We sell and represent JR and sell and represent and OWN Spektrum. It would be in our best interest to support both brands, as well as have our field marketing reps (team guys) support and use both.
Ryan Smith is offline Find More Posts by Ryan Smith
Old 04-16-2012, 09:58 PM
Suspended Account
United States
Joined Dec 2007
1,508 Posts
Quote:
And there you go. When was that posted? 2009?

More importantly, how is that relevant to the conversation? Are you trying to portray me as playing both sides? If so, yes, I am. We sell and represent JR and sell and represent and OWN Spektrum. It would be in our best interest to support both brands, as well as have our field marketing reps (team guys) support and use both.
LOL... No, I remembered your opinion on the subject and figured you would chime in, so I decided to have fun..... 2009 or 2010, I forget... I need another beer...
Old 04-16-2012, 10:01 PM
Find More Posts by Wayne
Learn how to work Kid.
Bloomington, Il
Joined Jan 2006
7,405 Posts
Quote:
We sell and represent JR and sell and represent and OWN Spektrum. It would be in our best interest to support both brands, as well as have our field marketing reps (team guys) support and use both.
I'm not sure why this is such a hard concept for some people to wrap their heads around.
Wayne is offline Find More Posts by Wayne

Quick Reply