Old 05-06-2011, 10:21 AM
Find More Posts by STAP71
STAP
CONCORD, NC
Joined Jan 2006
587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sukhoikid View Post
I use to fly at Embry-Riddle. I am still attending the school for the degree portion, but not for the flight portion. After many thoughts I decided to fly off campus for the flight portion. One thing at Embry-Riddle is you start out learning Glass...Luckily for me before I came to the school I had 30 hours flight time in round dial in a DA-40 and a C-172.

Everything at Riddle is G1000 except for their few Piper Arrows which you barely fly in the Commercial course. After flying G1000 for a while it was hard getting use to flying round dial again when I went to another place for flight training! It is best if anything learn round dial first before learning glass.

For the flight portion now we fly with another student that is also working towards his or her Commercial and we fly cross countries all over the place. If my friend and I didnt have school they would send us to CA most likely, but we dont have the time and are only able to fly on Weekends all day due to school. This is great experience to me getting out of the Florida area to fly to different areas!
Must be ATP flight school if its 430 equipped seminoles....
STAP71 is offline Find More Posts by STAP71
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 05-06-2011, 10:22 AM
STAP
CONCORD, NC
Joined Jan 2006
587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcflying53 View Post
We are so short staffed it's not even funny. If been junior manned my 6 time allotment for the year already! We are hiring 600 more pilots this year and can't even fill the classes. Mainline is retiring guys every 10hrs from what we've been told. By 2016 60% of the pilots will be retired. At AMR, we have big problems with staffing and it's only gonna get worse.
In 2010, the FAA only issued ~300 commercial pilot certificates. It used to be a thousand or more a year. The shortage is coming, just wait a few years. Well, unless we don't exist after 2012! LOL
Ive been JM'ed 3 times since Jan.....with another carrier.... we are all short handed...
Old 05-06-2011, 10:27 AM
Find More Posts by vsnap
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Jun 2006
2,224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by STAP71 View Post
Ive been JM'ed 3 times since Jan.....with another carrier.... we are all short handed...
Bean counter MGT that is what is all the same. Then they press the employees to keep things operational. I think it is catching up to the "Super" regional I work for.
vsnap is offline Find More Posts by vsnap
Old 05-06-2011, 10:41 AM
STAP
CONCORD, NC
Joined Jan 2006
587 Posts
Commercial Multi.....3000+ hours...knocking out 85-90 a month being glorified bus driver! (havnt updated logbook in 8 months...shame on me)...
SIC type in Dash-8 100/200/300 series....with over 2000 in type...although SIC type doesnt mean crap...
still flying the old steam gages.........glass kinda scares me...LOL
low and slow turboprop... 37-50 seats.... loads of fun to fly and see some very small runways in cool places...Makes you have to really be on your game!
Slated for coveted Upgrade to left seat in Dec or Jan...
Should be flying the big shiny jets soon but will miss my agile little Dash greatly!

Love my job and wouldnt trade it for anything.... does put a toll on the wife and kids though with me being out of town alot....
Spend many of my trips dreaming of coming home to put a beating on my Extra300 hucking the crap outta it!
Old 05-06-2011, 01:25 PM
Find More Posts by jwilliams
Happy contrails
Near Louisville, KY
Joined Jan 2006
3,822 Posts
stap71, I used to fly Dash 8-100's, got over 3000 in those things.
Jeff Williams
jwilliams is offline Find More Posts by jwilliams
Old 05-06-2011, 03:59 PM
STAP
CONCORD, NC
Joined Jan 2006
587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilliams View Post
stap71, I used to fly Dash 8-100's, got over 3000 in those things.
Jeff Williams
I love the dash.....not too much you cant do with it.... except go fast...lol
who did you fly them for?
Old 05-06-2011, 04:11 PM
Find More Posts by Shaker
Doug Cronkhite
Joined Jan 2006
2,567 Posts
Whine all you want.. I'd trade what I'm doing now (which I enjoy mind you) for a professional flying job in a heart beat (assuming it could pay the bills).
Shaker is offline Find More Posts by Shaker
Old 05-06-2011, 04:21 PM
STAP
CONCORD, NC
Joined Jan 2006
587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaker View Post
Whine all you want.. I'd trade what I'm doing now (which I enjoy mind you) for a professional flying job in a heart beat (assuming it could pay the bills).
i love flying for a living..... althought the start out pay isnt great for a regional carrier......better after 4 years for me now.....
Old 05-07-2011, 05:59 AM
Happy contrails
Near Louisville, KY
Joined Jan 2006
3,822 Posts
Stap71, I started at Pennsylvania Airlines in 90 flying the Dash8, we merged with Allegheny in 92 then I left in 94, went to Spirit flying DC9's till 96 then hired by UPS, got 15 years left.
Jeff Williams
Old 05-07-2011, 09:15 AM
Find More Posts by citrus
United States, CO, Evergreen
Joined May 2006
646 Posts
Quote:
Stap71, I started at Pennsylvania Airlines in 90 flying the Dash8, we merged with Allegheny in 92 then I left in 94, went to Spirit flying DC9's till 96 then hired by UPS, got 15 years left.
Jeff Williams
Going for early retirement or just look like a stud for your age
citrus is offline Find More Posts by citrus
Old 05-07-2011, 12:55 PM
Happy contrails
Near Louisville, KY
Joined Jan 2006
3,822 Posts
Funny Chris, I am 45 with 15 years of service to UPS so only 15 more. Who knows what kind of retirement we will have then but I am retiring even if I have to live in a single wide trailer.
Jeff Williams
Old 05-09-2011, 02:27 PM
STAP
CONCORD, NC
Joined Jan 2006
587 Posts
Quote:
Jeff Williams
Im flying for Piedmont..... who also merged with Allegheny..... fly with many of the Allegheny guys......
Old 05-09-2011, 05:45 PM
Happy contrails
Near Louisville, KY
Joined Jan 2006
3,822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by STAP71 View Post
Im flying for Piedmont..... who also merged with Allegheny..... fly with many of the Allegheny guys......
I am sure many of those guys are gone that I used to fly with. I still keep in touch with Roger Kratzer, I think he is in MDT. If you fly any with the registration of 801EX thru about 820EX I used to fly those N numbers.
Jeff Williams
Old 05-09-2011, 09:56 PM
STAP
CONCORD, NC
Joined Jan 2006
587 Posts
Quote:
I am sure many of those guys are gone that I used to fly with. I still keep in touch with Roger Kratzer, I think he is in MDT. If you fly any with the registration of 801EX thru about 820EX I used to fly those N numbers.
Jeff Williams
You would be suprised.... we liken MDT as Jurassic Park...LOL....throughout all piedmont there are many 30+ year capts still there.....Flown all th EX planes..... and all th HA...aka old Henson birds....Piedmont now has the oldest Dash 102 in existance still flying...906HA....which is S/N 7......almost 90,000 cycles and still trucking....Probably the slowest KNS out there too...Just came outta "D" check and actually purrs like a kitten....All of themm still hot as heck in summer.....cant wait to move up in the world.... but there will always be a place in my heart for the Dash.....like I said before..... They can do some awesome stuff.... most of the HUBs use us to their advantage because of the ability to either DUMP it in ..... or keep the speed up till last possible second.....I actually may need to dicipline myselt to really fly a "stabilized" approach someday....to an extent there is no such thing in a Dash...Many guys I talk to out in the flying world started on the Dash and say it was the most FUN to fly.....I tend to agree.....
Old 05-10-2011, 08:17 AM
Find More Posts by GULF DRIVER
"EMS" Earn Money Sleeping...
United States, OK, Longdale
Joined Dec 2009
198 Posts
Is this the new ALPA Thread?
GULF DRIVER is offline Find More Posts by GULF DRIVER

Quick Reply