Find More Posts by cmouse42
Itchin' to build
South Africa, GP, Benoni
Joined Aug 2012
115 Posts
Build Log
Sebart Su29 2.6m

Hi all

This is my first post here, I'm reasonably new to this hobby and making good progress.

My attempt here is to start a build thread on the Sebart Su29 2.6m bird as per the latter page of the web site bellow;
http://www.sebart.it/giants.html

Been flying for just over a year now, more progress has been as follows;
Hobbico 60 Size trainer with OS .65
Modeltech Magic 2 Fun Flyer with OS .46 on a pipe
Lanyu 120 size Big Stick with OS 160
Modeltech Fun Flyer 90S with OS .95
Shotgun Pro 5000 Kit Fun Flyer with OS .35 on a pipe
Hangar 9 Funtana 125G with DLA32 Gas

As much fun as the fun flyers are, and with the hectic winds sometimes at the field where we can get them to fly backwards sometime or treat them like gliders and deliberately dead stick it at altitude and glide it in, I really enjoy the Funtana the most. It's kind of a "small" introduction to "Giant Scale". This is my first Gas motored plane and am loving it.

The plane has been really awesome, but now after some 80+ flights, I'm starting to dream big. After reading many forums, looking at build logs and talking to people at the hobby shop by me, my choice was to jump past the 50cc size, and go straight for 100cc. I have witnessed others fly 50cc planes at the field, and they seem very similar to the 32cc I am flying right now, so I thought to skip this "step".

My choices were to go either for the Hangar 9 35% Extra 260 or it's later brother the 35% Extra 300. Both are available locally and well supported. At our local hobby store, they are big supporters for Sebart and all the staff and owner really push them hard, especially the F3A pattern ships that the company makes. When they have competitions, these planes dominate almost all the categories.

Either way, they convinced me to go for the Sebart Su29 2.6m with a DLE111 or DLA112 Gasser on canisters.

My post is not only to show the build thread that is hopefully follow, but also to put it out there as far as suggestions go regarding my choice. As I said before, I'm still fairly new at this, my flying skills are getting there, but no where near "exotic". I am not phased by technical challenges in the plane and there are lots of people here on the forums or at my field that will help me with issues I might have.

So for now, I have a yellow and black one reserved for me and within the next couple of weeks, will commit to buying it and get the whole project on the road.

Thanks for reading all this waffle, I will be brief and concise in future during the build.

Chris
cmouse42 is offline Find More Posts by cmouse42
Last edited by cmouse42; 10-09-2012 at 02:46 PM. Reason: Added Signature
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 10-09-2012, 05:47 PM
Find More Posts by Robotech
United States, AR, Pine Bluff
Joined Aug 2006
3,872 Posts
Subscribed ...........

One note - I would opt for the DLE over the DLA. If you're gong to go with a Chinese clone, the DLE is a better pick. Personally, I would go for a DA120.
Robotech is offline Find More Posts by Robotech
Old 10-09-2012, 06:49 PM
Find More Posts by shir992001
Joined Sep 2009
64 Posts
Big plane.DA120
shir992001 is offline Find More Posts by shir992001
Old 10-10-2012, 01:18 AM
Itchin' to build
South Africa, GP, Benoni
Joined Aug 2012
115 Posts
Only reason I didn't choose a DA120 is the extra weight, and the lack of real support for that motor in the country, the price for these things is also ridiculously more.
The ignition modules on the DLA take straight 7.4v Lipo power, no regulator required, can you do the same with the DA?

I do however hear you on the DLE. Plenty people use them at our field, and everyone rates them tops. Nice thing is, the headers and cans are the same for the two motors, so I can choose later.

Chris
Old 10-10-2012, 09:01 AM
Find More Posts by Robotech
United States, AR, Pine Bluff
Joined Aug 2006
3,872 Posts
I take it you need the extra weight of the DLE/DLA. The DA120 is two pounds lighter than either.

DA approves of using unregulated A123 packs (6.6v).
Robotech is offline Find More Posts by Robotech
Old 10-10-2012, 12:44 PM
Itchin' to build
South Africa, GP, Benoni
Joined Aug 2012
115 Posts
Not at all, their weights are quite similar, 4.95lb for the DA and 5.4 for the DLA (as per the web site)
Here are the specs for DLA112

Performance
• 11.5Hp/7500rpm
• Idle Speed: 1400rpm/min
• 24.5 Kg Pulling Force/100 metres altitude
• 21 Kg Pulling Force/1800 metres altitude
• Propeller 26 x 12, 27 x 10, 28 x 10
• Spark Plug: NGK CM-6 x 2

For the Life of me, the specs of DA120 are not available complete. Can anyone assist with complete spec as above?

In the meantime, I'm busy with a repair job on the Funtana. Had an oooopsie with the Ignition lipo battery.
Its a Thunder Power 3700mah 2S LiPo (or was at least)

Was on storage charge for about a month, Charged it, took about 1000mah of charge at a rate of 1C, wrapped battery in padding as i've done the last 30 charges or so, and secured it in plane. I must have obviously bumped it to hard or something went wrong with the charge, as 10 seconds later, smoke and lots of it. Quickly jumped for a large pliers to get it out of plane as it was by now completely on fire. Managed to get it out and threw it on the floor before it torched my hand.

The damage was already done though, it toasted some of the ply around the wing box and burnt holes all over the covering as it was spewing sparks all over the place. I was very lucky, if I had stepped away at that moment, could have torched the whole plane.

Damage: Ignition switch, opto isolator for ignition, some extension leads, throttle servo, the ignition battery, some cleaning of the wood with a brush and the covering.

I see now why they say LiPo's are so dangerous, this thing took off for now obvious reason to me. This battery has around 80 flights on it and each time, I monitor the charge on the intelligent charger and always behaves about the same.

My ignition module is strictly 7.4v on the DLA32 that is in this plane otherwise I would seriously consider A123 or what we call LiFe batteries ( I have one of these on my receiver, unregulated)

I see the DA120 takes a LiFe, not sure will take a LiPo unregulated.

Anyway, just the covering to do, and we will fly her this weekend again.

Chris
Old 10-10-2012, 01:29 PM
Find More Posts by futile flight
stick banger
United States, FL, Plant City
Joined Jul 2011
1,627 Posts
DA>DLE >DLA krill>H9 260>h9 300

also your choices are really weird you said you can get H9 260 or 300 35 % ? They don't make the 260 any more ... and it flew better than the 300.. Most people will agree there.. .. but you can't get parts I don’t think... so those airframes are all around 1k

and a krill's su 29 ? is double that 2k ... but you want to put a DLA in it ? kind of oppset ends of the spectrum on engine choices and airframes ...

seems weird to me
futile flight is offline Find More Posts by futile flight
Last edited by futile flight; 10-10-2012 at 01:34 PM.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:10 AM
Itchin' to build
South Africa, GP, Benoni
Joined Aug 2012
115 Posts
Re: H9 260/300 DLA/DA engine combo

I agree with you too, however, we are on the ass end of the world here, and got to go with what hobby stores have in stock. Importing engines and components is not an issue as they are small enough to ship. But shipping in a Krill will make it much more expensive because of shipping.

I mentioned the H9 35% 300 as its readily available, so is the Sebart Su29 2.6m as I have official agents for the country close to me here, no shipping required.

For that matter, DA engines are also scarce here, but available at a price, double that of the DLA. My budget is $3k or so for the complete bird, kit, engine, servos, receiver, powerbox and battery packs. it will become $4k if I go the DA route and perhaps $6k if I do the Krill route.

As I mentioned before, this is my first "giant scale" bird, I am by no means a very advanced flyer so I won't be needing a competition class bird, just one that is well built, strong and can be used and abused for a long time to come.

I will however not purely make a decision based on price. If something gets a bad review, I will sacrifice it and choose the more expensive option. (That's assuming my wife and kids don't mind not having meat loaf for dinner every night
Old 10-12-2012, 05:01 AM
Itchin' to build
South Africa, GP, Benoni
Joined Aug 2012
115 Posts
Servo Selection:

I'm going to start looking into what servo's to use for this project, and my first dilemma is upon me; Do I use 1x Hectic servo on rudder or two ganged up lesser servo's??

I've had good experience with Hitec servo's and they are well priced here, so was thinking do I go for 1 x Hs-7980TH Titanium Gear 44Kg at .17sec or 2 x Hs-7945TH Titanium Gear 23Kg at 0.1sec??

As I understand it, unless you strip gears in the servo, if they fail they fail "loose" so you won't get a bind in a ganged up situation? The only disadvantage I see to double servo's on rudder is weight (which is not really a problem on this size plane) and since I am not competing, and still a relative novice, doesn't really matter. Will I be able to tell the difference in speed between .17 and .10 secs?

Hooking all up won't be an issue as I WILL be using a Powerbox with dual power systems, running LiPo's to the servos.

As for the Ailerons and Elevator, use of 6 x 7945's should be adequate.

What you guys think?
Old 10-12-2012, 10:01 AM
Find More Posts by divad_strebor
Joined Aug 2012
142 Posts
Hi Chris, Looking forward to seeing how you go with this one. This thread inspired me to order one of these myself.. (the video in the link you posted at the top did most of the work)

I have a yellow one on its way, and it'll be powered by the da-120 that doesn't fit in my decathlon, and at this early stage I am looking at using 7955tg's throughout (2 on rudder), or a single 7980 on rudder. I plan to mount the rudder servo/s in the tail, mainly because through searching these forums I have found that owners of these have spent a lot of time chasing a more tail heavy situation, with most (from what I can gather) settling on a point considerably behind the rear most recommended balance point.

All servos will be running through a smart fly power system eq6 turbo, into a JR rd921 reciever. This is all stuff that I have on hand (I have five 7955s, need to get a few more) so it should theoretically go together pretty quick. I expect the model to arrive early this week..

- Dave
divad_strebor is offline Find More Posts by divad_strebor
Old 10-12-2012, 12:34 PM
Itchin' to build
South Africa, GP, Benoni
Joined Aug 2012
115 Posts
Dave

I have been drooling at the sample that is hanging in the hobby shop, the build quality of this kit is amazing, I was sold once I saw it. The only booboo I have is what/how to decal the cowl front to make the motor look good. As it stands has horrible yellow face with just the slots cut out for the twin.

The store owner is eager to get them in the air at the local field, as he will then probably sell them all out. I've seen a few pattern guys buy the 140E version to mess around with when they are not practicing for a competition, and they all love them.

You welcome to join your build into this thread if you wish, lets learn together

Chris
Old 10-16-2012, 08:48 PM
Joined Aug 2012
142 Posts
Santa turned up this morning dressed in a toll priority uniform..

Question, does anyone know what the difference is between a hs7980th and a hs7990th besides about $50 in price? The specs look the same..

I think i'm going to mount a single rudder servo inside the back of the fuselage with access through a hatch in the bottom just ahead of the tailwheel mount.. It'll make sense once I start doing it and post photos..
Old 10-17-2012, 01:27 AM
Itchin' to build
South Africa, GP, Benoni
Joined Aug 2012
115 Posts
I am so jealous......

I can't start right now as have too many other things on my plate.......

I'll just use you as a guinea pig on the build...

As far as difference goes on servo's, I think the 7990 has aluminium heat sink casing, and the other one is plastic. Stand under correction though.
Old 10-17-2012, 02:56 AM
Joined Aug 2012
142 Posts
I've ordered a 7980. It has the heat sink too according to the photo.. Also in the order is one more 7955, all the wiring, secraft arms, and a few little odd bits and pieces. This means I have everything to get it flying as soon as the package arrives. Except throttle servo. Still gotta decide what servo to use for that.

I've fitted the undercarriage, but that's all I had time for today. I assembled it on the lawn again to show my parents, and almost immediately got a "volunteer pilot". See photo..
Old 10-17-2012, 05:38 AM
Itchin' to build
South Africa, GP, Benoni
Joined Aug 2012
115 Posts
Looks great

I can't wait to get started either, but I will just have to be patient.

Just use a good strong full size metal gear servo like the HS-525MG (It's a little overkill) and the just all like 1 inch arms to both carb and servo on flexible ball links 4/40 size (carbon fiber rod in between, or so I have read numerous places elsewhere)

Are you going to put a servo on the choke?

Quick Reply