logo
Old 01-18-2008, 01:03 AM
Find More Posts by sgtmac168
Joined Oct 2007
43 Posts
Lanier Extra 300-S 1/3 Scale Kit

I just got one of the last Lanier Extra 300-S 1/3 Scale Kit's and would like to know if this is a good plane....I am an excellent builder but have never built a Lanier foam wing.....this is going to be my first semi-3d plane and probably not a good one to start with but what the heck....Tower was selling the Lanier's cheap and had to get a big one......especially with only $67 a month for 3 months.....I noticed that right after I bought it they were suddenly dis-continued so maybe I got the last one they had for real. There are some more of the others still left so get them before they are gone.....actually I just bought it for the free hat..LOL.....Anyway, what did I do? uhh uhh ......ok .......What engine will make this thing go without breaking the bank? Will the Zenoah 80 make it go up(Vertical)???? It's about 28lbs.... I will also need some advice on how to put that foam wing together......and what glues to use. Thanks ahead for the help.......SSG MAC
sgtmac168 is offline Find More Posts by sgtmac168
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 01-18-2008, 01:17 AM
Find More Posts by dmichael
United States, MD, Laurel
Joined Jan 2006
1,201 Posts
Re: Lanier Extra 300-S 1/3 Scale Kit

Good plane. Designed by Bob Godfrey. Keep it light. Consider moving the hinge line forward on the elevator if you want to 3D. ZDZ Super 80, DA85 or 100cc twin engine for this one.
dmichael is offline Find More Posts by dmichael
Old 01-18-2008, 12:35 PM
Find More Posts by FastnLow
Joined Feb 2006
614 Posts

Keeping this kit light will require alot of effort. I biult the 35% Lanier Giles of theirs and it was an ancor no matter how hard I tried to keep it light. Like dmichael said if you don't modify the elevator hinge line all you will have is a Imac flyer cause you won't be 3d capable. If you want to biuld buy a 35% carden or dalton kit. They are more money but it will be worth it in the end.
FastnLow is offline Find More Posts by FastnLow
Old 01-19-2008, 01:10 AM
Joined Oct 2007
43 Posts

I will definately keep this kit light as a feather for it''s size and keep it strong....I still have to find out the best epoxy and glue to build this thing.....I am looking forward to building this thing and learning to 3d a little......I appreciate the comments and please keep them coming.......thank to all SSG MAC
Old 01-19-2008, 10:03 AM
Find More Posts by David A
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Mar 2006
32 Posts

I built one about 5 years ago. I replaced all the plastic parts with foam and balsa.I purchased the turtle deck and fiberglass cowl from Bob Godfrey. Made my own hatch into a one piece. Also some of the balsa sheeting wasnt very good so I replaced it with some SIG contest balsa. I moved the elevator hinge line forward by an 1.25 inch. I can't remember excatly what it weight I think is was around 25 lbs. I ran a ZDZ 80 for power. It flew the IMAC manoeuvres very well and was mild at 3d

Dave Asquini
David A is offline Find More Posts by David A
Old 01-21-2008, 07:00 PM
Joined Oct 2007
43 Posts

What would be the best sub 1k engine for this plane? Is there a minimum hp for a 28lb plane to hover and go vertical? I looked at the 80s and some 100s......is there one that just wont die in flight? ssg mac
Old 01-21-2008, 07:23 PM
Find More Posts by Vic3D
Suspended Account
Puerto Rico, Caguas, Caguas
Joined Jan 2006
5,011 Posts

A used 3W 106 will run you about 900 bucks. Highly recommend it.
Vic3D is offline Find More Posts by Vic3D
Reply With Quote  (Disabled) Quick reply to this message (Disabled)
Old 01-24-2008, 11:51 PM
Joined Oct 2007
43 Posts

The 300 has been delivered and the goods look like high quality......I will post pics during the build......ANOTHER QUESTION????? Do you think it will be too heavy if I glass it.....I just glassed my piper arrow and it didn't seem to add anymore weight than monocote......it would take a little time but I could put a nice paint job on it.......any input is still greatly appreciated......still checking out engines....probably use at least a 100cc...... thanks ........SSG MAC
Old 01-25-2008, 08:49 AM
Find More Posts by Hammerman
DA isn't Haulin it? It Drags
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2006
2,620 Posts

Hi, you may want to change the 1/4" ply formers and engine box sides to 1/8" it will save some weight. Foam deck and hatch will also help. Drill lightening holes as well.
Dave.
Hammerman is offline Find More Posts by Hammerman
Old 01-25-2008, 09:54 AM
Find More Posts by Neogenesis
Down Low..Too Slow..DOH!!
Findlay, OH
Joined Jan 2006
1,239 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtmac168 View Post
The 300 has been delivered and the goods look like high quality......I will post pics during the build......ANOTHER QUESTION????? Do you think it will be too heavy if I glass it.....I just glassed my piper arrow and it didn't seem to add anymore weight than monocote......it would take a little time but I could put a nice paint job on it.......any input is still greatly appreciated......still checking out engines....probably use at least a 100cc...... thanks ........SSG MAC

Glassing add WAY too much weight. Stick with monokote.....you'll be glad you did in the end.

Neo
Neogenesis is offline Find More Posts by Neogenesis
Old 01-25-2008, 10:46 PM
Joined Oct 2007
43 Posts

Sounds logical......I will cut away as much as possible and use the monocote.......Do you think any of the Chinese engines are any good......I read the post about it but no one ever really came to any solid conclusions......there was a 100cc twin at https://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/...idProduct=5734 it looks good but that don't mean anything.....thanks for the help again.........SSG MAC
Old 02-03-2008, 10:50 PM
Find More Posts by iflyjr
United States, VA, Disputanta
Joined Jan 2008
121 Posts

I had one and loved it 25 lbs with Bme 102 unlimted vertical.

I enlarged all flying surfaces. Cut holes in everything. You will like it.

Tim
iflyjr is offline Find More Posts by iflyjr
Old 02-04-2008, 09:08 AM
Joined Oct 2007
43 Posts

Do you have any pics of the one that you built? Also, what did you use to sheet the wings and other surfaces as far as an adhesive? I was going to probably try elmers glue......I have bunch of it I got for a dime a bottle during school start up from wal-mart. I can't wait to get started on it but I'm trying to finish my piper arrow 2 that I glassed. Thanks for the response..........ssg mac
Old 03-22-2008, 07:41 PM
Find More Posts by Spdstr280Z
United States, GA, Watkinsville
Joined Aug 2007
1,272 Posts

Got started on this one yet ? I was looking at one pretty hard just before they were discontinued too. I ran into a deal on an old un-started Carden kit though.

Interested to see how it turns out for you. If you are trying to save weight, I understand the fiberglass cowl and wheel pants and the sheeted foam turtledeck are must haves. They aren't that expensive, especially considering how much you probably saved on the kit buying at closeout.

On sheeting the foam cores, Gorilla Glue is pretty much the going thing. I have been experimenting and started some of my sheeting and it works great, just don't use too much. I don't think you will get the results you want with regular Elmers.

Good luck !

Jason
Spdstr280Z is offline Find More Posts by Spdstr280Z
Old 03-23-2008, 08:38 AM
Joined Oct 2007
43 Posts

Thanks for the reply Jason. I am working on getting started with it.....The parts inside the kit look very well thought out and sturdy.....I did get an email from Bob at Lanier but it was only for marketing the fiber glass. I had some questions for him but never heard back. I still can't decide which motor to use......I just built a paint room with vent and filters to paint the model I have been finishing.....TF Arrow 2.....I was going to use a 2 stroke in it (ST .75) but the model came out perfect and I can't bear to see it full of OIL. I am thinking about a small gas eng for it. I also need to get a 85 to 100 for the Lanier.....I can't see spending over a $600 for a small gas motor......will probably have to buy after market.....I am on a budget and besides if it bites the dust somehow...ouch. I will take some pics as I build it....soon.....and post some of them here. This plane will be super light.

Quick Reply