logo
Old 07-03-2007, 11:18 PM
Find More Posts by TheHobbyGuy
Joined Apr 2007
178 Posts
International Park Flyers Association

I have posted the following on RCU, RCG and here because I feel we need to get the word out. We have the ear of the AMA and the independent Park Flyers - the time is now to formalize all the discussions that have fueled these and other boards for so long now. If you fly electrics, foamies, park flyers, micros, then this concerns you. The IMAA was formed to meet the needs of those interested in Giant Scale. The IFPA is being formed to meet the needs of the other end of the spectrum.

I am proposing the founding of an International Park Flyers Association (IPFA). I propose the IPFA to be formed and have the following goals

- To be the organized unified voice for Park Flyers around the world
- To formulate and maintain the definition of what a Park Flyer is.
- To have an agreed upon and unified Safety Code
- To be an AMA Special Interest Group for those who have AMA membership and to have an outreach and value to those who are not or will not be AMA members.
- To be a non-competitive organization focused on advancement of the hobby.
- To engage in activities that would promote and educate the public about Park Flyers.
- To be the voice of Park Flyers to the hobby manufacturers.
- To be more value than a “magazine and insurance”
- To use technology to benefit the members and the organization
- To assist in the attainment, creation, and the organization of outdoor and indoor flying locations for Park Flyers.

I am not suggesting the above is the entire list of goals but rather a start. There is much work to do to make this into an organization. Here are some ideas I have regarding how we can accomplish some of these goals. These are not all my ideas as I have been reading posts all over the web and sifting through comments and AMA meeting minutes. I have recycled some ideas and reworked some ideas and added my own ideas. I call on you to expand on these and help me put this into a working form.

Unified Voice for Park Flyers – The time is now. The AMA executive Committee has been talking about Park Flyers since 2001. I have read estimates that say there exist between 500,000 to 2.5 million Park Flyers. I do not know what is accurate, especially since it depends on how you count them. But I can say that Park Flyers are here. I can also say, even without scientific data, that the average age of the park flyer is probably half that of the rest of the Model Aviation population.

It’s our turn. We need a unified voice to the AMA, to the manufacturers, and to the public.

Definition of a Park Flyer – we should look towards a formula and not a set description.

For example, Americas Cup Yachts use a formula to determine if they fit the category. If they increase the sail then you have to change something else to fit in the definition. For Park Flyers it does not have to be complicated and we should still be able to summarize for general clarification. The result of the equation should be a number that is easy to understand.

For example weight times top speed divided by some factor such as the major material the aircraft is made of. The definition would be useful for manufactures and we could come up with classes based on the result. For the general public it would be helpful if it translated into “OK to fly on a baseball field for a beginner pilot.”

Also a 2 lb foamy is probably safer than a 2 lb fiberglass fuse. So maybe the material is a factor too. We should start simple then expand with experience.

We also need to define accepted power plants for the aircraft. We should state that the models do not utilize any combustion engine of any type, etc.

UAV type of aircraft should not be part of our charter as this is a different special interest and has its own special needs.

Helicopters could be part of the charter but would need their own definition. We would need some sort of formula here too.

Safety Code – I propose we adopt the AMA safety Code as is (http://www.modelaircraft.org/PDF-files/105.pdf)
AND
(mind the AND before you flame me) we work with the AMA to create a Park Flyer Supplemental Safety Code and include the definition of Park Flyer as IPFA members have defined it.

IFPA should apply and Become an AMA Special Interest Group - I can see this could be a hot topic for many, but I think there is a way to do this and provide a lot of value for non-AMA members as well. Hold on to your thoughts for a bit until you read below about the membership levels I suggest.

Perhaps the IFPA could actually be two organizations. One half could actually meet the AMA requirement for a SIG. The second organization could be for non-AMA members. Both organizations would be equal and have their own executive committee. The joint committee of both could be the overall ruling body. We need to think this out more.

The IPFA should be focused on non-competitive advancement of Park Flyers. Similar in thought to the IMAA charter. We are a group of SPORT flyers. Later if someone wants to create a Park Flyer Aerobatics SIG, we can support that – that time will come.

Being an AMA SIG is important. Like many other Park Flyers, I am an AMA member and I want to be sure the AMA hears the needs related to Park Flyers. We can not do this if we do not participate. In addition I would like to see AMA sanctioned Park Fly events at AMA chartered clubs and even at public venues.

In order to achieve this we would need to fulfill the needs of different groups, but I believe it can be done. Membership could be tiered or split something like this:

Membership ideas:

IPFA Member - HAS AMA – Has paid full dues to IPFA and receives all IPFA benefits, plus voting rights, right to run for office, and we can clarify a few other rights they are entitled too. Have full AMA rights as defined by the AMA (thought – give these guys a discount off the IPFA rate to encourage joining the AMA)

IPFA Associate – Non-AMA – Has Paid full dues to IPFA and receives full IPFA IPFA benefits, plus voting rights, right to run for office, and we can clarify a few other rights they are entitled too. Agrees to AMA & IPFA Safety code – but can not fly at AMA Chartered clubs or events.

We could limit executive council to 1/2 AMA and 1/2 non AMA so neither side has advantage or split into two groups with a joint council. Perhaps an International Park Flyers Association (AMA) and an International Park Flyers Organization (Non-AMA) could exist.

IPFA Enthusiast – NON AMA – Has paid minimal dues and does not have voting rights and is limited to access to services via web. This could be as easy to join as signing a pamphlet we require manufacturers to include in their products if they want to be IPFA certified. I remember the rockets have this; you buy your Estes rocket at Wal-Mart and in the package is a NAR Safety Code you can sign and agree to. Something similar just to ensure that new pilot has an understanding that there is support and a way to be safe.

Voice to the Public – At the Toledo Show last year I was so disappointed to see no young people – not even people just coming to see the cool planes. Only a few weeks earlier I was at RCX (mostly RC Cars) in California and it was packed with Kids, Teens, Dads, Moms. Are we missing the mark with our public outreach? I think so! Some AMA clubs do great job (WRAM comes to mind) but 99% are missing the mark.

While growing up I always wanted to fly, but had no one who would teach me. The local club was a good club but they were all adults and no one wanted to teach a kid. So I took up RC cars and boats. 4 years ago I picked up a park flyer and was amazed. I could fly it. I waited 30 years to finally find a way to get into the hobby. I am sure many of you relate. I am now an AMA member and fly everything from foamies to giant scale. I don’t care what anyone flies, as long as they fly because they enjoy it.

However, in my opinion Park Flying is the best way to educate, communicate, and most importantly, involve all generations and interest levels in our hobby. The IPFA needs to be a voice to the public and needs to educate those who may have prejudices toward park flyers.

People may go WOW at a 30% 3D ship – but it’s the $30 foamy that they but to give this hobby a shot.

Voice to the Park Flyer Manufacturers – We can work on safety and outreach programs designed to promote the hobby and we should look to the manufacturers to support us in return.

VALUE – “more than a magazine and insurance”

I have read this on so many posts…too many. And not just about the AMA. I have read this about other SIGs. Many people have a hard time defining what value some of the organizations in our hobby are providing. At the core of the IFPA should be a desire to be more than this, with the understanding that you can not please everyone. We should have a clear value proposition.

Technology - I believe we can deliver a lot of the value through the use of technology and innovation. Here are some ideas I have of what we can offer our members. Not all are fully baked but here they are.
Magazine – NOT! No magazine in physical form. Instead all published communication should take advantage of web technologies and e-zines, RSS, and other technologies would be fine. This would save money and trees and be more dynamic. Optional for members.
Online video library - serious content for members. How to, events, etc. We do not have to do these ourselves we could partner with those who do and offer as a tier of the membership. Optional for members.
Billing – automated, timely, and online.
Membership – all aspects of membership handled online.
Events – event database and notifications online.
Flying field database. We should keep an ongoing database of current AMA Charted fields and their GPS coordinates. We can then merge that with a database of IPFA flying locations (parks, private land, and open spaces) and what the activity and expectations of the field are. Think of Hotels.com meets match.com for flying sites. Looking for field with paved or hard packed runway with pilots who like warbirds – search the database. Overlay this with Google Maps or earth and it becomes a great tool. Members would be able to search both and locate other park flyers, park flyers with certain interests, and even AMA clubs. This could solve a safety issue as we ensure flying sites are not too close.
Rating System - We could use an EBay style of feedback on flying sites, clubs, and members. We have to think about this a little but it could work – as long as we make it so people can’t flame each other. Maybe just a star rating. See a field with only 1 star and it has 1000 votes – avoid it as it may be a swamp.
A Virtual Frequency board could be created by using the database to help locate who is currently flying on what frequency. Members could send a text message that hits the website with their id, frequency, and location. You then have checked that frequency out for a 10 mile radius. As spread spectrum become more prevalent this would not be an issue but this idea could also be used to find other people who are flying if you decided you just don’t want to fly alone today. This could become a great tool to prove how popular a location is when the town comes in and says no one uses this land so we are going to make it a such and such.
Call To Action

There are so many ideas in my head and I will post them as I think about them some more. I look for all of you to jump in and participate.

To be straight forward – if you are not interested – move on. I do not care! If you do not like Park Flyers, then don’t comment. I am not opening this up as a debate on the merits of park flyers vs glow pilots. On the flip side, this is not an AMA bashing session.

I am looking for people who want to advance Park Flyers as a segment of our hobby and make a positive difference for all of us.

I will be posting this on other sites too and getting the troops rallied. We then need to have a central meeting spot (online) to get down to the nitty gritty. My goal is that by Toledo 2008 the International Park Flyers Association becomes a reality. And if they won’t have us, we will have our own show. 

So with that said and my foot in my mouth, lets Git-R-done!

Please join us and you can read more at these different locations. We hope to have a permanent home soon. (Flying Giants maybe you can help )

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6064430/tm.htm

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=707939

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=115400
TheHobbyGuy is offline Find More Posts by TheHobbyGuy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply