Old 04-07-2011, 01:37 PM
Find More Posts by YAKMAN76
So you fly toy planes??
United States, MS, Carson
Joined Dec 2010
1,183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryhavoc38 View Post
Its a fair statement to say that not everyone had issues with midrange or idle with their DA-170.
Just as its fair to say not everyone flys 3d with their DA-170 and are not flying in the low to mid throttle range the majority of the time.

Regarding DA and DLE.
Taken care of properly, both engine brands will provide years of faithful service.

I have a DLE-111 in my AW Extra 300.
I'm about to pull it from service and send it to Jody for a checkup and a bearing overhaul given that its a Version 1 and I know of bearing updates.

I've not had to partake of Jody's service center yet, but I know that he is the goto guy for DLE service. Weather is 95% crappy here this time of the year, so now is a good time to send in the DLE to him. I feel confident that Jody will take care of me and this engine. I contacted Jody and he said send her in! We are in the same state so turnaround will be shortened.

I bought this DLE-111 because I got a screaming deal on it and it was simply impossible to pass up a 111 that only had 20 flights on it for $350 from a local flying bud.

I have a DA-170 in my EG Raven. I was able to purchase this DA-170 that only had a gallon and a half through it from the previous owner who decided to stick with 50-100cc aircraft and parted his big ol slick out.

Tony doesn't know me from Adam or a hole in the wall, but he did something for me that was quite unexpected and out of the blue. I cannot, at this time, say what that was, but it is SERIOUSLY appreciated and shows how commited to customer service Desert Aircraft really is.

Bottom line is this.

Buy what your budget for these toys allows.

Buy your DLE from Valley View because you know Jody will take care of you if something goes wrong with the engine.

Buy your DA from DA direct, or one of their authorized resellers because you know Tony and crew will take care of you if something goes wrong with the engine.
I think this post sums up everything. Very well said!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
YAKMAN76 is offline Find More Posts by YAKMAN76
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 04-07-2011, 01:45 PM
Find More Posts by yakpilot
Molalla,OR
Joined May 2006
923 Posts
+1
yakpilot is offline Find More Posts by yakpilot
Old 04-07-2011, 01:55 PM
Find More Posts by RazorEdge
Always flying
Joined Feb 2008
651 Posts
I would not recommend buying a used DA from an individual or a new DA from a dealer and expect the same service you would expect from buying a New DA from DA
RazorEdge is offline Find More Posts by RazorEdge
Old 04-07-2011, 01:57 PM
Find More Posts by Cryhavoc38
Living the dream
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined Oct 2007
6,511 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmann34 View Post
I would not recommend buying a used DA from an individual or a new DA from a dealer and expect the same service you would expect from buying a New DA from DA
thats a damning statement if I ever heard one!
And completely incorrect.
Cryhavoc38 is offline Find More Posts by Cryhavoc38
Old 04-07-2011, 02:01 PM
Find More Posts by yakpilot
Molalla,OR
Joined May 2006
923 Posts
Quote:

Why in the world would you say something like that? Complete BS.
yakpilot is offline Find More Posts by yakpilot
Old 04-07-2011, 02:16 PM
Always flying
Joined Feb 2008
651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryhavoc38 View Post
thats a damning statement if I ever heard one!
And completely incorrect.
That is a statement based on truth from my personal experience with them.
I don't feel it is damning in any way. Not everyone gets the stellar service that we all read about on these forums.
Old 04-07-2011, 02:16 PM
Find More Posts by TheTank
I created FG! Bitch!
Connecticut, USA
Joined Jan 2006
10,655 Posts
Quote:
I have never had an issue with service of a used DA I bought when sending it to DA. I had a 3rd-hand DA100 back about 5 years ago that the connecting rods wore out after about 100 gallons. DA fixed it at the Joe Nall, free of charge for me. I offered to pay and they told me I was all set. I was shocked knowing that they knew it was a 3rd-hand motor and based on the nature of the issue, they took care of me.

Same thing with Gerhard at AI, I have screwed some things up that were my own fault (prop ejection last year at the SnapFest is a perfect example) and he helped me out and got it back to me quick.

I havent had experience with VV myself, but a good buddy of mine has. And he has had good experiences with Jodi and repairing a couple of 30s he has had whether it was crash damage, or other repair for issues.
TheTank is offline Find More Posts by TheTank
Old 04-07-2011, 02:24 PM
Always flying
Joined Feb 2008
651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakpilot View Post
Why in the world would you say something like that? Complete BS.
I own a DA 85 that was purchased by me new from a dealer when I was buying an airframe.
Within weeks the bearing spun. Called up DA and sent it in under warranty.
Got motor back and it makes less power than before and leaks gas out of carby between flights.
No amount of rebuilding or streching springs or cleaning cures it.

Bought a used DA 150 from an individual. Called up DA to see if it had ever been in for repair or service....Asked if I could have it sent in for a check up, repair or replace anything that looked suspect.... well, that's a long ole story, but suffice to say, my service record with DA and Tony is completely differnet than what I was lead to believe from reading posts on these forums.

I know you guys admire DA, but it is apparent not everyone gets the stellar service enjoyed by some.
I was a big DA fan, but since I have motors that I don't trust, not so much any more
Old 04-07-2011, 02:26 PM
Find More Posts by Low_Cal
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Dec 2009
2,624 Posts
Aluminum Bolts

Earlier in this thread it was mentioned that DA engines used to have aluminum bolts, but that has changed. I actually liked the aluminum bolts for this reason: in a crash, the bolts break, but not the jug or crankcase. I continue to use them on my DA-100.
Low_Cal is offline Find More Posts by Low_Cal
Old 04-07-2011, 02:32 PM
Always flying
Joined Feb 2008
651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTank View Post
I have never had an issue with service of a used DA I bought when sending it to DA. I had a 3rd-hand DA100 back about 5 years ago that the connecting rods wore out after about 100 gallons. DA fixed it at the Joe Nall, free of charge for me. I offered to pay and they told me I was all set. I was shocked knowing that they knew it was a 3rd-hand motor and based on the nature of the issue, they took care of me.

Same thing with Gerhard at AI, I have screwed some things up that were my own fault (prop ejection last year at the SnapFest is a perfect example) and he helped me out and got it back to me quick.

I havent had experience with VV myself, but a good buddy of mine has. And he has had good experiences with Jodi and repairing a couple of 30s he has had whether it was crash damage, or other repair for issues.
It took a lot for me to post what I did. I expect that not everyone is going to read it and agree.
I'm also not as visible as you are in the RC world, so I would expect that you could almost hand them a box of parts and get a running motor in return without too much effort.

I may be one in a million that has had unfortunate dealings withg DA. Or, I am the only one to post about it.
Sorry guys, I read all the posts and think, hey I paid good hobby money for my stuff too, you know.
Old 04-07-2011, 02:53 PM
Find More Posts by jamesrxx951
IMAC NC ARD
Joined Jan 2009
11,130 Posts
I bought a da100 used and had a few problems with it. They sent me the parts to fix it no questions asked. I did have to send it in and they took care of it quickly. They even sent me a carb later on because i couldnt get it to stop leaking. They had to know i wasnt the original owner.
jamesrxx951 is offline Find More Posts by jamesrxx951
Old 04-07-2011, 03:00 PM
Find More Posts by mbacosa
United States, AZ, Scottsdale
Joined May 2008
2,094 Posts
Quote:
Completely false statement if I ever heard one. I also have personal experience with having DA service an engine that I bought used from a friend. There was no difference in the way I was treated. If it is their product they handle it regardless of where you bought it from. Nuff said.

These kind of threads always irritate me. It seems as though no one can give an honest opinion without being accused as being pro-DA or anti-DLE. I gave my honest opinion based on my experiences. Take it or leave it. I don't care.
mbacosa is offline Find More Posts by mbacosa
Old 04-07-2011, 03:19 PM
Find More Posts by hughsey
Closed Account
Joined Jun 2010
742 Posts
Can you buy parts for a DA??
hughsey is offline Find More Posts by hughsey
Old 04-07-2011, 03:22 PM
Find More Posts by castlebravo
It's the Summer Of George
United States, OR, Hillsboro
Joined Mar 2007
2,335 Posts
Quote:

Bought a used DA 150 from an individual. Called up DA to see if it had ever been in for repair or service....Asked if I could have it sent in for a check up, repair or replace anything that looked suspect.... well, that's a long ole story, but suffice to say, my service record with DA and Tony is completely differnet than what I was lead to believe from reading posts on these forums.
That engine wouldn't happen to have a "special" serial number.....does it? I know that they will not service engines that have a certain series of serial numbers because they are "grey market" engines salvaged from military test ranges.

CB
castlebravo is offline Find More Posts by castlebravo
Old 04-07-2011, 03:25 PM
Find More Posts by husker
Riley O'Brien
United States, NE, Lincoln
Joined Oct 2008
2,813 Posts
Quote:
It took a lot for me to post what I did. I expect that not everyone is going to read it and agree.
I'm also not as visible as you are in the RC world, so I would expect that you could almost hand them a box of parts and get a running motor in return without too much effort.

I may be one in a million that has had unfortunate dealings withg DA. Or, I am the only one to post about it.
Sorry guys, I read all the posts and think, hey I paid good hobby money for my stuff too, you know.
There are two sides to every story. I would like to hear both as there seems to be a lot of information missing here...

I work in customer service...if you go to a company with a poor attitude, have unreasonable expectations or a false sense of entitlement, or if you don't take the advice that is given(this is huge)...in almost every instance you will not get a resolution that is fair for both sides.

Another thing that I have noticed is that many customers equate good customer service as "free stuff". Yes free stuff is great but the goal of customer service is to help the customer enjoy their product...not give away free stuff to shut them up.
husker is offline Find More Posts by husker

Quick Reply